Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is not for children

To be honest, I've never seen the movie, but I did recently finish reading "Charlie and The Chocalate Factory" to my 6 year old.

I found it odd that two of the kids got in strife from Mr Wonka for chewing gum and giving the telly too much of a workout. About all I did when I was a kid was watch telly and chew gum - so I found Mr Wonka to be a cultural fascist. Some people from Community Services and a few health inspectors should have closed him and his self righteous organisation down.

Maybe the book is different to the film - maybe I spare the rod - but on the whole it was slightly objectionable.

Nuff said

Off the subject

I have found that in our modern society children tend to be either sedentary or sedentary. They are either sitting in front of the TV or playing games, or viewing the internet, etc.

I don't believe that the increased injury level in child, and high school athletics is a coincidence. Kids are tearing ACL's in HIGH SCHOOL which is slightly ridiculous. The ACL tear is and should be an injury that happens to old men trying to re-live their youth at city league games.

I thank my parents (and now understand why) they booted us out of the house as often as they did. Although we had one of the first Betamax (R.I.P.) machines in the neighborhood and an Atari 2600 video game console, if it was daylight you better be outside playing or sick. My brothers and I would play basketball or football until dinner was called and then rush out to play under the lights. It is one of the reasons we have been able to stay fit and athletic in our advancing years. All of us participated in college athletics.

So Roald Dahl's point is, kids that watch TV all the time and don't respect their elders are not only annoying but also unhealthy.It is generally accepted that incessant gum chewing can be obnoxious.

Willy Wonka: 2-3 might be a bit young, but in general the children's bad behavior wasn't rewarded, but punished. A positive message IMO.

Wicked Witch: Pretty Scary for a kid I s'pose.

Child Catcher: Not scary to me at all as a kid, but an ex-girlfriend was always scared by him.

Originally posted by Russ
    I found it odd that two of the kids got in strife from Mr Wonka for chewing gum and giving the telly too much of a workout. About all I did when I was a kid was watch telly and chew gum - so I found Mr Wonka to be a cultural fascist. Some people from Community Services and a few health inspectors should have closed him and his self righteous organisation down.
    They weren't punished for chewing gum or watching TV, but for doing things they were told not to. One was chewing gum, but was told that it hadn't been tested and wasn't safe. And similar with the TV part...they were punished for being out of control and misbehaving.

MarkMyWord_81 Guest

Have to Disagree

I have to admit that I was much older when I saw the movie than when I read (or when my mom read it to ME, to be honest) the book. However, I cannot see how this would be frightening to most children then or now. To be honest, I had never noticed the beheaded chicken or other stuff in the tunnel until I started reading other IMDb reviews. Only then, with my new VCR that actually had working slow-mo (first time in about three years!) was I able to pick these images out. Of course TODAY'S kiddies would think a mere CHICKEN being beheaded was boring, I'm sure! lol

You have a charming, fast-paced and colorful film that teaches some important lessons. Yes, it is by Roald Dahl, and therefore has a dark side to it. Yet, if one takes Mr. Wonka at his word, all of the children survive, more or less as good as new -- and hopefully a bit smarter and/or more humble than before.

About my biggest complaint is Grandpa Joe (Jack Albertson) leading Charlie to disobey Mr. Wonka & drink the special soda, then becoming ENRAGED when he enforces the pre-agreed rules!
    Oh well, maybe 20 years worth of bed sores will do that to a person! lol

I loved it as a kid & still love it!

MarkMyWord

Granpa Joe was way out of line

But Wonka was an eccentric psycho! I just want to know when is the film version of "Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator" coming out? With CGI, the vermicious Knids would be sweet.

jacobic216 Guest

Nurce Ratchet - She's something of a cunt, ain't she Doc?

The most disturbing character on screen is a hard one for me. I'm going to go out on a limb and say it WILL BE Gollum in Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. So far though (and off the top of my head), I have to say The Flying Monkeys from The Wizard of Oz and just about anything in Naked Lunch.

Another synchro that works: Willy Wonka (the movie) and Rush's album 2112.... great stuff, very trippy...
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

King Synchro, youre going to have to release a compilation of some kind ;>

jacobic216 Guest

Synching Movies :-)

I've seen that synch with 2112 and wonka. It is messed up. I loved it. My favorite synch is 2001 A Space Odyssey to Echoes but that one is really great too.

Let us not forget the classic Dark Side of Oz

Oh yes, synchros are a wonderful thing to explore.
    "The dark side of the rainbow" is the most well-known one....If you're feeling a little wacko, try looping Nancy Sinatra's Greatest Hits with Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas.

OR, Chaplin's "The Kid" with The Beastie Boys' Hello Nasty Lp

The Nine Inch Nails record "The Fragile" apparently matches Lang's Metropolis. (I haven't tried that one)-sounds good, tho
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12