Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Nyff 2007

Some local writers apparently love Secret Sunshine. I don't know why--not given the meandering, stumbling plot. I think I saw Peppermint Candy. I'm almost sure. But it didn't seem that great.

I don't say anything's wrong with The Orphanage, but it isn't really Nyff material, except as a gesture to del Toro and to the young filmmakers.

Tarr's fimls are obviously an extremely hard sell and so hard to get funding for, plus the death of Balsam was a blow for various hard to produce directors. This was a good sample of his style, but I"m sure he's done better; I hope much better. I feel the same way about Sokurov, whose new one Alexandra is coming up this week: superb stylist, marvellous when he hits his stride, sometimes turgid.

I may have seen Cria. Is it the one about hunting? I think I"ve read something you wrote about it. But if it is the one I saw, it didn't make that strong an impression on me. Don't think I"ve seen Ay Carmela!

Coming up from today: coverage of Gus Van Sant's Paranoid Park and Todd Haynes' I'm Not There. The Q&A for the latter featured Jim HOberman with Haynes, Oscar. You'd have loved it. And Haynes in fact was very articulate and knows his Dylan

Got it. Thanks.

TODD HAYNES: I'M NOT THERE (2007)

Last edited by Chris Knipp; 10-05-2007 at 06:57 PM.

*In your review of I'm Not There, you mention "Iggy Stooges". I think you meant to write Iggy Pop of the Stooges or Iggy & The Stooges (as they called themselves after reuniting a couple of years ago).

*Oh, absolutely. Chang-dong Lee does have a following. Perhaps a devoted following. I wouldn't miss any of his movies, but I don't think he's made his masterpiece yet, or anything truly great.

*Hoberman interviewing Haynes? Heaven.

*No, Cria is not the Saura movie about hunting. That'd be The Hunt ('67) which was voted once by the Spanish Critics Assoc. as the best Spanish movie of all time. It's brilliant political allegory but I prefer his Cannes winner Cria, with the best child actor ever: Ana Torrent.

Thanks for the corrections, and I'll fix Iggy.

ALEKSANDR SOKUROV: ALEXANDRA (2007)

Coming up: No Country for Old Men, new Coem brothers film screened for press by the Nyff today. The Coens, Javier Bardem, Tommy Lee Jones, Josh Brolin, and Kelkly Macdonald were there for the Q&A. Moderator Lisa Schwartzbaum.

Tonight I expect to see Michael Clayton on my own.

VALERIA BRUNI TEDESCHI: ACTRESSES (2007)

MARJANE SATRAPI, VINCENT PARONNAUD: PERSEPOLIS (2007)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast