Originally posted by Chris Knipp
you're overrating it, partly due to personal predisposition
This is truly insulting. Nothing I've posted over four years and nothing I say will change your opinion that I am predisposed to overrate Quinceanera because of my background ("partly"). I have to carry it like a fucking cross and not have my opinion (not a "godlike" judgement, just a guy's opinion) taken seriously because I am Hispanic. All the non-Hispanic critics from the publications quoted below can hail the film without being suspected of bias, but Oscar's take is tainted because of his background. I won't subject myself to any more abuse.

"As smart and warmhearted an exploration of an upwardly mobile immigrant culture as American independent cinema has produced"
New York Times

"Quinceanera took both the Dramatic Grand Jury and Audience Award at this year's Sundance Film Festival, and it's easy to see why."
Chicago Tribune

"The filmmakers claim to have revived kitchen-sink realism. What Quinceanera does offer is charm, sensitivity and intelligence"
Seattle Post

"It veers off in a completely different direction_actually numerous directions, all of which will entice you to follow."
"They have given the film a remarkable sense of place"
"...nuanced script, which they have directed with obvious love"
San Francisco Chronicle

"This is a fresh, spirited drama; charming and unpretentious"
Variety

"A fascinating look at the area's Mexican-American milieu and other local subcultures full of feeling, insight and touching performances."
Chicago Reader

"Saucy, rowdy, heartfelt and terribly sweet."
"Neither skirts nor condescends to the difficulties faced by poor urban communities assailed by rapid change."
"It's an untidy, vital slice of Latino life with a loving sense of place and a giddy improvisational feel."
Village Voice

"The film is serious and thoughtful but not overwrought"
Austin Chronicle

"As sweet and gentle as it is, Quinceanera is quite clear-eyed about human cruelty and indifference. In structure, however, there's a circularity to the film that allows it to end on a well-deserved upbeat note"
Los Angeles Times

None of the critics from these publications will ever be accused of ethnic "predisposition". I envy them for that.