Thread: Top Ten of 2006 of the Common Man

Top Ten of 2006 of the Common Man

1. Sweet Little Sunshine (2006). One of the best little surprises of 2006, this fun, entertaining R-rated family comedy-drama delights, saddens, and enlightens on a trip of a family to send a little girl to a beauty-talent show.

2. United 93 (2006). The first feature length theatrical film to come out concerning 9/11 terrorist attack. A solid and stunning realistic portrayal of events concerning United flight 93 from the plane's occupant's, the FAA, and the military response.

3. The Prestige (2006). Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale, Scarlett Johanssen, Michael Caine star in this murder-mystery-thriller that is character driven and plenty of twists and tight scriptwriting.

4. The Da Vinci Code (2006). An entertaining and intellectually stimulating movie regarding a religious conspiracy to cover up Jesus and his relationship with Mary of the Magdalene starring Tom Hanks and directed by Ron Howard.

5. Akeelah and The Bee (2006). A fascinating and interesting movie about a young black girl's attempt to win a spelling contest.

6. The Last Kiss (2006). A good portrayal of several relationships and how love and sex can complicate them.

7. The Devil Wears Prada (2006). Meryl Streep brings an edgy, devil of a high fashion industry boss to the screen in this comedy-drama starring Ann Hathaway with a great underplayed role as an assistant.

8. Superman Returns (2006). A luscious, super energized version of the superhero.

9. The Lake House (2006). This movie reunites the Speed cast of Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves in this romantic comedy about two individuals in love but living two years apart of each other, corresponding through a mailbox. Captivating and fun, with a delightful use of time paradox fantasy effects.

10. Basic Instinct 2 (2006). A nice sequel of the original psychological thriller with plenty of twists and turns. Under-rated.

11. Miami Vice (2006). Michael Mann's produces a thoughtful, hard-hitting, gorgeous crime thriller.

12. Hollywoodland (2006). Ben Affleck plays George Reeves (of television's Superman fame) along with Diane Lane as his sophisticated married mistress in this powerfully sensitive look at his death.

Have not seen yet:

All The King's Men
    Babel
    The Departed
    Flags of our Fathers
    The Good Sherpard
    Infamous
    Marie Antoinette
    Match Point
    The Last King of Scotland
    The Pursuit of Happyness
    The Queen
    Thank You for Not Smoking

Have Seen:

Inside Man
    Kiss, Kiss Bang Bang
    A Scanner Darkly
    The Science of Sleep
    V For Vendetta

What makes you "the common man"? Isn't it too early for a 2006 Top 10?

Common Man

One thesis that I have had is that while almost all movie critics and film commentators have focused exclusively on great movies, they have inevitably overlooked the possible increasing quality of mainstream film-making. Each genre, particularly comedy romance, comedy drama have been relegated to the pitsville of cinema reviews.

The Devil Wears Prada is a great example of a female teenage focused movie but at the same time has a dazzling, icy performance by Meryl Streep as well as a very competent script. However because of the nature of its intended audience, the nature of the subject matter, it probably won't get the dramatic attention of the art films nor Oscar-caliber movies. Yet underneath films such as these are a maturing, richness in overall quality films that is being overlooked by movie critics - thus my self-designation of the common man.

It's almost November, two more months until the end of this year's movie season. What's remaining in terms of looking forward to movies, especially in terms of what's hot is nearly finished, and I believe that it's possible to look at this year's crop of 2006 movies as a whole, seen and unseen to begin looking, discussing, and expecting what this year has been like. I've listed those movies I haven't seen, both released and unreleased that I believe are worthy for consideration of top movies this year.

My overall opinion is that while this year's crop of movies has not produced the excitement of former years, the average movie quality has continued to nudge up a bit, echoing my earlier belief about movies.

Originally posted by tabuno
    while almost all movie critics and film commentators have focused exclusively on great movies, they have inevitably overlooked the possible increasing quality of mainstream film-making.

This makes it sound like "great movies" can not also be "mainstream" movies, and I don't think that's what you mean. Moreover, movie critics review everything, not "exclusively great movies".

The Devil Wears Prada is a great example of a female teenage focused movie but at the same time has a dazzling, icy performance by Meryl Streep as well as a very competent script. However because of the nature of its intended audience, the nature of the subject matter, it probably won't get the dramatic attention of the art films nor Oscar-caliber movies.

I beg to differ. Streep's preformance will get a nomination and consequently the film will receive added publicity (or what you call "dramatic attention").

It's almost November, two more months until the end of this year's movie season. What's remaining in terms of looking forward to movies, especially in terms of what's hot is nearly finished, and I believe that it's possible to look at this year's crop of 2006 movies as a whole, seen and unseen to begin looking, discussing, and expecting what this year has been like.

