Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cannes '07

Cannes '07

This years' Cannes Film Festival celebrates it's 60th year.

The premier festival on earth runs from May 16th to the 27th.

Michael Moore's new film SICKO will be in the main program, and it will play out of competition as per Mike's request.
    Last edited by Johann; 04-19-2007 at 01:32 PM.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

But right now it's Tribeca

And what about the Tribeca Film Festival? Tribeca is about to begin, and it steals the spotlight from the SFIFF pretty well, except that we're out in California so we don't notice.... Stephen Holden's introduction to this year's Tribeca Festival in today's New York Times (Apriul 20, 2007): "Feast of Serious Cinema; Partygoers Welcome."
    It all begins with a gala — Al Gore is the host — that introduces the SOS Short Films Program. Consisting of seven movies about global warming, each directed by a different filmmaker, the program includes contributions by Jonathan Glazer (“Sexy Beast”), Kevin Macdonald (“The Last King of Scotland”), Abel Ferrara (“King of New York”), Heidi Ewing and Rachel Grady (“Jesus Camp”), Aardman Animation (“Wallace and Gromit”), Amy Berg (“Deliver Us From Evil”) and Ari Sandel (“West Bank Story”). Like last year’s opening salvo, the premiere of “United 93,” this year’s pointedly addresses controversy and current events. The festival was born out of the ashes of 9/11 to help revitalize the devastated economy of Lower Manhattan, and its focus on issues makes it an exception among film festivals. This year there are a plethora of films dealing with the Middle East and the war in Iraq..--From Holden's intro.
    New York rocks, as always.....Holden continues, referring to the competition:
    As a showcase Tribeca may never match the Cannes Film Festival, which Peter Scarlet, Tribeca€™s executive director and chief programmer, described as €œa 200-pound gorilla.€ But the absence of the international A-list directors who regularly take their work to Cannes allows more room for lesser-known international talents. In its commitment to world cinema, it€™s way ahead of the Sundance Film Festival. Eastern Europe and Asia have been particularly fruitful sources of challenging Tribeca Festival films. In any case much of the best of Cannes, which takes place next month, can be seen this fall at the New York Film Festival.
    Expect me at the NYFF again this year.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 06-06-2012 at 08:38 PM.

CANNES 2007: OFFICIAL SELECTION

OPENER
    "My Blueberry Nights," Hong Kong-France-China, Wong Kar Wai

CLOSER
    "The Age of Darkness," Canada, Denys Arcand

IN COMPETITION
    "4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days," Romania, Cristian Mungiu
    "Alexandra," Russia, Alexander Sokurov
    "Auf der anderen Seite des Lebens," Germany-Turkey, Fatih Akin
    "The Banishment," Russia-Belgium, Andrey Zvyagintsev
    "Breath," South Korea, Kim Ki-duk
    "Les Chansons d'amour," France, Christophe Honore
    "Death Proof," U.S., Quentin Tarantino
    "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly," France, Julian Schnabel
    "Import/Export," Austria, Ulrich Seidl
    "The Man From London," Germany-France-U.K.-Hungary, Bela Tarr
    "Mogari No Mor," Japan, Naomi Kawase
    "No Country For Old Men," U.S., The Coen Brothers
    "Paranoid Park," France-U.S., Gus Van Sant
    "Persepolis," France-U.S., Marjane Satrapi and Vincent Paronnaud
    "Promise Me This," France-Serbia, Emir Kusturica
    "Secret Sunshine," South Korea, Lee Chang-dong
    "Silent Light," Mexico-France-Netherlands, Carlos Reygadas
    "Tehilim," France, Raphael Nadjari
    "Une Vieille Maitresse," France, Catherine Breillat
    "We Own the Night," U.S., James Gray
    "Zodiac," U.S., David Fincher

OUT OF COMPETITION GALA SCREENINGS
    "A Mighty Heart," U.K., Michael Winterbottom
    "Ocean's Thirteen," U.S., Steven Soderbergh
    "Sicko," U.S., Michael Moore

MIDNIGHT SCREENINGS
    "Boarding Gate," France, Olivier Assayas
    "Go Go Tales," U.S., Abel Ferrara
    "U2 3D," U.S., Catherine Owens and Mark Pellington

