Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: The 2007 Miami International Film Festival

These are the ones I missed at the fest because they have distribution. Then First Snow had its commercial run here and... I missed it. Red Road won a jury and a press award at the fest. I hope the Scottish working class accents are not too "thick".

. Then First Snow had its commercial run here and... I missed it.
    As I indicated, it didn't have a long run in Berkeley either. I missed Hanake's Code Unknown that way a few years ago. I read about it, said I must see this, then it was gone before I got over to San Francisco to see it. Not everything comes to Berkeley, though most do, due to Berkeley having a good proportion of art house and Landmark theaters.

As for Red Road, maybe it will have subtitles? I was surprised After the Wedding had subtitles for some conversation in English at the beginning, because Mrs. Shaw had an Indian accent. It seemed a bit condescending. . .

I have a slight accent too, and a consciously un-American way of pronouncing the middle "t" sound in words like twenty and bitter.
    A couple of reviewers have pointed out the accented English in Red Road. Loach's Riff Raff had a subtitled theatrical release for a reason. But, as far as I know, Red Road is being released sans subs.

Zalla's film won the top prize at Sundance but Zalla left the fest without getting distribution for Padre Nuestro. Maybe it was the very negative reviews on Variety and Slant.

Zalla's film won the top prize at Sundance but Zalla left the fest without getting distribution for Padre Nuestro. Maybe it was the very negative reviews on Variety and Slant.
    Maybe. But distributors go to see films at festivals for themselves, and the very downbeat nature of Padre Nuestr would make them leave it alone. The reviews also suggest the writing is bad. However the way this titles came up is that you listed it as one of the Miami festival "Films likely to have distribution in one form or another," so we seem to be going astray here.

And I still think it's likely to get some form of distribution. It's just noteworthy that Sundance ended without its Grand Jury Prize winner having a distribution deal. It's unprecedented I believe.

This documentary, which won an audience award at the festival, screened as part of a retrospective of Venezuelan cinema this weekend: TO PLAY AND TO FIGHT

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112