GOLDEN GLOBES: Nominations

Best Motion Picture - Drama

Babel (2006)
    Bobby (2006)
    The Departed (2006)
    Little Children (2006)
    The Queen (2006)

Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy

Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan (2006)
    The Devil Wears Prada (2006)
    Dreamgirls (2006)
    Little Miss Sunshine (2006)
    Thank You for Smoking (2005)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama

Leonardo DiCaprio for Blood Diamond (2006)
    Leonardo DiCaprio for The Departed (2006)
    Peter O'Toole for Venus (2006/I)
    Will Smith for The Pursuit of Happyness (2006)
    Forest Whitaker for The Last King of Scotland (2006)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama

Penélope Cruz for Volver (2006/I)
    Judi Dench for Notes on a Scandal (2006)
    Maggie Gyllenhaal for SherryBaby (2006)
    Helen Mirren for The Queen (2006)
    Kate Winslet for Little Children (2006)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy

Sacha Baron Cohen for Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan (2006)
    Johnny Depp for Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006)
    Aaron Eckhart for Thank You for Smoking (2005)
    Chiwetel Ejiofor for Kinky Boots (2005)
    Will Ferrell for Stranger Than Fiction (2006)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy

Annette Bening for Running with Scissors (2006)
    Toni Collette for Little Miss Sunshine (2006)
    Beyoncé Knowles for Dreamgirls (2006)
    Meryl Streep for The Devil Wears Prada (2006)
    Renée Zellweger for Miss Potter (2006)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture

Ben Affleck for Hollywoodland (2006)
    Eddie Murphy for Dreamgirls (2006)
    Jack Nicholson for The Departed (2006)
    Brad Pitt for Babel (2006)
    Mark Wahlberg for The Departed (2006)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture

Adriana Barraza for Babel (2006)
    Cate Blanchett for Notes on a Scandal (2006)
    Emily Blunt for The Devil Wears Prada (2006)
    Jennifer Hudson for Dreamgirls (2006)
    Rinko Kikuchi for Babel (2006)

Best Director - Motion Picture

Clint Eastwood for Flags of Our Fathers (2006)
    Clint Eastwood for Letters from Iwo Jima (2006)
    Stephen Frears for The Queen (2006)
    Alejandro González Iñárritu for Babel (2006)
    Martin Scorsese for The Departed (2006)

Best Screenplay - Motion Picture

Babel (2006): Guillermo Arriaga
    The Departed (2006): William Monahan
    Little Children (2006): Todd Field, Tom Perrotta
    Notes on a Scandal (2006): Patrick Marber
    The Queen (2006): Peter Morgan

Best Original Song - Motion Picture

Bobby (2006)("Never Gonna Break My Faith")
    Dreamgirls (2006)("Listen")
    Happy Feet (2006)("The Song of the Heart")
    Home of the Brave (2006)("Try Not to Remember")
    The Pursuit of Happyness (2006)("A Father's Way")

Best Original Score - Motion Picture

Babel (2006): Gustavo Santaolalla
    The Da Vinci Code (2006): Hans Zimmer
    The Fountain (2006): Clint Mansell
    Nomad (2005/II): Carlo Siliotto
    The Painted Veil (2006): Alexandre Desplat

Best Foreign Language Film

Apocalypto (2006)
    Laberinto del Fauno, El (2006)
    Leben der Anderen, Das (2006)
    Letters from Iwo Jima (2006)
    Volver (2006/I)

Best Animated Film

Cars (2006)
    Happy Feet (2006)
    Monster House (2006)

Do you find any suprises here?

I haven't seen all of them; several aren't out yet, so I guess you haven't either, Oscar. I didn't know Letters from Iwa Jima was coming out this year.

I am surprised by Apocalypto getting a nomination. I would be extremely surprised if it beats Volver for Best Foreign.
    Mildly surprised voters remembered Chiwetel Ejiofor's performance in Kinky Boots.

Yes, I see.

I wish I could pick some other candidates for Best Foreign -- not by American directors! -- I liked as did many others The Death of Mr. Lazarescu and also (unlike many) Le Petit Lieutenant (Beauvois). Was Kings and Queen (Desplechin) not released here this year?, They're going for mainstream stuff. Never got around to seeing Kinky Boots myself, the trailor made it look so obvious and formulaic. But people love to see an actor play against type.

I would say, no chances taken, but that's never a surprise, just the usual disappointment.

