Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nyff 2007

Nyff 2007

Here is a preview of the lineup. Reviews will appear in the Festival Coverage section in late September and early October. The festival runs from September 28-October 14. More detail can be found on the website of the Film Society of Lincoln Center, www.filmlinc.com.

AGAIN, 28 OFFICIAL SELECTIONS, AND 7 OTHER SCREENING EVENTS

OPENING NIGHT
    The Darjeeling Limited
    Wes Anderson, US, 2007; 91m
    Fox Searchlight
    Three brothers travel and bicker on a train on a spiritual journey through India. Owen Wilson, Jason Schwartzman, Adrien Brody.

Screening with:
    Hotel Chevalier
    Wes Anderson, US, 2007; 12m
    Fox Searchlight

CLOSING NIGHT
    Persepolis
    Marjane Satrapi & Vincent Paronnaud, France, 2007; 95m
    Sony Pictures Classics
    Animated film version of Satrapi's graphic novels about growing up in revolutionary Iran.

CENTERPIECE
    No Country for Old Men
    Joel and Ethan Coen, US, 2007; 122m
    Miramax
    Adaptation of the Cormac McCarthy novel about a Texas drug deal gone bad. Josh Brolin, Javier Bardem and Tommy Lee Jones.

4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days
    Christian Mungiu, Romania, 2007; 113m
    IFC First Take
    A desperate search for an illegal abortion in pre-perestroika Romania.

Actresses
    Valeria Bruni-Tedeschi, France, 2007; 110m
    A middle-aged actress desperate to marry and have children. Starring Bruni-Tedeschi.

Alexandra
    Alexander Sokurov, Russia, 92m
    Rezo Films
    An old lady visits her son's unit in Chechnya

The Axe in the Attic
    Ed Pincus & Lucia Small, US, 2007; 110m
    Documentary of the post-Katrina Gulf Coast diaspora.

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

Sidney Lumet, USA, 117m
    ThinkFilm
    A perfect crime plotted by two brothers that goes wrong . Philip-Seymour Hoffman and Ethan Hawke.

RETROSPECTIVE:
    Blade Runner: The Definitive Cut
    Ridley Scott, US, 1982/2007; 118m
    Warner Brothers

Calle Santa Fe
    Carmen Castillo, France, 2007; 163m
    Autobiographical remembrance of life as a revolutionary in Chile.

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
    Julian Schnabel, France/U.S., 2007; 112m
    Miramax
    Adaptation of Jean-Dominique Bauby's autobiographical story about coping with paralysis.

SPECIAL EVENT
    Fados
    Carlos Saura, Spain/Portugal, 2007; 92m
    Documentary of the song form. Another panel in Saura's musical series.

The Flight of the Red Balloon
    Hou Hsiao-hsien, France, 2007; 113m
    IFC First Take
    A homage to the French children's classic with Juliette Binoche as the mother of a lonely boy who spends his days with a Chinese au pair.

A Girl Cut In Two
    Claude Chabrol, France, 2007; 115m
    Two men (Benoit Maginel, Francois Berleand) compete for the affections of a TV weather girl (Ludivine Sagnier)

Go Go Tales
    Abel Ferrara, Italy/US, 2007; 96m
    Willem Dafoe, Bob Hoskins, Sylvia Miles and Asia Argento struggle to keep a New York strip joint going before Times Square was sanitized.

RETROSPECTIVE
    Hamlet
    Sven Gade & Heinz Schall, Germany, 1920-21; 110m
    Print Courtesy of the German Film Institute (Deutsche Filminstitut)
    Piano accompaniment by Donald Sosin
    Danish classic in which a woman plays Hamlet.

I Just Didn't Do It
    Masayuki Suo, Japan, 2007; 143m
    False indictment of a man for groping a girl on a train.

I'm Not There
    Todd Haynes, US, 2007; 136m
    The Weinstein Company
    Impressionistic Bob Dylan biography with Dylan played alternately by Cate Blanchett, Richard Gere, Christian Bale, Marcus Carl Franklin, Heath Ledger, and Ben Whishaw.

