Thread: !Achtung, Johann

!Achtung, Johann

Steven Bach, author of the new book, "Leni" gave an incredible interview about Leni Riefenstahl on Charlie Rose last night; the most indepth revealing look at the woman I've ever seen. You can probably access the interview on Charlie Rose' web site.

During the interview, he debunked all the myths surrounding the filmmaker and tossed out several insights into her psyche. I know you posted several lengthy essays and thought you might be interested. Aufwiedersehen!
    Colige suspectos semper habitos

Danke
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

bitte

This material was extremely useful to me. Bach provides some very clear evidence that a significant portion of Triumph of the Will was shot in a studio with sets built by Albert Speer, Hitler's chief architect.
    Steven Bach speaks with authority about how Leni and Hitler came together. It was L.R.'s deep admiration for "Mein Kampf" that prompted her desire to meet Hitler and serve him in any way he wanted. Apparently, Bach's book contains undeniable evidence of this.
    "Leni" also apparently makes it clear that Leni Riefenstahl was a nazi-sympathizer and anti-semite who was aware and supportive of all the evil actions of Hitler and his followers.
    She was a damn fantastic photographer though.
    Thank you, cinemabon.

I didn't write any essays on Riefenstahl.
    I posted my thoughts after I saw The Wonderful, Horrible Life of...

I've gotta read this book now.
    There's another new hardcover book on Leni out as well- can't remember the author. But I clearly remember the photo section, which has pictures from the premiere of "Triumph of the Will" and it is a totally Nazi shindig. The outside of the theatre is decorated in complete Third Reich regalia.

I still have trouble with Leni being painted as an Anti-Semite.
    A Nazi sympathizer? Possibly all the way.
    But the more I think about the doc by Ray Muller the more i come to the conclusion that she does indeed have something to hide, something to atone for. She has a vibe about her in the doc that suggests she still hasn't come to terms with her "involvement", with her naivete.

Let's all buy the book, read it, and see what we learn.

We're all on the road to higher cinema history learning here, are we not? :)

After being rebuffed by Hollywood in a bid to have "Olympia" shown in America, she stated: "Hollywood is run by Jewish bankers who blackmail people to get their way." Her anti-semitism is a matter of record. The amount of direct testimony Bach uncovered proves that and more.

So you've read the book?
    I'm picking it up today.
    I'll post my thoughts after I read it.

I read the book over the weekend and it's the best book I've read on Leni. The scholarship is off the charts. Mr. Bach presents it with great insight and edifying info.

Remember when I said "if she's lying through her teeth about everything she says then I'm one sorry-ass mofo"?
    Well, Leni is/was a first-rate liar.
    And she IS a way better actress than I could ever know. I'm angry at her for being in so much denial. I believed her in Ray Muller's doc.
    I believed in her words. But her denial is so profoundly deep, her refusal to own up to what she actually did to FURTHER HER OWN AMBITIONS really disturbs me.

But here's the rub: my fascination with her career and her life is even higher than before.
    She is still the greatest female filmmaker in cinema history to me. Her artistic abilities in the film medium are just jaw-dropping.
    Even in the service of evil. That's precisely why I'm so fascinated. The art that was wrought in the service of Nazi's is utterly compelling to me. I have this wierd mixed feeling of admiration for her eye and her vision and sheer comtempt for her ignorance.

I'm angry that she refused to acknowledge her part in the whole scheme simply because her career came first.
    That letter she wrote to Hitler praising him to high heaven was a calculated letter, Bach points out. He says it was loaded with hyperbole, because her filmmaking career took precedence over everything- even Hitler himself. She would do whatever it took to make sure her career was unharmed.
    That is and was her fatal flaw.
    I learned a lot about her and and Hitler and the war and Germany (specifically BERLIN) and this biography is a must-have for any film buff.
    Absolutely essential reading.

I owe Bix and cinemabon and everybody who read my comments on "The Wonderful Horrible Life Of" an apology.

My history was specious indeed and with a matter of such importance and sensitivity I should indeed have policed myself better.
    Thanks for letting me know about the book cinemabon. Everybody here would learn a lot from it. Mr. Bach's book is a huge addition to film history scholarship- the best book written
    on Leni Riefenstahl to date.
    You hear that a lot: "best book written", but you'll know it when you open it how well-crafted it is, with a perfect photo section- with the most essential photos.
    It's better than the other bio I talked about- by Jurgen something-or-other. I looked at the other one at Chapters (read a few pages) and Bach's book is vastly superior.
    Last edited by Johann; 06-25-2007 at 09:01 AM.

Apology accepted, Captain Needer!

(then of course, you are supposed to drop to the floor and writhe in agony... ala Darth Vader)

Right.

I owe Bix and cinemabon and everybody who read my comments on "The Wonderful Horrible Life Of" an apology.

Apology accepted.