Yes, the wonderful Kings and Queens was released in 2005. I wasn't able to find the elegibility criteria for the Golden Globes or the list of 56 elegible foreign titles. Of the ones nominated this year, I've only seen Volver so I can't comment on the quality of the nominees. The Taste of Others won several European Film Awards (opens 2/7/07 in NY/LA). I also think The Death of Mr. Lazarescu is special. You already know Three Times is my favorite film of 2007, although there are plenty of films I haven't seen. Among them these G. Globe nominees: Dreamgirls, Venus, Sherrybaby, Notes on a Scandal, Letters from Iwo Jima, Ms. Potter.
    Kinky Boots is obvious and formulaic, but it's not a bad movie. It's better than Click and other comedies that succeeded at the box office. I'll be rooting for Mr. Cohen in that category.

I guess this list of Oscar contender foreign films isn't what you mean and you are speaking of a list of all foreign films released in the US in 2006. I could use such a list too. I am I confused by seeing some of them last year in a festival, and some of them had obsucre releases. Where was Dr. Lazarescu and Three Times shown? Not too widely, though I did seem them mentioned in TimeOut NY at some point, when I wasn't there. I saw them at the NYFF.

You meant the Lives not Taste of Others, of course--Germany, "The Lives of Others," Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck, vs. Le gout des autres, the Agnes Jaoui film of 2000. . I guess your giving 2007 for Three Times is a slip for 2006--it seems to have a limited release listed for the US in April of this year. The Death of Mr. Lazarescu we agree stands out. I already put it in my Best Lists in the unreleased in the US category.

Between something already seen in another country, and in festivals, and something shown for two minutes and slightly reviewed in the US, the difference is somewhat artificial.

The ones you haven't seen -- "Dreamgirls, Venus, Sherrybaby, Notes on a Scandal, Letters from Iwo Jima, Ms. Potter" -- are mostly not out yet., of course Dreamgirls is showing in NYC now as of Friday, but so far only at one special theater, the Ziegfield, and it's sold out today. I guess Sherrybaby is the Maggie Gyllenhaal one, which has come and gone, and I missed that. Cannot locate a "Ms. Potter." Venus is Dec. 21, Iwo Jima Dec. 20 -- NYC release days, culled by me from TimeOut NY's current issue.

Originally posted by Chris Knipp
    I guess this list of Oscar contender foreign films isn't what you mean and you are speaking of a list of all foreign films released in the US in 2006.

This list of 61 Oscar-elegible films you provide is useful (thanks) but I was referring to the list of 56 Golden Globe-elegible foreign films. The official site does not provide it.

Where was Dr. Lazarescu and Three Times shown?

Both are official 2006 releases in the US, both played on limited basis (as most foreign films do nowadays) but luckily for me both played in theatres here.

You meant the Lives not Taste of Others, of course--

Yes I meant the Lives of Others. My bad.

The Death of Mr. Lazarescu we agree stands out. I already put it in my Best Lists in the unreleased in the US category.

You put it in your unreleased category for 2005, right? In 2006, it would qualify in the released category.

I guess Sherrybaby is the Maggie Gyllenhaal one, which has come and gone, and I missed that.

I'm upset IFC released only in 4 cities (NYC, LA, SF, and Chicago). Out on dvd on 1/27/07. I'm a big fan of Maggie Gyllenhaal.

Cannot locate a "Ms. Potter."

It's Miss Potter. A biopic of Beatrix Potter, the author of "The Tale of Peter Rabbit". Opens in NY/La on 12/29/06. Goes wide two weeks later.

Miss Potter doesn't seem to be in any of TimeOut New York's various listings of movies to be shown in the city in the second half of December.

Tonight on NBC at 8 (est)

Tim Allen, Jessica Biel, Sean Combs, Jamie Foxx, Jennifer Garner, Dustin Hoffman, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Djimon Hounsou, Steven Spielberg and Renee Zellweger have been set as presenters at “The 64th Annual Golden Globe Awards” to be telecast live on NBC Monday, January 15 (8 – 11:00 p.m. EST)

GOLDEN GLOBES: Winners

Best Motion Picture - Drama
    Babel (2006)

Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
    Dreamgirls (2006)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama
    Forest Whitaker for The Last King of Scotland (2006)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama
    Helen Mirren for The Queen (2006)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
    Sacha Baron Cohen for Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan (2006)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
    Meryl Streep for The Devil Wears Prada (2006)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture
    Eddie Murphy for Dreamgirls (2006)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture
    Jennifer Hudson for Dreamgirls (2006)

Best Director - Motion Picture
    Martin Scorsese for The Departed (2006)

Best Screenplay - Motion Picture
    The Queen (2006): Peter Morgan

Best Original Song - Motion Picture
    Happy Feet (2006)("The Song of the Heart" by Prince)

Best Original Score - Motion Picture
    The Painted Veil (2006): Alexandre Desplat

Best Foreign Language Film
    Letters from Iwo Jima (2006)

Best Animated Film
    Cars (2006)

I don't know about Babel being an absolute best picture, but it's the most imposing one on their list.

