Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Werner Herzog: greatest living director?

Rescue Dawn

Come on, search planes....where have you gone?

Masterpiece.
    Rescue Dawn is a riveting dramatization of the true story of Dieter Dengler, a miracle man. He survived sheer utter hell as a prisoner of war until he made a daring escape. This story was detailed in Herzog's documentary Little Dieter Needs To Fly, already reviewed here by me.

I found out how Dieter got away from the horrifying fate his fellow escapee Steve Zahn was doomed to, and I'm not sure it's plausible. Those villagers SCATTERED. At that moment? For that reason? OK...
    Again, it's utterly amazing that Dieter got out of there alive.
    He could've been scalped, shot, tortured to death or hung from a tree in the jungle at any moment. He definitely had someone upstairs watching over him. It just seems too lucky for him to escape the way he did. The prisoners are fed maggots, they are locked into a foot vise at night, and Christian Bale goes through a fantastic transformation- his weight loss is incredible. He goes from a very healthy pilot to an emaciated P.O.W. in no time.
    It's remarkable what he'll do for a role.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: he is a profound and fascinating actor. Totally fearless and totally into his characters.
    I don't know why he hasn't won an Oscar by now.
    The man is just CLASS, Man.

The cinematography is stellar. Gorgeous shots of the vegetation and landscapes, par for the course for Herzog. He is one at peace with nature, that's for sure. He captures natural geographic beauty like no other filmmaker.
    Bale is in almost every single scene as Dieter, and he carries the picture. You feel his situation deeply. He is very patriotic for a German immigrant, telling his captors "America gave me my wings- I will not sign that", refusing to sign a piece of paper denouncing the U.S. government. I don't know how he wasn't executed after that display of patriotism.

This film is a must-see. It documents one of the most harrowing stories of the Viet Nam war, maybe even the MOST harrowing. (MY LAI, or "Pinkville" is a whole other matter..)
    If he wasn't rescued when he was, his mental hallucinations would have spiralled out of control I think.
    I feel he wouldn't have had much more strength to continue running, because he weighed less than 100 pounds, had no energy, and he was tormented by thoughts and dreams of his friend who was killed in a horrifying way. He was lucky as hell to get rescued when he did. A miracle story. A must-see story.
    It'll make you feel damn glad you're in the free country you're in, enjoying fresh food and sleeping soundly at night.
    Last edited by Johann; 06-22-2011 at 01:06 PM.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Where The Green Ants Dream

This is my least favorite Herzog film even though I understand and support the message.
    Dedicated to the memory of his mother, Herzog went to South Australia and made a film about "the irrevocable tragedy of false progress".

Bruce Spence (the gyro pilot Jedediah in The Road Warrior and Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome) is a geologist for Ayers, a uranium mining company. They want to mine for the richest deposits, only it's on a site that is sacred to the Aborigines, who are passive yet very determined to prevent the descration of the land that houses the "Green Ants Who Dream", the place of the origin of all life, in their belief.

These are extremely primitive and extremely spiritual natives, and they won't budge an inch, even taking it all the way to court.
    A bulldozer driver almost buries a few of them, he's so angry.
    Ants?! DREAMING?! Why the fuck can't they dream somewhere else?! he shouts.

Spence apologizes to the Aborigines and tries to explain to them that what we're doing here is exploring options. We don't know the geological substructure. We're listening to the earth's interior. The natives don't really understand.
    One of them replies:
    Are you Christian?
    Spence says "I was raised that way"
    What would you do if I bring a bullozer and dig up your church? The English that the natives speak is remarkable because I'm quite sure they don't speak a word of it or understand a single phrase yet Herzog has them speak English. How did he teach them?
    Did they hit their marks on cue? Seems that way...This is Herzog's first ever film completely in English.

This is basically a movie about the white man moving in yet again on territory that doesn't belong to him and exploiting it for financial gain. There is little in this film that engaged me besides the beautiful cinematography, which is always great in Herzog's films. I'm down with Native rights, no matter what country you're from. The only thing that I like about Canada's current Prime Minister is that he apologized to the Native Indians in this country. He atoned for travesties perpetrated by the Canadian government in the 20th Century that are quite unforgivable. But Harper apologized in a very respectful way (something that should've been done years and years ago but wasn't) and the healing has begun.

Herzog's film shows the rift between modern progress and human beliefs/rights. Another reason the film doesn't satisfy me is that it ends without resolving the matter in any significant way.
    Both parties understand each other much better, but nothing really changes. The acting wasn't very good to me. Bruce Spence is serviceable, but he didn't move me in any way. And neither did the natives. They have zero personality. They might as well be statues, for all the animation they give off...

They are given a gift of an airplane, but they have no runway...
    They use it anyway, to sit in the cockpit and stare East, where the ants fly once a year, after they grow wings after dreaming of the origins of the earth....yessir, exciting stuff, huh? Eventually a drunk native takes off with the plane....yeehah!

I probably won't watch this film again. It's too dull.
    Last edited by Johann; 11-25-2009 at 02:28 PM.

There was another truck going round and round in circles in FATA MORGANA. The first time in a Herzog?

And that adagio (Albinoni's in G minor) was heard yet again, in Rescue Dawn- in another version, a much more subtle and brief soundtrack.
    Herzog loves that piece of music and so do I!

Lessons of Darkness has a piece of music from Wagner, I think.
    The same piece of music you hear in John Boorman's Excalibur when the sword is hoisted in the air from the Lady in the Lake. I love that music too...powerful sounds for cinema..
    Last edited by Johann; 11-25-2009 at 03:40 PM.

Les Blank's doc on the making of Fitzcarraldo

BURDEN OF DREAMS

"Adversity is a natural way in which a film is created. In a way, filmmaking is not welcome to the regular world. And you have to anticipate that there will be controversies, there will be adversities. From all sides there are forces intruding on you, and you have to keep them at distance. And you have to move on"- Werner Herzog

This is an amazing documentary made by Les Blank and edited by Maureen Gosling. The Criterion DVD comes with a reproduction book of their journal writings.

Werner Herzog had 40% of Fitzcarraldo in the can when he lost his star Jason Robards due to dysentery.
    Deep in South America, near the Ecuador border, Herzog had been filming his dream: a sisyphus-like story, "Challenging the Impossible", as it were, with culture baron Brian Sweeney Fitzgerald. Holding a big Opera in the jungle. With the music of Caruso.
    He fails to get the money, so he decides to exploit the natural resources of the area and becomes a rubber baron.
    The film documents a painful victory for the man when 1100 savage natives help him get his riverboat "opera house"over a mountain and onto a parallel river.

Jason Robards dropped out and was not allowed back to the production, forbidden on doctor's orders.
    For 6 weeks the movie was on hold.
    Mick Jagger also left the production after Robards. The vault footage of his "acting" with Jason Robards was hilarious to see.
    Glad his role was eliminated. The final product is as Awesome as it is precisely because of the lack of such a weird casting choice as Jagger.
    Watch it and tell me you don't snicker when you see Jagger and Robards in that bell tower....

Herzog states to Les Blank's camera: If I abandon this film then I abandon my dreams.

If he doesn't get the film back on track, he'll have wasted a lot of time and money and resources and yes, his dream on a failed project.
    Many local natives are hired by Herzog and his crew, because they do great work and they love being paid twice what the going rate is/was in South America at that time. That's how he was able to get such astounding footage of the ship being hauled up that slope.
    Herzog offered toilets, generators, beer and cold showers.
    He hired the real deal locals, who were more than happy to do the film. But problems were persistent: terrible false rumours circulated that Herzog was responsible for genocides in other countries, and some shitty nefarious people circulated holocaust photos to the natives and told them it was the work of Herzog, their employer. Just plain evil dirty tricks.
    The terrain was a huge problem. Lots of mud. Herzog's bulldozer kept breaking down, parts were flown in, agonizing waits in the jungle, and Herzog says at one point that sometimes he just likes to be in an easy chair and have a tea beside him. He questions his profession.

The 3 boats that were used in the film all get banged up pretty badly. Lots of great footage to gaze at of the boats in (and out of) action.
    Klaus Kinski was hired to replace Jason Robards and there's good footage of him as well. He expresses feeling trapped in the jungle, and he is. He says the contract is signed. Nothing he can do. Nowhere he can go. Claudia Cardinale is a beauty. Love her footage too...

Herzog says it was a geographical decision to shoot where he did. He had few options. The government of the country had started letting natives settle in the forests. Natives were claiming rights, and Herzog's film crew were looked upon with mixed reactions.
    This doc was made in 1982, and it states that by 2010 the Amazon basin will be cleared.
    That's something to confirm, to look up!

Herzog respects his native actors. He doesn't want to disturb their natural habits, their natural ways of doing things.
    He calls them "Lions".
    They are authentic, and they do many different tasks, like being watchmen at night and so on.
    Some of his cast are hit with arrows- big ass ones!- in the middle of the night. Nobody was killed, but a couple people got serious wounds. One guy got one right through his neck. How he lived I don't know.

This is an amazing film. If you respect Herzog at all, then this is essential. See it at all costs.
    Last edited by Johann; 06-22-2011 at 01:08 PM.

Ten canoes

Oscar mentioned TEN CANOES in this thread, and I watched it last night.
    Very unique and remarkable film.
    The editing is unlike any film I've seen, and so is the storytelling.
    This aboriginal story was staged (I think?) but it is as real as they come.
    Beautiful cinematography, interesting close-ups of aboriginal faces, and the whole thing feels like it's happening in a parallel universe.
    One of the singularly unique movies I've ever seen.
    Well worth your time.

I reviewed TEN CANOES during its US theatrical release in 2007 and you can read my review here.
    This cool film is significant because the first film in Aboriginal language. Also, of course, a unique story and unique storytelling.

Howard Schumann also reviewed it on Cinescene.

Oscar and I had an exchange about this on Filmleaf in 2008.

Excellent. You covered it all in that review. Not much else needs to be said.
    It is a must-see in my opinion.
    I could see popcorn-movie lovers losing their marbles.
    They wouldn't be able to sit still through it, I gather.
    Non-actors?!?! No signs of civilization?!?! How would they cope??
    LOL

GREAT FILM. CHECK IT OUT.

Johann, have you seen Cave of Forgotten Dreams?

No, I haven't.
    But that one is a priority for me, as it was the film Herzog was promoting in Toronto when I met him on the street last September.
    (It's a 3-D offering from him too!)
    My hope is to write something on every film in his canon, which is considerable.
    I welcome anyone's comments on Herzog's works.
    I don't want people thinking they can't post in this thread. Please feel free.

I watched Encounters at the End of the World again, which has a nice interview with Herzog by Jonathan Demme on disc 2.
    And something I didn't mention in my review: a physicist talks about Neutrinos, which is what I consider to be the thing that records our lives for the Almighty. That's my best guess/belief.
    Neutrinos can be measured, the physicist says, but what they are is a total mystery. I say it's the one element of human existence that records all matter for an unquantifiable "Creator". You can say that's bunk, or retarded or ridiculous, but that's what I think. Neutrinos fly through us like nothing else.
    Explain it, if you disagree.
    Explain neutrinos and consciousness to me without saying God hasn't got a damn thing to do with it. Do it. Please. I'm all ears.
    :)
    Last edited by Johann; 06-23-2011 at 04:01 PM.

I'll post about Wheel of Time tomorrow. I'm watching the DVD tonight. (after I see Robert Plant at the Ottawa Jazzfest! HUZZAH!)

WHEEL OF TIME

This film may be one of Herzog's lesser pictures, as Howard Schumann mentioned. But I found enough in it to marvel at.

It documents Buddhist rituals in Bodh Gaya. The most impressive thing in the film is the centrepiece sand mandala that the monks create to symbolize the impermanence of all things. The mandala is Magnificent. The craft that goes into creating it is astounding. It requires serious patience and a steady hand to make it. I'd love to see it in person. Herzog's film is a fine substitute if you never make it there...

His Holiness the XIV Dalai Lama makes a special appearance. He lays out the first line of sand on the mandala. The area where the mandala (the "WHEEL OF TIME") will be created must be sanctified, cleansed and blessed. Interesting rituals.
    Herzog himself is the cameraman for some scenes, but the bulk of the amazing hand-held camerawork is by Peter Zeitlinger, a trusted DP of Herzog's. Zeitlinger gets right in there, among the monks and pilgrims. Some smile, wave, curiously look at the camera. I love this kind of cinematography where you get the feeling that the cameraman is trying to record everything, all at once, the Insatiable Eye, if you will.
    Trying not to miss anything interesting, looking for the magic. (filming took place in January 2002)
    My favorite scene hands down was the raising of the mast. Something really poetic and good about that scene.
    These Monks are quite unique people.
    They hike up a 17-18,000 foot mountain in 3 days!
    I was in the Infantry, and back in the day on Canadian Forces base Gagetown New Brunswick (our 2nd largest base) there is a 62 kilometre training area, and the Royal Canadian Regiment used to do a "DEATH MARCH", the whole 62 km, with full kit (150 pounds of gear) with combat boots.
    They would only stop for a meagre 4 hours, which was just enough time for your boots to start filling up with blood when "prepare to move" was given.
    The upside was you'd get extra leave to heal your tender tootsies, because you'd just done an inhuman feat: 62 km without stopping (just for 4 agonizing, tortuous hours). I don't know if the Regiment still does the Death March, but I heard out West they still do the Mountain Man competition, which is even MORE brutal...
    And here these Monks are, trekking up the mountain fearlessly, with little support and eating nothing but rancid yak butter.
    I'd say that's hardcore. Hardcore spirituality.

And then there's that man in the film who spent 37 years in prison for shouting "FREE TIBET!" twice.
    Aren't you glad you don't live in a place where saying two words gets you 37 years?
    I am.
    Amazingly, the man is incredibly happy. I'm mystified.
    I'd be the most bitter, crochety old geezer EVER if that happened to me. LOL
    I'd have been executed in my cell before too long..ha ha
    But no, this man is one happy cat, no real hard feelings. He has Buddha.
    And he can barely walk! Because the floors in the jail were all flat, one flat surface. Being outside with all kinds of terrain was difficult for him to fathom. All he'd known for 37 years was a flat floor.

