Thread: A hotdog, soda and popcorn rolled into one

A hotdog, soda and popcorn rolled into one

My son and I thoroughly enjoyed this film... it is nothing more than it pretends to be, summer fluff. No subtle messages. No underlying political tones. Nothing but thrills, fun and adventure. Many scenes are a bit cliche, since we've seen the rolling through the jungle before, and the strange pirates on a mystery ship. We pretty much knew what to expect before we got there. Though the time drags on a bit about 3/4 through, this is strickly Disney fair for parents and the kiddies. Grab the popcorn and take it on face value, special effects, sword fights, and of course, the up-in-the-air-ending, setting up the next sequel (with a surprise walk-on). Don't expect Depp to get any nominations this time... at least, not for this flick.
    Colige suspectos semper habitos

Boring, boring, boring

This movie is one of the few that my wife and I have agreed on in regards as to how boring it turned out to be. There was so much effort to be funny and it wasn't funny. There was just so much warmed over comedy and convoluted or manipulated humor that we both just wanted the movie to be over with. Our rare joint opinion of course doesn't seemed to be shared by the vast majority of audience members that have spent an enormous sum of money on this film.

Attitude, attitude, attitude

As with anything this shallow, one must enter with an air of superficiality... that is, put your 'Valley Girl' head on. Then, the slightest little thing titilates it!

Originality versus Blandness

Even with my mind turned off, I couldn't really laugh with the jokes in this movie because it even seemed that the whole production was so forced. Great effort seemed to be made to use old jokes, the same lines while at the same time attempting to insert new material. It was the apparent effort of the script writers and the actors that got in the way of my enjoyment because I was so apparent that I had experienced much of the same material many, many times before. Watching the movie was like watching the same movie I had seen over and over and over again.

A Hackneyed cough... all puns intended

I had the same feeling earlier this year with MI: III! However, Tom and Jerry are laughing all the way the bank, while we poor film-philes must suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous farfetched plots! Where's a good Englishman when you need one (or woman for that matter!)?

Nanny McPhee???

cinemabon

Where's a good Englishman when you need one (or woman for that matter!)?
    Emma Thompson perhaps in Nanny McPhee (2006).

Shakespeare

I did not review the DVD for the same reason I did not put much depth into the film review. However, the DVD is entertaining and as much as any film, is worth seeing if only for its "fun" quotient.

yaaah_69 Guest

Pirates of the Carabbean

It hurts, it hurts Laughing so hard I almost split something a really great franchise. ciao yaaah69

First of all spell it correctly, Caribbean. Secondly, I don't understand your comment. Please make some sort of appropriate comment. Did you split your sides laughing or did you split your idea about the franchise?