Cars....I missed that one....but then I missed most of the animations, as usual.... The one I slightly wanted to see was Happy Feet to see Savion Glover's footwork grafted onto the penguin, for which he got no credits, though he was quoted in a NYTimes article as not minding that a bit, just glad tap dancing was getting featured in a kids movie.

Nothing much to quarrel with here. You can't be too upset that Eddie Murphy got a reward for doing something tasteful for a change; or for Helen Mirren's elegant work; or Forrest Whittaker's amazing tour-de-force; Meryl Streep's delicious exercise in stylish bitchiness; Jennifer Hudson's soulfulness. I have expressed myself before about Borat, though its star is in some ways remarkable. He does know how to keep a straight face anyway.

The Golden Globes isn't just what we see above but also quite a lot of television awards for shows that from the glimpses they showed, don't seem to me to suggest TV is actually better than ever, after all, as some seem to say. I was glad to see Bill Nighy and Alec Baldwin get acting awards for TV work though. Not to mention Hellen Mirren, again.

I like Letters from Iwo Jima and think Eastwood's WWII diptych is impressive, but isn't it a bit odd the best foreign film's supposedly by an american director? And then shouldn't there have been another category of best American film by a foreign director who never made an American film before, which would go to Gabriele Muccino, who never directed an American fim before The Pursuit of Happyness. I saw a commercial making-of for it, and it sounded like his American associates did most of the putting together of the movie. Now I wonder how good Clint's Japanese is..... Both fine directors though, even if they had to phone it in... it all goes to show filmmaking is a team effort.

Originally posted by Chris Knipp
    I don't know about Babel being an absolute best picture, but it's the most imposing one on their list.
    I like it less than both Bobby and The Queen.

Cars....I missed that one....but then I missed most of the animations, as usual....
    I watched all the other animated films this year, but not Cars (which I'll be watching on dvd soon). My favorite animated movie of the year is by far The Nightmare Before Christnas 3D, followed by A Scanner Darkly. If we go by metacritic, critics liked Happy Feet (77) and Flushed Away (74) a little more than Cars (73). My son LOVED Happy Feet. The crits at Time mag put Cars in their Top 10.

Nothing much to quarrel with here. You can't be too upset that Eddie Murphy got a reward for doing something tasteful for a change
    He's got a movie coming out in which he plays two characters. One is an insanely obese woman.

Meryl Streep's delicious exercise in stylish bitchiness
    Meryl's acceptance speech was a beautiful thing. She's grand. She talked about how her movie played at thousands of theatres simultaneously while people in most of America can't find a theatre playing movies she loved like Volver, Pan's Labyrinth and Sherrybaby.

I have expressed myself before about Borat, though its star is in some ways remarkable. He does know how to keep a straight face anyway.
    The Academy seldom appreciates comedic perfs so I was glad the Globes honored Cohen. He's the only Globes winner NOT guaranteed an Oscar nom. I don't think he'll get nominated.

I like Letters from Iwo Jima and think Eastwood's WWII diptych is impressive, but isn't it a bit odd the best foreign film's supposedly by an american director?
    I haven't seen the film but even though I love Eastwood I agree that it's a bit odd his movie won Best Foreign-language film.

[Babel] I like it less than both Bobby and The Queen.
    I'm not talking about likes and dislikes, but award-winning potential.

[Eddie Murphy] He's got a movie coming out in which he plays two characters. One is an insanely obese woman.
    How could I not know? Exactly my point.
    My favorite animated movie of the year is by far The Nightmare Before Christnas 3D, followed by A Scanner Darkly.
    I cannot imagine going to a movie called The Nightmare Before Christmas 3D, and I can't imagine considering A Scanner Darkly an "animation."

Meryl's acceptance speech was a beautiful thing. She's grand. She talked about how her movie played at thousands of theatres simultaneously while people in most of America can't find a theatre playing movies she loved like Volver, Pan's Labyrinth and Sherrybaby.
    She does have class, but this is not unlike her character in Prada, because she's declaring that those arthouse movies are more to her taste; she's superior to her own movie--which she couldn't turn down because it's such a juicy role--but this isn't very kind to the other people who worked on Prada.
    The Academy seldom appreciates comedic perfs so I was glad the Globes honored Cohen. He's the only Globes winner NOT guaranteed an Oscar nom. I don't think he'll get nominated.
    You are right. But why must we use these ugly little words like "noms" and "perfs" and "docs"? Have you got arthritis in your hands?

Have a nice day.

I didn't want to make you mad. It's just something that has been bothering me for a long time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast