Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My top 10 movies

Originally posted by SinjinSB

I believe the word you guys are thinking of is COJONES.
    Anyone know the etymology...?

Back to film. Foreign favorites I listed elsewhere. Silents:Passion of Joan of arc,Sunrise, Metropolis,Pandora'sBox.
    FAVORITE:
    Biopic: Citizen Kane
    Romance: Vertigo, Casablanca
    Western: The Searchers
    Sci/Fi : 2001
    Musical:Singing in the Rain, the Red Shoes, American in Paris
    Comedy: Dr. Strangelove, Some like it Hot, Modern Times
    War Film:Apocalypse Now Redux, Platoon
    Religious Epic: Kundun, Last Temptation of Christ
    Sports film: Raging Bull, Hoop Dreams
    Film Noir: The Third Man, Chinatown, Touch of Evil
    Political Film: Salt of the Earth(1954)
    Horror: Repulsion(1965),
    Animation: Peter Pan, Spirited Away, Lion King
    Gangster Film: Godfather Part II

Originally posted by oscar jubis
    Back to film. Foreign favorites I listed elsewhere.
    Horror: Repulsion(1965),
    I'd have thought The Exorcist would have been head and shoulders above anything in this genre.

I like it! Ozzy likes it! Nuff said!

"I wrote THE EXORCIST because as I went along writing my funny books and screenplays, I felt I wasn't making a contribution to the welfare of the world"
    William Peter Blatty
    "Shallowness that asks to be taken seriously, like Blatty's, is an embarrasment"
    "The biggest recruiting poster the Catholic Church has had since The Bells of St. Mary"
    Pauline Kael

fermented Guest
    My ideals change every minute so that I can never really decide what movies go at the top of my list, but I definitely have some favorites.

Requiem for a Dream
    Pi
    Life is Beautiful
    Donnie Darko
    Most Kubrick films
    Most Gilliam films (including his Monty Python ones)
    Clerks
    Amelie
    Memento
    Gattaca
    Virgin Suicides
    Pink Floyd's: The Wall
    Koyaanisqatsi

What I like always depends on what I'm feeling like at the moment. And if a movie makes me cry, I have to include it.

Like your list, Fermented. My two favorites from it are Donnie Darko and Koyaanisqatsi. Just saw Naqoyqatsi which I didnt think was very good. Lots of stock footage, digital manipulations, but not too many of the vast breathtaking shots from the first. Donnie Darko is amazing. Another that I just saw recently... music, story, effects all great...
    P

Fermented's list is another impressive list.

Pi, Most Kubrick films, Most Gilliam films (including his Monty Python ones), Amelie, Memento, Koyaanisqatsi are of particular interest and ones I haven't seem on other lists much. Great choices! You have a great eye for the unusual and powerful movies. "Run, Lola, Run" comes to mind that isn't on your list. "Brazil" really made high marks and impression on me.

I did have problems with "Life is Beautiful" personally as it seemed to be two movies and unrealistic in the second half. "Gattaca" I think was very underrated and overlooked, though I don't know if I'd put it on my best movie list.

Very good list, Fermented, films with striking visuals and emotional impact. Most very recent. Then I realized I was also 20 when I began to dig deep into film history. Now, half of all films in my list(see above) were made before I was born, in '61. A treasure trove awaits you.
    I am glad to see VIRGIN SUICIDES on your list. I worried that the reason why I loved it was silly nostalgia for the 70s, which the film evokes so well.

The King LGM Guest

Here are mine

1. Carlito's Way
    2. The Shawshank Redemption
    3. Memento
    4. The Godfather Part II
    5. 12 Monkeys
    6. The Godfather
    7. Clerks
    8. Boyz N Tha Hood
    9. Hoop Dreams
    10. Pulp Fiction

Re: Here are mine

[QUOTE]Originally posted by The King LGM
    [B]1. Carlito's Way

Curious as to why this film speaks to you personally.
    In my opinion, the film excells during the action sequences, particularly the subway chase scene. I love the way De Palma moves his camera. Also, Sean Penn's performance finally convinced me he is America's best actor.
    Otherwise, the shallow treatment of Edwin Torres' books by David Koepp, the woefully miscast Penelope Ann Miller, and Pacino's accent (or accents- at times he seems to forget he is no longer playing Colonel Slade from Scent of a Woman) almost ruin the film for me.
    So many other crime films more accomplished, De Palma's own The Untouchables included.

The King LGM Guest
    I love the story most of all. The urban images of New York City in the 70's with a disco feel, but not disco driven. A portrayal of latinos as top of the line gangsters instead of stupid stick up kids. Pacino is my favorite actor and there are plenty of other performances where he has done better (Godfather I & II, Dog Day Afternoon, Serpico, Scent of a Woman...) but I love his character. I can watch this film over and over and not get sick of it. Benny Blanco's line at the end, "Hey member me? Benny Blanco from da Bronx" still gives me a chill, and an "oh no" feeling. And as you already mentioned, Sean Penn's acting is easily the best in this film and he should have been given the academy award for best supporting actor.

Carlito's Way is not the best film I've seen, but it is my favorite.

I appreciate your interest in the portrayal of Latinos in American films. We are clearly under-represented. African-americans had the same problem before the emergence of Spike Lee in the late 80s. Then again, no Latino director working in Hollywood(Arau, Nava, Rodriguez, Mandoki,etc) has come close to the brilliance of Do the Right Thing.
    The film images that best evoke NYC for me have been created by Mr. Lee and "pantheon" directors Marty Scorsese and Woody Allen. Gangster movies are beginning to bore me, particularly those that glamorize violence. On the other hand, I'll probably see Gangs of New York twice during opening weekend.

Top Tens or whatever

To look at a person's top ten films reveals a lot about that person. First of all, their age. If a person lists a film like Gone With The Wind, you can probably assume that person is older. If a person lists Gladiator, it is probably a younger person. Like wise, if all the films are of a horror genre. You can believe that person likes little else. I've noticed that people who list a wide variety and base that on films they've actually watched, and not just read about, are the "true" film enthusiast, who is also probably college educated and probably also studied film either as a major or an elective. What absolute slays me, is having someone list some really great movies and then have Blazing Saddles or Airplane on the list. While these are really funny films, they look absurd next to movies like Third Man or Schindler's List.

Most film enthusiasts have lists that are miles long. To narrow them down to ten is almost rediculous. I have ten films in each genre practically that need mentioning, let alone a general catagory called Best of all time. Foreign films alone constitute some of the finest movies ever made and are the most over looked, like Kurosowa. I'm sure we all have IMDB.COM in our databases. And trilogies don't count! Each film has it's own merit.

Well, if I must...

1. Citizen Kane
    2. The Godfather
    3. Gone With The Wind (I had to)
    4. Cries and Whispers
    5. The Seven Samuri
    6. Schindler's List
    7. Lawrence of Arabia
    8. Vertigo
    9. Ben Hur
    10. ... you'll just have to guess who I would have named for number ten...

Titanic? Fellowship of the Ring? Star Wars-A New Hope? 8 1/2? the list grows longer every day, my friends. Just look at the hundreds of films I am leaving out. I'm ashamed to even make a list, there are so many I love that are missing from it.

Darn good list!

You old person you! :"Gone with the Wind"

Just kidding! :)

When some people put a top ten list together, they are putting together a list of the best films ever made and others are putting together a list of their "ten favorite films", I know my "top ten films ever made" list differs from my "favorite ten films" list.

What Film Lists Reveal?

I like your list, cinemabon, and I like your remarks about favorite movies. I particularly underline your mention of foreign films. I wonder how many of those who use this forum have seen many foreign films. I really don’t know where the “majority” stands on this, but, for example, jacobic216, who started this thread, lists two dozen films, and not one of them is foreign. Eight of the lists here did not include a single foreign film. Of the five lists which did include foreign films, one listed only one, three listed only two, and one listed five. I did not include those of oscar jubis, as he lists his foreign favorites separately.

Kurosawa’s films are the most often mentioned foreign films on these lists. Yours is the only one to list a Bergman piece. One list included Life is Beautiful and Amelie. Amelie is certainly a fine film, but I have to admit that I personally could not stomach Life is Beautiful. We all like different things. Anyway, what does this suggest? Have people just not seen foreign films, or do they not like them enough to consider them favorites? If the former, I suggest there is a vast untapped resource.

Originally posted by cinemabon
    To look at a person's top ten films reveals a lot about that person. First of all, their age. If a person lists a film like Gone With The Wind, you can probably assume that person is older. If a person lists Gladiator, it is probably a younger person.
    When I read these lists I frequently have similar thoughts, but perhaps these kinds of judgements are only guesses. I think I am the only one to list Gladiator, for example, but I suspect I am older (mid sixties) than most of the rest of you. Like you, and probably most of us on this forum, there are really many films I might list. I have been asked many times about my favorite films, and the question would always leave me speechless. Finally, I tried to put down a list and ended up with over a hundred films, even after leaving off many that I really like.

What might be more revealing is the films you don’t like. I mentioned Life Is Beautiful. Two films I often hear praised that I cannot stand are Waiting for Guffman and Forrest Gump. Another film I thought was dreadful was Moulin Rouge (I have to admit here that I did not see it all the way through. For me it was dreadfully boring, had nothing to say, and was doing that very ineffectively, so after being tortured through more than half of it I left.). What does that say about me? I can hardly wait for the judgements on that.

for stevetseitz

What criteria separates your Top Ten Films Ever Made list from your Favorite Ten Films lists?
    Last edited by docraven; 11-25-2002 at 02:19 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast