Dylan seems to be looking ever more iconic these days, so Haynes' film celebration seems extremely well-timed. I'm looking for the film (a re-issue) that was a sidebar at the NYFF I had to miss:
The Other Side of the Mirror: Bob Dylan Live at the Newport Folk Festival, 1963-65
Series: The 45th New York Film Festival [Sep 28 - Oct 14 2007]
Director: Murray Lerner, Country: USA, Release: 2007, Runtime: 80

Filmmaker Murray Lerner captured the spirit of the era at the Newport Folk Festival, as well as the extraordinary music produced on its stage, in his woefully neglected Festival. Now Lerner has gone back to his Newport footage and crafted a revealing portrait of the young Bob Dylan during the crucial period of 1963-65, as he grows progressively darker and more withdrawn and he and his band take their first steps toward rock and roll. The film features stirring versions of some of his most famous songs, including some legendary duets with Joan Baez. A great document
This is on DVD in perhaps slightly different form, and maybe you can rent it, but I haven't seen it. Anyway it's being reissued by IFC, is my understanding, and it will be nice to see it in theaters some time soon right in the wake of, first, NO DIRECTION HOME, and now I'M NOT THERE. There was also the Morgan Library exhibition of a rich collection of Dylan memorabilia and records early this year, and one can always re-watch Leacock-Pennebaker's equally iconic DON'T LOOK BACK.

http://www.filmlinc.com/nyff/program...themirror.html