Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: George Bush & Co.: Masters Of Terror? or Sorcerer's Apprentices?

George Bush & Co.: Masters Of Terror? or Sorcerer's Apprentices?

George Bush & Co.: Masters Of Terror?

Terrorism and empire: major US products

An article in the Independent of London cites an "authoritative US study of terrorist attacks after the invasion in 2003" that shows the Iraq war is directly responsible for "an upsurge of fundamentalist violence worldwide." The Bush administration is doing exactly the opposite of what it says it is doing. The "war on terror" as waged by the US in Iraq has not reduced the number of terrorists and made us safer, as Bush keeps saying. It has caused them to multiply, both in Iraq and elsewhere, and put us all in more danger -- everywhere.

This by now widely known fact takes on yet deeper significance with Seymour Hersh's latest piece in The New Yorker. Two notable comments at the moment on American foreign policy are just out from Chalmers Johnson and Hersh. Johnson's Nemisis completes his Blowback Trilogy about the rise and expected fall of the American empire. He thinks the US must withdraw its hundreds of bases from occupying the world or sink under its hubris like ancient Rome. For him the prospect of a lighter, more humane regime coming from the democrats in Washington makes little difference overall. This is reinforced by a new film about Ralph Nader, An Unreasonable Man. Nader justified his controversial third-party presidential campaigns against Bush by the principle that when it comes to the two ruling US parties, there's no real difference. When you look at Johnson's story of American empire, that proves true. (In domestic terms, it's another story.)

A tangled web of deceit

Once again after months of traveling as far as Beirut, where he interviewed Hezbullah's Hassan Nasrallah, arguably the shrewdest and most important new leader to emerge in the Arab world in decades, and talking to his usual plethora of unidentified government informants active and retired, Hersh makes the surprising announcement that Cheney and company are supplying pallet-loads of dollars -- of which there are millions, perhaps billions, floating around in Iraq -- and other secret funds to Sunni radicals closely linked to Al Qaeda. In the article, "The Redirection: Is the Administration's new policy benefiting our enemies in the war on terror?" Hersh reports a recent reconvening of Iran-contra alumni to assess the pros and cons of such ventures. The Sunni radical support program follows a similarly convoluted and illegal system. Obviously in Hersh's view, and he has recently said so, US leaders don't learn from history. This "strategic shift" or "redirection" the New Yorker article refers to is a more tangled web than Iran-contra, devious and absurd though that scheme was. The aim of strengthening radical Sunnis to hold the Shiites in check seems dangerous and likely to backfire. All of this is clandestine, unknown to Congress, and directed out of the Vice President's office, not the Pentagon or CIA. Does it make any sense? Not a lot. Do you have trouble keeping straight the difference between Sunnis and Shiites? You can bet they do too.

All according to plan

Following a pattern set well before George W. Bush came into office, the direction of US foreign policy has lately been shifting increasingly from Iraq to Iran. Whether the threat to Israel or to US troops or any other reason is cited, this focus was always part of a grand scheme for expanding, or merely flaunting, the American empire with the euphemistic title "Rebuilding America's Defenses" that, as is well known, was issued by the Project for a New American Century in September 2000.

The plan was always to do these things, but did not specify exactly how to do them and certainly not how to justify doing them. Hence Washington is using essentially the same exploded strategy of ersatz pretexts for war in the case of Iran as it used four years ago for Iraq. How can it hope to get away with this? Surely there is an almost universal awareness by now that Iraq was a completely put-up job? Well, in a sense they can't get away with it, because here we are, talking about it. They can't fool everybody. But they can still do it. The power is still in their dangerous hands. And unfortunately the electorate and the Congress still have not developed a system for rapidly demolishing administration lies. Nor has the press. Bush accusations against Iran are reported as prime news. We have no mechanism for rejecting indigestible material; it still has to go down before it can come back up. And Bush has asked to have the ability to initiate the bombing of Iran with only a one-day lead time. It could happen faster and with less warning than Shock and Awe hit Baghdad.

Who benefits: destruction for profit

There is a logic behind going for Iran. Sure, the US is indirectly behind the rule of the mullahs. That is the common American pattern: set them up, knock them down. But Iran is the biggest danger to US interests in the Middle East (other than the US itself, that is). However, this is part of a destructive system of solving problems by violence (direct, or indirectly incited) rather than by negotiation. (Recently, the administration has taken a step in the other direction by reversing itself and negotiating with North Korea, with positive results.) Resolving the Palestine-Israel situation by peaceful means, by bringing pressure to bear on all parties involved, would obviously ease all the other unrest in the region. But that is not what the Bush administration or its neo-con ideologues want. Empire, or at least the hell-bent kind the neo-cons favor, is best pursued by war, not peacemaking,. Destruction in the administration's system of thinking isn't really a minus. It's still possible as Naomi Klein argued in her September 2004 Harper's article , "Baghdad Year Zero: Pillaging Iraq in pursuit of a neocon utopia," that the mess in Iraq was intentional; that the forces at the top wanted raw capitalism to triumph, not democracy, and so all the chaos was acceptable from the start. Apart from political extremists -- the in-country terrorists, the friends of Al Queda, or the nationalistic insurgents -- the Halliburtons and Blackwaters and myriad other contractors (though not their in-country operatives, who return maimed, like the soldiers) remain the sole elements truly benefiting from US Middle East policy, and it is obvious that they do not rebuild. Destruction for profit could in fact be the best way to describe how the planet has primarily been managed in the capitalist age.

The sorcerer's apprentice

Thus while they are primarily profiteers, the current US leaders have shown themselves to be in one sense indeed "Masters of Terror." The Bush administration is exceptionally good at inspiring terrorism. But it's not good at controlling or quelling it. The only way to quell terror is the almost impossible strategy of ignoring it; that is what makes terrorism so effective. But a reasonable substitute is to wage peace -- to negotiate with enemies and create alliances. This is not the Bush II way. Hence Cheney et al. aren't true Masters of Terror. They're like the sorcerer's apprentice: they unleash forces they can't control.

Isn't it great for Bush and Cheney that they have so many people willing to stand by and watch them do whatever in Oil's name they want?

You're absolutely right that Congress has no system for demolishing the lies and deceit.

Expediency seems to be extinct.

Something that really really bothers me is the absolute ignorance of lives. For commerce.

Or for voting revenge- that's what I think Katrina's response was all about. Louisiana didn't vote for Bush, so he said "Fuck 'em".

Man, you gotta have zero heart and zero humanity to do what he and Cheney have been doing.

I can't think of one single fucking good thing Bush has done in almost 8 years.
    Can you?

How can anybody stand behind this hick dipshit?

He's driven the US deficit to an unheard of level.

Is everybody clear the U.S. Treasury is
    EMPTY?

THEY. HAVE. NO. MONEY.

And they spend your tax dollars (not theirs- they keep theirs with a zillion fucking breaks) on shit that you have no clue about or endorse.
    The U.S. Treasury is BANKRUPT.

This is serious, folks.

They've already spent your great-grandchildren's money and they're working on your great-great- grandchildren's.

For the next 200 years your kids and your kids kids will be slaving away for the sins of the 20th/21st century governments.

Hope you're happy.
    Hope you are OK with that.
    Because when the whole thing comes down like 2 towers we used to know, don't say "what's going on? Why is this happening? Why can't I watch American Idol tonight?"

It'll be because you were duped or you were ignorant or you were just too busy with your own petty dramas to see the larger evil that has been looming for a long, long. long time.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Somebody was saying this morning that the power grabs by the executive have had the effect of making Congress just a rubber stamp for Bush, and this is exactly what you get in a "Banana Republic." Only we don't have "Banana Republic," yet. We've just got a few power-hungry neo-cons controlling the administration.

Winton Marsalis was on Charlie Rose a couple nights ago--he's from New Orleans, and his statements about it were powerful. He said Katrina revealed that it's all about money. Our government is all about money now. Not about people.