Watch this film. It's great. It might not be as captivating as say, Grizzly Man or Lessons of Darkness, but it's got lots to teach us, and in only 80 minutes. (relatively short)
    Herzog narrates.
    Last edited by Johann; 06-27-2011 at 11:25 AM.

Interesting description., Johanm. I like what you said about the camerawork. I wasn't even aware of this title. They have it at Netflix and their description of it is is this:

Tracing the foundation of a lifelong spiritual journey, German filmmaker Werner Herzog captures the faith of thousands on an annual pilgrimage to Bhod Gaya, the Indian village in which Buddha is thought to have attained enlightenment. Herzog structures his documentary around the Kalachakra initiation -- a fascinating 12-day ordainment process for Buddhist monks involving the creation of a large "wheel of time" out of sand.

That's an accurate description.
    Add it to your list of "to-see's" on Netflix.
    The rituals are very interesting. The monks and pilgrims work together marvelously: they are united in their beliefs.
    500,000 monks in one place!
    The DVD sleeve described it "A Spiritual Woodstock"

Cave of Forgotten Dreams

This Magnificent work of Cinematic Art was the film Werner Herzog was promoting at TIFF in 2010, where I met him on the street in front of the Royal York hotel (Fairmont). If you thought Avatar was the best 3-D film ever, then take a look at this movie.

It's miraculous.

Herzog takes us back in time, about 28-35,000 years ago. You have to see this to believe it.
    The Chauvet cave in France was discovered perfectly preserved in 1994.
    It is a labryinth of stalactites, cave bear bones/jaws, charcoal from when primitive man rubbed his torch against the cave walls to stoke fire, and all manner of gorgeous primitive cave wall art, perfectly preserved, almost "new" or "fresh", as Herzog tells us in his very educational narration.

Only a handlful of scientists and art historians are allowed into the cave, which has a steel walkway built within that rises 2 feet off the cave floor- no one is allowed to touch anything in the cave, and Herzog's film crew is only allowed a limited time in the cave, with handheld cameras, portable light sources and minimum exposure to the living historical artifacts that are contained in it.

The 3-D technology that's employed is Astonishing. From the opening shots of a camera flying through a vineyard that soars up and above toward the mountain where the cave resides, this is AMAZING CINEMA.
    The showcase is the ART that adorns the walls of this fascinating and humbling cave.
    It was applied to the walls of the caves using the contours of the rock formations- a bison running, horses in determined speed, lions, panthers, buffalo, rhinos, all manner of prehistoric animal. Herzog intones that this may be the origins of cinema- cave paintings that seem to move, and he inserts a piece of Hollywood: Fred Astaire dancing to his shadow- something that early cave dwellers may very well have done.

Herzog has various scholars and historians and researchers who speak at length about the mysteries and enigmas and historical facts about this time in European history. No one talks down to the viewer- it's all in reverence and respect for this Chauvet cave, which touches everyone very profoundly. Indeed, Herzog says that he felt like they were being watched by the former living things that were in the cave. Like they were intruders. My favorite part was when the head of a team asks everyone in the cave to be silent and just listen.
    He suggests they may be able to hear their own heartbeats.
    Herzog inserts a heartbeat on the soundtrack, and the music he drapes over this film is very very eerie.
    This is the kind of cinema that moves your soul.
    Avatar was and is Awesome. A 3-D groundbreaker.
    But this is something else.
    This is REAL.
    Your eyes should pop out of your head.
    See it on a big screen as soon as you can.
    Herzog dedicated this to the three who discovered the cave and was made for History channel films.
    Astonishing poetic camerwork by Master D.P. Peter Zeitlinger, Herzog's trusted EYE...
    Last edited by Johann; 09-19-2011 at 08:43 AM.

A rockslide eons ago sealed off the cave, preserving everything that was in it.
    Water seepage over the centuries has coated everything with a beautiful preservative resin.
    This film is a document of something we'll never see, unless you find yourself working on some tiny elite team to find out more about this cave and it's treasures.

The immediacy of the 3-D imagery just sears your eyes.
    As is noted on the film poster: "almost like watching the re-invention of the cinematic medium".
    Herzog has Vision.
    I have the film poster (great to have a theatre manager as a friend!) and I just posted a photo of it today on Facebook.
    Gonna frame that bad boy...

RUN to a movie theatre to check this one out.
    Werner Herzog just keeps out-doing himself.
    His next film on death row in the U.S. is highly anticipated.
    Last edited by Johann; 09-27-2011 at 01:24 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast