Thread: SWEET LAND

SWEET LAND

"When Lars Torvik’s grandmother Inge dies in 2004, he is faced with a decision – sell the family farm on which she lived since 1920, or cling to the legacy of the land. Sweet Land flashbacks to two historical periods: a teenage Lars reminiscing about the events surrounding the death of his grandfather in 1968, and Inge's immigrant story. She arrives in southern Minnesota as a mail-order bride to marry Olaf, a young Norwegian-American farmer. Her German heritage and lack of official mmigration papers make her an object of suspicion in the small town, and she and Olaf are unable to marry. Alone and adrift, Inge goes to live with the family of Olaf’s friend and neighbor Frandsen and his wife Brownie, where she learns English, local customs, and a hard-won independence. Inge and Olaf slowly come to know each other, and against the backdrop of endless farmland and cathedral skies they fall in love, a man and woman united by the elemental forces of nature. Still unmarried, they live together openly, despite the scorn of the neighbors and the disapproval of the local minister." (Synopsis courtesy of Forward Entertainment LLC)

Writer/director Ali Selim adapted a short story by Will Weaver called "A Gravestone Made of Wheat". Sweet Land is a triumph of careful craftmanship and an example of filmmaking with a strong regional flavor. It's refreshing to watch an independent film completely devoid of hipster superiority and gratuitous violence. Selim is a native Minnesotan with two decades of experience directing commercials and shorts. He's been preparing all his life to make this movie. The gestation period for Sweet Land was reportedly a long one. Sweet Land evidences careful planning and attention to detail in every aspect of production. The lensing by cinematographer David Tumblety is often stunning, particularly outdoors. The shifts between the three temporal levels are elegant and smooth. Newcomers Tim Guinee and Elizabeth Reaser excel as Olaf and Inge, with a supporting cast that includes veterans Ned Beatty, Alan Cumming and John Heard. Every character emerges as a distinctive entity, and every actor gets a chance to shine. There's an organic feel to the young strangers gradually falling in love, and to the events that lead to the community's acceptance of the couple. Sweet Land is heartwarming and uplifting without the pomp and sentimentality that often accompanies feel-good Hollywood product.

*Sweet Land received two nominations for Independent Spirit Awards in the categories Best First Film and Best Actress.
    Last edited by oscar jubis; 02-12-2007 at 09:20 PM.

How did you get to see this?

I had to drive to Ft. Lauderdale. At a theatre called Cinema Paradiso, run by the Ft. Lauderdale Film Society. But I missed their showing of Old Joy last year, which I regret.

I see, thanks. I'm still waiting for your email.