In the City of Sylvia
    Jose Luis Guerin, Spain/France, 2007; 90m
    A young man sketching in a cafe pursues a lost love.

RETROSPECTIVE
    The Iron Horse
    John Ford, US, 1924; 132m
    20th Century Fox
    About the building of the transcontinental railway.

The Last Mistress
    Catherine Breillat, France, 2007; 114m
    IFC First Take
    Amorous scandal surrounding a marriage in the reign of Louis Philippe.

RETROSPECTIVE
    Leave Her to Heaven
    John M. Stahl, US, 1945; 110m
    Noir classic of a manipulative woman (Gene Tierney), a favorite of Pedro Almodovar.

The Man From London
    Bela Tarr, Hungary/France/Germany, 2007; 132m
    A man discovers a suitcase full of banknotes. Based on a Georges Simenon novel.

Margot at the Wedding
    Noah Baumbach, US, 2007; 93m
    Paramount Vantage
    Sibling rivalry at a family gathering in Connecticut, with Nicole Kidman and Jennifer Jason Leigh as sisters.

Married Life

Ira Sachs, USA, 2007; 90m
    A "four-hand roundelay" set in the Pacific Northwest in the Forties, based on a British crime novelist's book. With Chris Cooper, Patricia Clarkson, Rachel McAdams, Pierce Brosnan.

Mr. Warmth, The Don Rickles Project
    John Landis, US, 2007; 90m
    A documentary abut the abusive comic.

The Orphanage
    Juan Antonio Bayona, Spain, 100m
    Picturehouse
    A supernatural thriller that turns darker.

SPECIAL EVENT
    The Other Side of the Mirror: Bob Dylan Live at the Newport Folk Festival, 1963-1965
    Murray Lerner, US, 2007; 80m
    Portraits of Bob Dylan going through a transitional period from chipper to darker using Lerner's footage from the time.

Paranoid Park
    Gus Van Sant, US, 2007; 85m
    IFC First Take
    Memories and experiences of a skateboarder involved in an accidental murder.

Redacted
    Brian DePalma, US, 2007; 90m
    Magnolia
    Fictionalized story of an American solider involved in an atrocity in Iraq.

The Romance of Astrea and Celadon
    Eric Rohmer, France, 2007; 109m
    Rezo Films
    Rohmer, now 87, adapts Honore d'Urfe's 17th century pastoral romance.

Secret Sunshine
    Lee Chang-dong, Korea, 2007; 142m
    Complex story of a widow and her young son who relocate to the country.

Silent Light
    Carlos Reygadas, Mexico, 2007; 142m
    In Plautdietsch, about the Mennonite community in Norther Mexico, a tale of love and betrayal based on Carl Dreyer's Ordet.

SPECIAL EVENT
    Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers: Runnin' Down a Dream
    Peter Bogdanovich, US, 2007; 238m
    A thoroughgoing history of the band.

RETROSPECTIVE
    Underworld
    Josef von Sternberg, US, 1927; 80m
    Accompaniment by the Alloy Orchestra
    Pioneering effort of the gangster genre.

Useless
    Jia Zhang-ke, Hong Kong, 2007; 80m
    A far-reaching documentary about clothing that examines in a free-form way what we wear and what we are.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 05-10-2008 at 10:02 PM.

Very much looking forward to your reviews. As usual, I hope you don't miss a single film that doesn't have distribution. When do the previews start?

Probably around September 18th. I will make my coverage as complete as I can, at least on the 28 official selections. I can't promise any coverage of the numerous sidebar items, though. Whatever I have the stamina for, I'll do. It will depend a little on the scheduling too.

Sounds good.
    I just attended a screening of a 35 mm print of Leave Her to Heaven. Is it the Fest billing it as a "noir classic"? It's a campy and lurid melodrama with gorgeous technicolor cinematography. I enjoyed it for what it is.
    The Reygadas film will probably get distribution in the future. It's been widely praised and described by some as significantly less transgressive than his two previous features.