UN CERTAIN REGARD
    "Am ende kommen touristen," Germany, Robert Thalheim
    "L'Avocat de la terreur," France, Barbet Schroeder
    "El Bano del papa," Uruguay, Enrique Fernandez and Cesar Charlone
    "Bikur Hatizmoret," Israel, Eran Kolirin
    "California Dreamin'," Romania, Cristian Nemescu
    "Calle Santa Fe," Chile, Carmen Castillo
    "Et toi, t'es sur qui?," France, Lola Doillon
    "Kuaile Gongchang," Thailand, Ekachai Uekrongtham
    "Magnus," Estonia-U.K., Kadri Kousaar
    "Mang Shan," China, Li Yang
    "Mio fratello e figlio unico," Italy, Daniele Luchetti
    "Mister Lonely," U.S., Harmony Korine
    "Munyurangabo," U.S., Lee Isaac Chung
    "Night Train," China, Diao Yi'nan
    "Les Pieuvres," France, Celine Sciamma
    "Le Reve de la nuit d'avant," France, Valeria Bruni-Tedeschi
    "La Soledad," Spain, Jaime Rosales

SPECIAL SCREENINGS
    "11th Hour," U.S., Leila Conners Petersen and Nadia Conners
    "He Fengming," China, Wang Bing
    "Retour en Normandie," France, Nicolas Philibert
    "The War," U.S., Ken Burns

60th ANNIVERSARY TRIBUTES
    "Boxes," France, Jane Birkin
    "One Hundred Nails," Italy, Ermanno Olmi
    "Roman de gare," France, Claude Lelouch
    "Ulzhan," Germany, Volker Schlondorff

CANNES CLASSICS DOCUMENTARIES ON CINEMA
    "Brando," U.S., Mimi Freedman and Leslie Greif
    "Lindsay Anderson, Never Apologize," U.S., Mike Kaplan
    "Maurice pialat l'amour existe," France, Anne-Marie Faux and Jean-Pierre Devillers
    "Pierre Rissient," U.S, Todd McCarthy

INTERNATIONAL COMPETITION JURY
    Stephen Frears, British director (president)
    Marco Bellocchio, Italian director
    Maggie Cheung, Hong Kong actress
    Toni Collette, Australian actress
    Maria De Medeiros, Portuguese actress
    Orhan Pamuk, Turkish novelist
    Michel Piccoli, French actor
    Sarah Polley, Canadian actress
    Abderrahmane Sissako, Mauritanian director

UN CERTAIN REGARD JURY
    Pascale Ferran, French director (president)
    Kent Jones, American writer
    Cristi Puiu, Romanian director
    Bian Qin
    Jasmine Trinca, Italian actress

Lots of new stuff as usual and eventually we'll even learn what all the titles mean in English. Kind of a cliquish jury list but it's nice I think to see that Cristi Puiu is on the "Certain Regard" panel.

And, of course, I should mention, Johann is going to be writing about the Toronto Festival this time, adding another important venue to our growing Festival Coverage.

Who's going to do Cannes? Who's going to do Sundance?

Tribeca is extremely important.
    God bless Robert DeNiro. Wish I could be there.

Thanks for posting the lineup for Cannes Oscar- you beat me to it.
    I was too busy Friday and Sat. with 4:20- what a freakin' party. It's getting bigger every year.

When the crowd started to grow logarithmically, I had people/tourists coming up to me (I was near the eternal flame waiting for my friend Alex to arrive) and asking what was the gathering all about.
    I said "Oh, they're just enjoying the weather"

The Jury is interesting.
    Stephen Frears, Toni Collete, Sarah Pollley, Maggie Cheung...just great
    Last edited by Johann; 09-12-2007 at 08:30 PM.

Thanks for posting the line-up for Cannes Chris- you beat me too it.
    Can't take credit--that was Oscar.
    I was too busy Friday and Sat. with 4:20- what a freakin' party.
    As some of you know, I don't do that any more. And when I did, didn't need a special day for it. Every day was 4:20. I'm done with that party and like it better the other way. I kind of think Tribeca steals the thunder from San Francisco, but New York always rocks.

irk!- a thousand apologies Oscar- how did I not notice that? I guess I'm still stoned....

Man the black hash was making the rounds.
    Stoned me just like Jelly Roll...

At 4:20pm (on 4:20) you wanna be in Major's Hill Park if you're in Ottawa. I was on the hill until just after 4 when the Mounties seemed to be getting jittery, talking into their radios and moving nervously around the front entrance...

The REAL party was at Major's Hill, just a 5 minute walk away,where most people usually spark one when there isn't a reason.
    Must've been a thousand there. Very peaceful too- no violence- who needs that shit?
    It was just buds, buddies, hackey sack & some cool tunes (brought by various people- I heard everything from trance to the Monkees).

Every day is 4:20 for me Chris.
    I don't need no stinkin' day!

Some great films lined up for Cannes this year.

New films from Wong Kar-Wei, Denys Arcand (Canadian Legend!), Emir Kusterica, Bela Tarr (when am I going to see a film of his? everytime I want to something comes up), Gus van Sant, Michael Moore, Breillat, Sokurov, Schnabel, Assayas and on and on.

Awesome lineup.

Notes on Cannes Lineup

*The version of Tarantino's Death Proof to be shown is 10-15 minutes longer than the one currently showing in North America.

CROSS-BORDER CINEMA

My Blueberry Nights is directed by a Chinese (WKW), financed with European money, and shot in the US with American and British actors.

American Abel Ferrara's Go Go Tales is an Italian production, set in New York but filmed in Italy.

Variety is describing Mexican enfant terrible Carlos Reygadas' new film as an "unusual Dutch-language Mennonite love story ".

American Julian Schnabel's biopic The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, about French Elle magazine editor-in-chief Jean Dominique Bauby's life with "locked-in" syndrome is in French.

Hungarian master Bela Tarr's long-aborning The Man From London, a Georges Simenon adaptation with Tilda Swinton, is in English and French.

Munyurangabo, by Korean-American helmer Chung Lee Isaac is set in Rwanda.

NOT AT CANNES

Woody Allen's new British crimer Cassandra's Dream, starring Ewan McGregor and Colin Farrell, was offered the closing night slot, but when Allen balked at that idea, discussions came to an end.

Hou Hsiao-hsien's The Red Balloon seemed to have Cannes written all over it - the Taiwanese helmer is a longtime fest darling and it's a French production starring Juliette Binoche - but the selection committee passed, as it did on Chinese director Jiang Wen's The Sun Also Rises with Joan Chen.

Two venerable figures from the French New Wave, Eric Rohmer, with Les amours d'Astree et de Celadon, and Claude Chabrol, with the Ludivine Sagnier starrer La Fille coupee en deux, are similarly conspicuous by their absence.

Two highly anticipated Yank entries, Todd Haynes' "I'm Not There" and Paul Thomas Anderson's "There Will Be Blood," simply were not finished in time to be considered.

(Information courtesy of Variety magazine)
    Last edited by oscar jubis; 04-22-2007 at 11:14 PM.

A lot of the preceding post comes directly from this Variety article:

"Cannes lines up American Feast," , April 19.

Direct quotations as I've pointed out before must be presented as such by using either the "quote + /quote" format, or regular quotation marks. Given that the Variety article gives a lot of other information, if would have been more helpful just to to cite the article and give the link. "Information courtesy of Variety magazine" is not the proper acknowledgment for direct quotation of major excerpts. It troubles me that you are slow to grasp this. It should be clearly indicated which are complete word for word quotations and which are summaries or references to information from the article, as some of your sentences also are.

Some of the best of these films in competition or out at Cannes will be likely to turn up at Toronto and later at the New York Film Festival. Those mentioned that are not making it to Cannes may also turn up at Toronto and/or the NYFF. Hou for instance. Likewise the Todd Haynes and PT Anderson movies if completed would be ones to watch for at upcoming festivals, but they'll no doubt have US releases before too long, once completed. The Rohmer and Chabrol will turn up at subsequent festivals, or quite likely at the next Rendez-Vous with French Cinema of the FSLC, which I expect to go on attending and writing about.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 04-23-2007 at 11:26 AM.

Wow, Hou's latest was passed on?
    That's staggering to me.
    I've only seen one Hou film and I think about it a lot. Sublime art .

And what's with Woody Allen balking at closing the festival. Weirdness man...

It's awesome to hear Death Proof is being expanded. You haven't commented on Grindhouse Oscar- I'm curious what you think :)

I'll watch anything by Wong Kar-Wei, British and American actors or not. Did you see that Cannes poster that used an image from "Days"?

Ludivine Sagnier is a honey-pie.
    (Watch Water Drops on Burning Rocks- you'll drool over that body). Why on earth are those 2 French Gods of cinema absent? Do you know a reason oscar?
    Last edited by Johann; 09-12-2007 at 08:33 PM.

How about the other Americans?

This discussion is stealing some of the fire from the SFIFF, but that is inevitable. So does Tribeca, more immediately. Note that both SFIFF and Tribeca offer things you won't find at Cannes, however.

As I said, Hou and others who didn't make the deadline or the cut at Cannes will turn up in subsequent festivals. Cannes is important, but it isn't the be-all and the end-all for new films.

