Maybe this topic will generate a bit of traffic here. I was wondering if anyone had a favorite holiday-related movie. One that you've watched more than once with pleasure or that has a special meaning to you. Most holiday movies revolve around Christmas. Given that I'm not attracted to Christianity or Capitalism, it feels odd to be the person introducing this topic. In general, religion and spirituality feel foreign to me. Yet a high number of my very favorite movies deal with these topics. Movies like Kundun, The Flowers of St. Francis, Diary of a Country Priest, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Breaking the Waves, and many others. Perhaps there is an exotic element in spiritual films that appeals to me.

When it comes to specifically "holiday movies", I have two clear favorites:

Meet Me in St. Louis
This magnificent Technicolor musical was directed by Vicente Minelli in 1944. It received 4 Academy nominations but it didn't win a single Oscar. A favorite moment involves Esther (Judy Garland) consoling her distraught kid sister Tootie with a rendition of the wistful "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas".

Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas in Disney Digital 3-D
This is a 2006 re-release of Burton's 1993 picture in a format that perfectly complements its stop-motion animation. The story finds an ingenious way to connect Halloween and Christmas motifs. The Nightmare Before Christmas is deliriously inventive and Danny Elfman's music score is a constant delight.