I'd be the wrong person to tell you about anything good Bush has done.

Blowing away the surplus is a major one. But the US still has a lot of resources and if well managed could restore the economic balance sooner than our great-great-great grandchildren, I do believe.

We need to work to make sure the republicans don't gain back the narrow margin in Congress and the demos can continue to slowly reverse things. But we're pretty much screwed till Bush is out of office.

So true.

It's enraging.

I know people hate politicians & politics (I'm one) but it's Defcon 5 right now.

Something's gotta be done. But what?
    And by whom?

The red tape and beaurocratic sludge is enough to make anyone groan.

Can Democrats actually do anything?

What the hell will Hilary Clinton do?
    I like Barack Obama but he's facing Everest.
    McCain?
    Good god where are the leaders?!

Hilary's watching Gore. If he starts to drop weight, that's a sign she better look out, he's going to run. Obama is too inexperienced, and for me, too pro-Israel, but in the latter area, so is Hilary.

McCain is a piece of work. And to think the brilliant writer David Foster Wallace followed him around admiringly covering his last campaign.

I think we need to give the real independents like Kucinich and Nader more support, to scare the machine politicians on both sides and make the dems realize they have got to be something other than republican lite.

What the hell is up with Gore?

He's been turned into an environmental champion (remember Oscar night?) yet he is (to quote HST) the "worm-eaten dunce who fumbled the white house away to a gang of sleazy oil-mongers".

How can anybody be in his corner when he *smiled and* conceded defeat to Bush in 2000?

We wouldn't be in this situation if he had the stones to challenge Bush's victory.

Thousands would still be on this planet if he grew a spine and led the country on everything from foreign policy to global warming.

Lose weight? What, is he eating big macs and downing frothy shakes instead of deciding on running?

This is so sad.

Obviously Gore had made the evaluation that fighting Bush's results wouldn't work, and I don't think he was wrong. I don't think we would have wanted something like the election battle that went on in Mexico recently between Felipe Calderón and Andrés Manuel López Obrador. It might be a good thing to have the kind of real political contrasts that reflects, but we've got something that's also of value to citizens. We've at least got stability. I would not line up behind anything said about Gore in the passion and anger following the elections. He has grown a great deal since his 2000 campaign. He's the least egocentric of the major democratic figures and the strongest. He's got way more stones than most of them.
    He's been turned into an environmental champion (remember Oscar night?)
    It would be a mistake to think Gore recently became an environmental champion. Have you seen the film An Inconvenient Truth? He has been an environmental champion since he was an undergraduate in college and he wrote a bestseller on the global environmental issues, Earth in the Balance (that link will allow you to read a substantial preview of the entire book online) published in 1992. He has long had a profound understanding of the environment. Oscar night just meant that people who hadn't realized that, got tipped off about it. If our choice is Hilary or Obama or Al, I'd pick Al without hesitation, even with confidence.
    Thousands would still be on this planet if he grew a spine and led the country on everything from foreign policy to global warming.
    This is misleading because he is leading the world on global warming, and he has been outspoken on foreign policy. He was outspoken against the Iraq war.
    Lose weight? What, is he eating big macs and downing frothy shakes instead of deciding on running?

This is so sad.
    He tends to be on the large side. He grew a beard for a while after the elections. Oscar night showed he's not slim. Deciding to run for president again wouldn't be easy. He has a family. So, he hasn't decided yet. Hilary and Obama have started way too early. It's not likely to help them. This isn't sad, it's just the reality of the situation. McCain has decided. He announced his candidacy on the Letterman Show. Brilliant. I'm so excited. You think he's got balls? He changes sides every six months. He even changes sides in the middle of a conversation. Remember that documentary interview?
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 03-14-2007 at 05:03 PM.

He wasn't wrong to not challenge the election results?

What's that all about?

Calderon vs. Obrador or not, he should've been unleashing his inner screaming banshee over it.

