Originally posted by Chris Knipp
Of course one doesn't champion a story about one's group unless one think's it's well done

I know I don't. I don't make any allowances. I'll give you an example. I think the film A Day Without a Mexican, based on factual data about the contributions made by Hispanics to American society (including the contributions made by undocumented, illegal, so-called aliens) has important things to say. I even fantasize that citizens with anti-immigrant bias could somehow be forced to watch it Clockwork Orange-style. But I would never say it's a good film. I would never overlook its flaws and limitations in order to champion it.

I think you have to admit Quinceanera is naturally of more interest to you than to me

I would never assume that is the case just because your last name is not Rodriguez. I certainly have to admit it, now that you've told me. I know too many non-hispanic whites who love latino culture to simply assume a film about Hispanics would "naturally" be of more interest to you than to me. My brother Rolando has lived in Southeast Asia for 15 years because that's where he feels most comfortable. Is this un-natural?

it's not too extravagant to say this is one of the best US films so far, but frankly, there isn't a very good list.

Often studios wait until late in the year to release films they believe have Oscar-potential. I like A Scanner Darkly, The Illusionist, United 93, Thank You for Smoking and A Prairie Home Companion. But that's a short list and I expect even better films to come out within the next four months.

There is a certain value in an outsider viewpoint, which the boys certainly have on the chicanos of Echo Park, but they're not exactly the ideal kind of outsiders; what is needed are people born into the culture but not entirely of it

The ideal viewpoint for me is that of a person of any racial or ethnic background who is observant, sensitive and insanely curious. Notice that the writer/director of Victor Vargas, which is a good film but narrower in scope and ambition compared to Quinceanera, is also a non-hispanic white (perhaps the most accurate term because there are Hispanics who are white or Anglo).

For the rest, I'm sorry that you let fly at Schwartzbaum, and her, no doubt, politically incorrect point that the filmmakers, she thinks, are patronizing or cultivating the 'colorful' culture of their neighbors. I did not print my review here, but you could have referred to my arguments, rather than just to accuse me and Schwartzbaum of prejudice, and hold up your own lack of bias for admiration.

How can you both disagree with my point of view and find it worthy of "admiration"? It's not clear to me to what extent you suscribe to Schwatzbaum's opinion so I referred exclusively to "the statement by the EW critic". I repeat, the logical progression or implication of that statement is "you can't possibly understand us because you are one of them" . I genuinely deplore that clickish, tribalist, ethnocentric stance even if you think I do "for admiration".