Thread: 2007 Oscar Awards

2007 Oscar Awards

Stephen Galloway, Hollywood Reporter, February 17.

-- Now “No Country” is the film to beat. But does that mean it is certain to win? Oscar veterans theorize that it and “Blood” could split the same indie-leaning vote, leaving an opening for “Atonement” or “Clayton.” “Juno” could even ride its uniqueness into an upset win. This is no awards season for the weak of heart. --

I'm betting ATONEMENT sneaks in as best picture Oscar next Sunday.

I am rooting most enthusiastically for Julie Christie (good chance), Julian Schnabel's directing (some chance), Sarah Polley's script (small chance), and Casey Affleck for his portrayal of the Coward Robert Ford (no chance).

I want Atonement to win Best Film but There Will Be Blood is also pretty good. I think The Bourne Ultimatum deserves Best Editing but I doubt it will win.

But let's face it, the big question is whether host Jon Stewart will borrow from Letterman and pull something like: "Saoirse? Viggo!, Viggo? Saoirse!!

There Will Be Blood

When a movie like There Will Be Blood that has technical flaws can be considered a great film, its an even better, stronger film for its flaws. If There Will Be Blood wins Best Picture over Atonement , I would feel disappointed, it deserved it. However, if No Country for Old Men wins Best Picture, it will be just another example how oddity and supposed novelty sometimes overtakes the technical merits of more deserving movies. I would even accept Juno over No Country for Old Men . Jennifer Garner did a good job in Juno . I hope Casey Affleck gets Best Supporting Actor - his role was much more varied and the emotional convolutions that he had to go through amazing.

Did anyone get my joke at end of post, or is it simply not funny?

I've psychologically prepared myself for No Country winning. It won't be like the unexpected blow of watching Crash beat Brokeback.
    Last edited by oscar jubis; 02-24-2008 at 01:29 PM.

To Be Funny or Not To Be

Unfortunately, if Jon Stewart spoke of Saoirse in a comic way, I'd be upset, because I would like to see her win for her performance in Atonement as Best Supporting Actress.

I got the joke Oscar.
    Some people are just not on the same wavelength...

Once again I find myself at a loss for the Oscars.
    Where did the year go?

By just going on my cinema radar, I feel
    There Will Be Blood will collect some trophies.

No Country For Old Men is a textbook "GREAT FILM", but man, I wasn't moved nary an inch while watching it.
    How is this possible with a Coen Brothers film?
    I felt like my hand was being held...for what?
    It just seemed like an exercise to me.
    Just a chance for the brothers and Roger Deakins and Jones and Bardem to exercise their talents.
    I suppose there's no fault in that but I must confess I'm wondering why this particular story was the one they felt t hey had to film now.
    The craft is undeniably there- no one's contesting the absolute precision the Coen's always deliver, it's just, where's the weenie?
    Where's the weenie, the kill, Joker, the kill!

Juno I want to see because of it's come-out-of-nowhere charm, but I'm leery of this type of story to be honest.

Atonement sounds syrupy, but I can't really judge.
    Everybody's saying it's award-worthy, so I'll wait until I see it.

I'm happy for Julie Christie and Sarah Polley.
    You go girls!
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Best Picture should be, in my opinion, There Will Be Blood. I still think it's the best film made this decade.

No Country For Old Men was quite good but I think its strengths lie in the source material and the adaptation of it. Liked Roger Deakins' cinematography very much.

Atonement was okay but I think its' raison d'etre is contained in that one long tracking shot of the Brit-ravaged coast of France. It struck me as a gratuitous and distracting scene that took the place of the entire film. But films like these are what Oscar--the academy, not Mr. Jubis--likes (although here I guess they're in agreement).

Juno was better than I thought it would be, especially midway through when the film takes an uncomfortable turn. But it's also the kind of film Oscar (again, the academy) likes and the Little Miss Sunshine trend of indie nominations will probably continue--most likely a result of the academy's attempt to save itself and its relevance with younger viewers.

I thought Michael Clayton was a dud--easy to follow (and thus predict) and full of self-congratulation. We've seen this before in Syriana and George Clooney's performace here seems a repeat of the previous film's. I'm also a little tired of his vague haranguing about the nastiness of large corporations, especially because he's mostly preaching to the converted. The subtlety of his own film Good Night, And Good Luck needs his better examination.
    Last edited by bix171; 02-24-2008 at 03:20 PM.

Thanks for getting the joke Johann. We agree about No Country.
    I practically like "Blood" about as much as Atonement but the latter has a better ending IMHO. I felt Anderson "fumbled the ball with two minutes to go" if you don't mind football analogies. Bix is right that I am less inclined than an Academy member to respond to Atonement, but I did and that's to the film's credit. The last time I liked a movie of this type so much was about 7 years ago (The House of Mirth).
    Corporations suck but Michael Clayton doesn't belong at the Oscars. And I do like Clooney the man.
    Last edited by oscar jubis; 02-25-2008 at 02:15 PM.