A lot of things get called "noir" and a lot of things get called "noir classic," including this one. It's available on DVD at Netflix and has a good viewer rating, but sounds mediocre (though better than a lot they call "noir"). As I said, I'm only shooting for the official selections, not the sidebar items, so Stahl won't be included on my schedule, and may not be shown at a press screening. Some retrospective items might, and there might be interesting Q&A's with them--that would be what would justify attending: a good on stage discussion afterwards. I don't have to exclude any of the official selections as long as my health and stamina and the scheduling permit. The scheduling was very wearing last year and if they again show three or four a day day after day, I might skip some just to survive. Unfortunately. Let's hope they're better spread out as they were in 2005, though.

Great. I hope it works out so that you can review all the official selections. Have fun!

You're right. A lot of things get called noir nowadays. I think the term "sells". Kevin Wynn of the local Rewind/Fast-Forward fest introduced the film here as a "woman's picture" as it was marketed in the 40s and emphasized its campy elements_aspects that have dated in a manner that provokes laughter from a segment of the contemporary audience (as opposed to a similarly-titled masterpiece like All that Heaven Allows which would generate no laughter from an audience). Afterwards, Kevin pointed out to me that it was mostly the males in the audience who were laughing whereas generally women took the film more seriously. I don't quite mean to refer to Leave Her to Heaven as "mediocre" but I wouldn't call it a "classic", much less a "noir classic". It's an engaging, compulsively watchable studio picture that has a crime element; enough for savvy programmers to bill it as a "noir classic". I had seen it on dvd but I wouldn't want to miss a repertory screening, rare as they are nowadays.

Nothing beats a new 35mm print for clarity and framing, something even the HD experience cannot duplicate, i.e. Academy framing, impossible with 16:9 televisions.
    Colige suspectos semper habitos

Indeed. Though re-dos of old B&W films for good DVD's are quite wonderful nowadays.

Originally posted by cinemabon
    Nothing beats a new 35mm print for clarity and framing, something even the HD experience cannot duplicate, i.e. Academy framing, impossible with 16:9 televisions.
    I couldn't possibly agree more. I view the whole dvd business with great ambivalence. Absolutely NOTHING compares to theatrical screenings of 35 mm prints of studio films. The death of repertory theatres makes me so sad. My alma mater (UM) is considering building a new theater (the existing one can't handle 70 mm. and has to crop CinemaScope films somewhat) mostly to show a large collection of studio prints donated recently by a rich benefactor. There are funding issues they tell me so it might not happen. They are screening Bergman and Antonioni films this month, a combination of 35 mm. prints and digital projection. You know which ones I'm interested in.

Hey Chris ... I will be heading to NYFF for the first time this year. I'm really excited. Unfortunately, in the middle of the TIFF craze, I missed the onsale and now am scrambling for tickets online. It worked at TIFF so I'm hoping it works here too. I am hoping to catch NO COUNTRY FOR OLD ME and MARGOT AT THE WEDDING. I haev tickets to PARANOID PARK. The best thing about going to NYC though for a film fan is that even if I don't get the tickets I want, I can still see plenty of movies that won't play in Montreal for at least a few weeks. Last year I saw LITTLE CHILDREN there and the year before, I caught CAPOTE. Neither film played here for at least a month afterwards. Helps me get a bit of a jump on things. It would be great to catch the Julian Schnabel film or the Dylan pic but neither will be playing when I'm there. I hope you're going to see PERSEPOLIS. It was truly wonderful.
    I have no idea what I'm doing but incompetence has never prevented me from plunging in with enthusiasm.
    - Woody Allen

I hope to see all of them. The Schnabel picture shows to press Monday morning. Oscar feels, and I think he's basically right, that the important films to see at a festival are the ones that will not later be at a theater near you, ever. However, with the NYFF one gets both, and the selectinon quality level is high. If you'd like to get in touch while you're in NYC my email is ccknippart@gmail.com.

September 16, 2007, NYC.

Press screenings begin tomorrow. Watch this thread for links to the festival coverage.

Openers:

Julian Schnabel, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

Masayuki Suo, I Just Didn't Do It.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast