Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2007: The Year In Film

He Was a Quiet Man - Recommendation

He Was a Quiet Man (2007). A compelling and visually fascinating look at a deranged corporate man played by Christian Slater in one of the best performances in years who befriends a female employee who is serious injured in a tragic accident at work. This reveals some of the best inner workings of the terrible experiences and emotions that compel people to inhuman actions. Reviewed 2/21/08.

First time I hear about it. Slater can definitely "do" deranged. Reviewed by you? Where?

US release (limited, NY and LA only) 23 November 2007, to DVD 28 January 2008. US opening weekend box office (3 screens) $2,431. Stephen Holden of the NYTimes did give it a full-length review which I missed because I was out of the country at that time. James Bernardinelli gives further information and a comment on its quality:
    He Was a Quiet Man played a lot of film festivals in early 2007 but never gained enough traction to attract a major distributor. Eventually, Starz Entertainment bought the rights and gave it a short, limited theatrical run in November 2007 to avoid the "straight to DVD" tag. For the most part, the movie flew under the radar, collecting only 14 external reviews at IMDB

He Was A Quiet Man: My Brief Review

One of the best performances of the year (2007), Christian Slater's acting is superb and in fact spectacular. Completely disposing of his own personal character, Mr. Slater has been able to transform himself entirely in this very performance labored production as a deranged employee. Heavy elements of BRAZIL (1985) come to mind in this updated version of contemporary fantasy-reality of the harsh facts of corporate existence and the alienation from the human compassion in today's civilization. This production incorporates startling relevant human relation issues that pertain to today's violent world. With the apparent increasing media attention to shootings in malls and schools by individuals whose behavior has bewildered America, this movie begins to shed some light on this tragic existence of some individuals in our Country. This innovative production value with a new fresh look together with an intense drama script come together to make this one of the best movies of the year. Except perhaps for an ending that could have gone in a number of different directions, this movie is the complete package for emotional engagement, dazzling visual images, this movie is a must see for anybody who is concerned about humanity in today's modern world. Nine out of Ten Stars.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12