Thread: DREAMS-eight little perls of a greate poet

duranteluca Guest

DREAMS-eight little perls of a greate poet

It's too difficult to create a list of favourites, for me there is no sense to do this kind of thing. I prefer to start a voyage inside some of my favourites, so i can increase my ( and your) attention on its.
    In this first time i write in this forum I'd like to spent few words about a beautiful Akira Kurosawa' s movie: DREAMS .
    There is no words about this giant of the cinema of all times, I' m sure that every one who write on this forum have listen (or read) his name a lot of times. About this movie I like to put the attenction to the incredible Kurosawa's skill of create a marvellous and oniric scenarios. This eight vignettes, each dreamed by Kurosawa, are eight little perls of a poet of the cinema. In particulary the first ("Sunshine Through the Rain") are for me a projection of what I dream when I was a child. The fourth("The tunnel") is full of oniric fear of responsability; the fifth("The crows") is a heartfull tribute to Vincent VanGogh' s world ( with one of most famous Chopin's prelude ).
    Kurosawa paint a real masterwork as a director and show as also what kind of great and sensibility person he was.
    I really hope you like it!

I had the privilege to see Kurosawa's Dreams on the big screen in 1996- on a double bill with Trainspotting, of all flicks..

Powerful is an understatement. I walked home very slowly after this magnum opus, and I was a literally changed person. The opening sequence with the "foxes' was memorable, as were the soldier, snowbound and final episodes.

Apparently these vignettes were Akira's ACTUAL dreams that he filmed... Amazing. And to think, he was EIGHTY (80) YEARS OLD when he shot it...Legend, anyone?
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Dreams

I have seen every Kurosawa film, he is my favorite director. My first exposure to Kurosawa was "Throne of Blood" in an Aesthetics class I was taking. The second film was "Ran" and my third was "Akira Kurosawa's Dreams". I was lyrical, beautiful, and totally absorbing in other words "dreamlike". I highly recommend this film, particularly to those who have only experienced the black & white action side of Kurosawa. It will shed new light on those older films and on the auteur himself.