He was running for the Presidency.
    If that was me, investing my whole life and a gazillion dollars into running for the highest office in the land I'd be having a mad cow over being swindled.

Was Gore really serious about the whole thing?
    He was SMILING when he announced his acceptance of "defeat".
    Fahrenheit 9/11 clearly showed that.

Something is really wrong with Al Gore but I don't know what it is.
    You support him and would love to see him run, but man, something ain't right about the way he handled the 2000 election results. I'd like to see him run too, because he'd probably win this time. But he won last time for Christ's sakes!

Whether he's "grown a great deal" or not he should've been the President. He fumbled it away. And seemed happy to do so.

He wasn't wrong to not challenge the election results?

What's that all about?

Calderon vs. Obrador or not, he should've been unleashing his inner screaming banshee over it.

He was running for the Presidency.
    If that was me, investing my whole life and a gazillion dollars into running for the highest office in the land I'd be having a mad cow over being swindled.
    It wasn't you. The people who have spent years since then proving or trying to prove that the election was stolen were not wrong, but a screaming bancheee is not a person I'd vote for. He was statesmanlike. He was smiling. Should he have been weeping, scowling? Diplomatic façade. And a lot of inner strength. That's how I read it. But if you'd rather run Michael Moore for president you're welcome to come down and support him.

That's twisting it.
    I'm not saying VOTE FOR A SCREAMING BANSHEE.
    I'm saying have a little outrage over your *strange* loss.

He should have at least had a straight face.

I want Henry Rollins for President

I know you weren't saying to vote for a screaming banshee but that wasn't the time to express outrage. Not when he was conceding. Too late for outrage then. Might as well smile. Anyway, that was then, this is now.

From Gore's Earth in the Balance, his 1992 ecology book:
    At an early age, I learned many political skills simply by observing my parents; I also learned that these skills are valuable only insofar as they serve worthy goals. Later, I learned the visual rhetoric of my own television generation and found myself unconsciously practicing a new set of "personality skills." But I am increasingly struck by how easy it is for every politician -- myself included -- to get lost in the forms of personality traits designed to please and rhetoric designed to convey a tactical impression. Voice modulation, ten-second "sound bites," catchy slogans, quotable quotes, newsworthy angles, interest group buzz-words, priorities copied from polsters' reports, relaxation for effect, emotion on cue -- these are the forms of modern politics, and together they can distract even the best politician from the real work at hand.

What does it say about our culture that personality is now considered a technology, a tool of the trade…..?

That explains a lot, that quote.

"Emotion on cue". That's despicable unless you're an actor.

That means his smile could have been on cue.
    Didn't somebody famous say "the smile hides the truth"?

That means his "environmental concerns" could all just be an act to make himself look good!

It's true!
    All politicians get into it for themselves!
    I'm slitting my wrists now!

:)

I'm smiling as I write this- don't jump all over me..
    Last edited by Johann; 03-15-2007 at 12:21 PM.

It sure does say a lot, and comes in very apropos, doesn't it, to our discussion here and your objections to his demeanor at 2000 concession time?

Anyway at least he's aware of this huge tendency in modern politics, if it t even is a new tendency, and not just something always true merely jazzed up with modern technology. Gore differs from Clinton in that he never got his act down as smooth.

But I still have to differ from you about Gore's global warming concerns. They are real and deep. He means them, and isn't just expressing them to make himself look good. But maybe you're just saying that to make yourself look cool. And for a laugh. Which is fine. We need a few.

See An Inconvenient Truth. They you'll have a hard time kidding around about the whole business, or Gore's sincerity about it.

But keep smiling, and keep us smiling. We love you.

I don't really have anything against Gore aside from his odd concession of defeat.

I'm just being a little skeptical, that's all.

He seems very genuine about his environmental concerns and his film is obviously very important. Haven't seen it and I know I should.
    I like the title and I like the packaging job they did on the DVD: a basic, enviro-friendly sleeve.

Putting on the Beach Boy's Smiley Smile album now.
    Spring is here...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast