Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: My top 10 movies

Beulah Bondi rocks!

B.Bondi is hilarious in Southerner. She continued acting into her 80s, including Jimmy Stewart's Ma in It's a Wonderful Life. By the way, Fave "doobie movie": Brian de Palma's Phantom of Paradise, a fevered pastiche of Goethe's Faust, Phantom of the Opera and schlock rock, recently released on DVD. It deserved the cult following of the much inferior Rocky Horror. Life ain't fair.

Must confess I haven't seen Phantom of the Paradise, but it looks like my cup of tea. Herbal tea, that is! (Ba dum bump)
    I've always looked at the DVD when at the store- what the hell is that spacemask thing? Is that the "phantom"? Maybe I'll pick it up for myself for Christmas.
    I love to watch trippy stuff every now an' then:

Yellow Sub
    Magical Mystery Tour
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
    More
    Syd Barrett's First Trip
    HWY (Jim Morrison directed!)
    Lion's Love
    The Wall
    FelliniSatyricon (hell, ALL Fellini is psychedelic)
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

The Eclectic Group

I can just picture us all in one room...Johann, Doc, Oscar, Steve, and I. The lights dim, we watch [perhaps something by Fellini, like Roma, or DePalma, like Sisters, or one of my favorites, Bergman's Cries and Whispers]...the lights come up. There is a table in the middle of our chairs. On the table is a joint, bottled water, a fifth of Bourbon, some Cigars, herbal tea, and Ephraim Katz latest version of The Film Encyclopedia to settle arguments (does there have to be a lap top?). Who will grab which enhancer? Or remain pure to their "bodily fluids" (see Dr. Strangelove) We discuss the film till one o'clock in the morning, at which time we flip to decide whether we break for sleep or start a movie marathon. We vote for the next film and cue up the projector...

One can wish for Christmas, can't I?

Thanks to all of you this year, for sharing with me/us all, some new insights into the movies, yourselves, and life in general. I look forward to the new year, new filmmakers, new thrills in the dark, and all of you to give it the proper perspective.

I thought I really knew a lot about the movies. I did, till I met you guys! Thanks for inviting me to your very wonderful and unique film forum. Take care. See you online, and in line at the movies. Happy Holidays. Happy New Year.

Chestnuts roasting on an open fire.....
    Jack Frost renting 400 Blows....
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Now that's a Christmas Party !

Just as watching a fine film can be a learning experience, so can discussing one. It's fun to get other perspectives. Ages ago when I worked at a small "mom&pop" video store, my favorite thing was the employee's pick wall. We would all get to pick 3 or 4 films each week and it was always fascinating to see who picked which movies and then discuss the choices. This always led to some lively debate.

The Gift of the Unknown Treasure

Originally posted by cinemabon We discuss the film till one o'clock in the morning, at which time we flip to decide whether we break for sleep or start a movie marathon.

One can wish for Christmas, can't I?
    I'd say brew some mountain-grown and go for the double bill. Each guy picks 2 faves that have been overlooked, neglected or forgotten and we have ourselves a festival. Actually that has already happened here as films y'all have mentioned top my Rent or Buy list. I don't have the background in film school, exhibition, etc. that informs your valuable insights. I do remember saturday matinees with my otherwise stern and distant dad; getting heartbroken by Bambi and emboldened by Peter Pan. I remember falling in love with the movies and not letting go.
    Thanks fellas and happy holidays.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345