I appreciate the 2 replies above! I've not seen the latest incarnation of Metropolis. I've not been able to get to the cinema (or even rent as often as usual) in the last year.

I did get a Mizoguchi dvd, with English subtitles not long ago; the slow, majestic Loyal 47 Ronin (incredible spatial explorations, an anti-action film), from Fnac internet shopping in France. It was expensive (in 2 parts) but worth every penny. Also some other of his videos, unavailable in Britain, from there- cheap- but with French rather than English subtitles.

Double Life of Veronique is less important than Dekalog and Three Colours but, much as i admire them, i happen to like it more. A Short Film about Love (Dklg 6) is also superb.

Oliveira; yes, I'm Going Home, though i enjoyed its wistful elegance, is less ambitious and distinguished than some. "No or the Vain Glory of Command" (Portuguese soldiers in Angola discuss episodes in their country's history, which are shown) is interesting and well worth seeing, but flawed. Aniki Bobo, his neo-realist classic from 1942, is one i particularly want to see; and Amor de Perdicao (1978).

The Innocent is indeed one of Visconti's best; typically refined, lush and sumptuous and with his sharp sting in the tail. The ending of Senso is almost too cynical, but the film is magnificent.

Spirit of the Beehive; quite right again. Ana Torrent's performance is the finest by a child. It has a lovely intimacy and child's sense of mystery.