Ok, you're right, it's time for the discussion to start. Just keep in mind that there are a dozen films with Oscar aspirations that have yet to open. Some of them will open in late December in NY and L.A. to qualify for Oscar and may not open in your multi-plex until January or early February. We can discuss the films we like so far, but you won't see my list until late February.

My overall opinion is that while this year's crop of movies has not produced the excitement of former years, the average movie quality has continued to nudge up a bit, echoing my earlier belief about movies.

It's hard to prove or disprove your theory. In my opinion, mainstream movies were mediocre during the 80s when Hollywood invested too much money on dubious expensive projects of little quality and the indie movement flourished. By the early 90s, the indies invigorated studio-filmmaking and the quality of "mainstream" movies improved. Your favorite film of 2006 happens to be an "indie" bought by a big studio at Sundance. It was a limited release initially and it did very well. Finally, on it's fifth week of release, it reached the 1,000+ screens nationwide that for me signify the film is "mainstream".

A goodly proportion of the best movies released in the US come out in December.

I like it too when a mainstream picture is really fine, but I think the categories are rather blurred in this list as the reference to Little Miss Sunshine indicates.

If only my income could cover my passion for film...

2006 was a good year for film I think.
    A handful of great ones can make up for a slew of horrible ones.

I agree it may be too early for lists- December is always a month to anticipate.

The Queen & All the King's Men are movies I want to see. They seem to be in the upper eschelon (Mirren, Penn).

Babel is a movie I want to see for the direction and Cate Blanchett- she can do no wrong in my book.
    Has anyone seen The Man Who Cried?
    Sacha Vierny's last film?
    Cate is incredible in it. (plus Ricci & Depp do the nasty)

Flags of our Fathers is a film I don't want to see.

I love Clint Eastwood's films, I loved Saving Private Ryan &
    Band of Brothers, but they seem to be going to the well too many times with that style.

I've seen the trailer about 15 times now and it bores me.
    U.S. propaganda over that Iwo Jima photo? O.K.
    Reminds me of a certain chimp on an aircraft carrier with a banner behind him...
    I guess the story should be told- not many know about Iwo Jima
    & the "heroes". I'll pass.
    That word JINGOISTIC is bopping around in my head.
    This film is Oscar fodder.
    Eastwood has a lock on what the Academy likes.

Devil Wears Prada I avoided. The title turns me off.
    Just like if there was a film called "God wears Gucci" or "Dalai Lama wears Izrahi" or "Lucifer likes Hilfiger"- fuck off with those stupid fashionista slogan-like titles.
    Turns me off completely, even if it stars Streep.

I'm upset I missed A Scanner Darkly and Miami Vice- I like both those directors.

I've heard great things about Inside Man & Match Point

Ebert & Roeper both praised Akeelah and the Bee.
    Hollywoodland looked good too- missed it as well.

SUPERMAN was the best entertainment of the year for me. (Along with V For Vendetta & X-Men)

World Trade Center was the most important, but United 93 may have been better- I haven't seen it. VERY IMPORTANT FILMS.

THE DEPARTED will get oscar nominations.
    I've already got money on Scorsese taking Best Director.
    Last edited by Johann; 10-31-2006 at 02:50 PM.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Johann
    Flags of our Fathers is a film I don't want to see.

I love Clint Eastwood's films, I loved Saving Private Ryan &
    Band of Brothers, but they seem to be going to the well too many times with that style.

I've seen the trailer about 15 times now and it bores me.
    U.S. propaganda over that Iwo Jima photo? O.K.
    Reminds me of a certain chimp on an aircraft carrier with a banner behind him...
    I guess the story should be told- not many know about Iwo Jima
    & the "heroes". I'll pass.
    That word JINGOISTIC is bopping around in my head.

I wish I could change your mind, Johann. And I will write a post about the film partly because somebody has to, as everyone here seems to be avoiding the latest film from a director with a proven track record. Eastwood may be old but this is not "your father's" WW II picture, even though it looks like one. It's a shame I don't have your skill at transferring my enthusiasm for a film into eloquent words.

Skill?

I just say what's on my mind
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Eastwood may be old but this is not "your father's" WW II picture, even though it looks like one.
    That's quite true. It isn't what the trailers make it look like at all. It's a reexamination and it has ironies. I want to post something on it too, but just haven't had the time or energy yet.

*Whatever it is, Johann, your writing often gives me "a warm fuzzy feeling in my guttiwuts".

*I take it you liked Flags, Chris, and I'm glad. I wish I could write more here at FilmLeaf but my leisure time has been occupied with a lot of film watching. Right now, there are still several films in regular theatres I want to watch, plus a New French Film Series (which include two world! premieres), and the Fort Lauderdale Film Festival. Moreover, my rental shop's owner came back from Buenos Aires with a bunch of foreign dvds including The Dignity of the Nobodies (reviewed by Chris during the SFIFF but thread doesn't allow responses), Aristarain's Roma, and European films released in Argentina but not here.

*I assume Tabuno must be busy too.