Thread: Favorite Hitchcock Films

Favorite Hitchcock Films

Even determining the ten best films of one of the great filmmakers, like Hitchcock, is not easy. I can watch almost any of his films repeatedly, and my favorite really depends upon my mood and how tired I am. For shear excitement, and great twists and turns, it’s hard to beat NORTH BY NORTHWEST. For mood and atmosphere, there’s VERTIGO and REBECCA. For a bone chilling ride, there’s PSYCHO (even after knowing it well). I remember seeing PSYCHO when it was released. The big thing was that no one was to be admitted after it started, and we were asked not to reveal the film’s secrets to anyone. What a shocker! The star was murdered in the first half hour. The only thing I can remember that comes close to that shower sequence (especially when seen the first time during the first release of the movie) is the less terrifying, and more bizarre revelation that comes in THE CRYING GAME. Anyway, here’s my Hitchcock list:
    My Favorite Hitchcock Films:
    1. VERTIGO
    2. NORTH BY NORTHWEST
    3. PSYCHO
    4. STRANGERS ON A TRAIN
    5. THE 39 STEPS
    6. REBECCA
    7. NOTORIOUS
    8. SHADOW OF A DOUBT
    9. SPELLBOUND
    10. REAR WINDOW

1) Rear Window
    2) North by Northwest
    3) Vertigo
    4) Psycho
    5) Lifeboat
    6) Strangers on a Train
    7) The Birds
    8) Rope
    9) Shadow of a Doubt
    10) The Lady Vanishes

I notice that neither of you have included "Dial M For Murder". I reckon Dial M is Hitchcock's best and would easily be in my top 10 of all time.

I guess I liked the atmosphere of the thing - and the almost comic way in which the husband tries to cover up the cock up that occurred. No-one else seems to like this film like I do - still each to their own. So I guess my top 10 Hitchcock would be

1. Dial M For Murder
    2. (heaps of daylight)
    3. North By Northwest
    4. Psycho
    5. The Man Who Knew Too Much
    6. Rope
    7. Lifeboat
    8. Vertigo
    9. Stangers On A Train.
    10. Notorious

I know that's only 9 - but I wanted to give a feel of how much better Dial M is than the rest

Originally posted by Russ
    I notice that neither of you have included "Dial M For Murder". I reckon Dial M is Hitchcock's best and would easily be in my top 10 of all time.

I guess I liked the atmosphere of the thing - and the almost comic way in which the husband tries to cover up the cock up that occurred. No-one else seems to like this film like I do - still each to their own. So I guess my top 10 Hitchcock would be

I know that's only 9 - but I wanted to give a feel of how much better Dial M is than the rest
    Funny, I rank it #11...unfortunately not available on DVD!

Gosh...

I really didn't like Vertigo, the greatest reason being that I didn't understand it. I really didn't understand what was so suspenseful about it.

Anyway, here's my list:

1. The Birds
    2. Rear Window
    3. North by Northwest
    4. Dial M for Murder

Now, Charade isn't Hitchcock, but if old Alfie were to direct that picture I'm sure it would have been greatly similar.
    "So I'm a heel, so what of it?"
    --Renaldo the Heel, from Crimewave

1. Vertigo
    2. Psycho
    3. Rear Window
    4. Notorious
    5. The Trouble with Harry
    6. Lifeboat
    7. Strangers on a Train
    8. The Birds
    9. Marnie
    10. Shadow of a Doubt