We might look at Van Sant's new one, possibly going to be a more upscale and frankly white bread version of Wassup Rockers, a high schooler skateboarder film. Don't forget that Van Sant got the big prize at Cannes in 2003 for the similarly high-school newcomer based Elephant. Van Sant apparently finished his new one, Paranoid Park, in good time for Cannes. I guess this is a date some filmmakers keep in mind when they schedule a shooting.

I'm a little confused about Tarantino's Death Proof. Is it being presented without Planet Terror, out of the US theatrical presentation format? How does Rodriguez feel about that?

I'm glad that Fincher's Zodiac is a US entry. It is going to hold up as one of the year's best, I'm thinking.

The Coen brothers' No Country for Old Men is Cormac McCarthy's penultimate novel, a very bleak story (but with tie-ins with the cowboy genre) --no room for humor this time. Maybe this, which appears to be a turn in a new direction, will be an opportunity for them to go beyond the mediocrity of some of their recent work.

Wong Kar Wai's new one is set in America and stars Jude Law. I'm always dubious about that kind of shift in a director whose work has always been in his own country and language and in his own very special artistic mode. However, it was clear that in 2046 Wong had taken his Fifties-Sixties nostalgia themes about as far as they could reasonably go, and then further. At least he got it in on time, so the ultra-tweaking tendency was in check.

Michael Moore's Sicko doc on the US health system meltdown is out of competition, but ought to get good attention given his winning the big prize two years ago with Fahrenheit 9/11.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 04-23-2007 at 11:33 AM.

Sicko is listed on the imdb as "a comedy about 45 million people with no health care in the richest country on earth"

Gus van sant is always a man to watch.
    His films are high quality stuff, even if they're not for everybody..

The Coen's have a dark streak in them, but they can make a mean film. Sadly nothing they've done recently has interested me.

It does seem odd for Kar-Wei to make a movie with Jude Law. I hope he has very good reasons
    to justify it, but I have no problem with foreign directors looking west. Ang Lee and John Woo have proven that that ain't such a bad move...

The Weinstein's are behind splitting up Grindhouse I think. Bad box-office= change of release plans?

It's also Michael Moore's birthday today.
    He's 53.
    Happy B-Day Mike!

Wong, the Coens, Van Sant, Moore

It does seem odd for Kar-Wei to make a movie with Jude Law. I hope he has very good reasons to justify it, but I have no problem with foreign directors looking west. Ang Lee and John Woo have proven that that ain't such a bad move...
    I would go for Ang Lee more than John Woo. Lee has made some truly fine films in English, but I liked the pre-Hollywood Woo better. I hope for the best from Wong Kar Wai, who has always been my favorite "younger" Chinese director (till the younger and completely different Jia Zhang-ke came along) and (Wong, I mean) was my big discovery of the Eighties and Nineties. Jude Law has a decent record, but there's nothing exciting about it.
    The Coen's have a dark streak in them, but they can make a mean film. Sadly nothing they've done recently has interested me.
    Nor have they interested me, and several have been downright bad, such as The Man Who Wasn't There (the movie that wasn't there) and The Ladykillers (they should have left the original Alec Guinness classic alone). This ought to be something pretty different for them. Their worst enemy may be how prolific they are, and their humor can be borderline condescending. That No Country for Old Men may have no room for humor may be a plus.

Van Sant has been up and down in quality too, but with his recent trilogy

Gerry
    Elephant
    Last Days

he seemed to be going back to more original, less mainstream stuff and away from Psycho (a pointless exercise, , Good Will Hunting (70) , and its self-knockoff, Finding Forrester

Mala Noche (no score)
    Drugstore Cowboy 74
    My Own Private Idaho 77
    To Die For 86

--those will stand the test of time. And I like the recent trilogy a lot myself, though many have dismissed all or part of it. I"ve put the Metacritic scores after each one. If these are accurate estimates of the critical reactions, I do not agree with them.. I would say Finding Forrester (62) and Psycho (47) are the only critical responses I'd completely agree with, assuming again that Metacritic is correct in their estimates. Here's how they rate the recent trilogy:

Gerry 54
    Elephant 70
    Last Days 67

Relatively that may be about right, but each one should be at least ten points higher, in my opinion. I am not ready to rate To Die For so much higher than My Own Private Idaho. I'd rate it equally high or higher.

I will look forward to Sicko and hope it has at least as much effect on public opinion as Fahrenheit 9/11.

Bowling for Columbine has a renewed relevance after the Virginia Tech massacre. Maybe it was okay in principle to let that dangerous kid go back to class, but it was way too easy for him to get guns and ammunition.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 04-23-2007 at 03:38 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast