Thread: Wild at Heart

Wild at Heart

WILD AT HEART
    Hotter than Georgia asphalt

This steamy David Lynch film is not for everyone.
    In fact I reckon most people would hate it to death.
    I can hear them now: "It's not a movie- it's just a jumble of non-sensible pieces! With two wierd lead performances!"

Maybe that's true to the person who doesn't listen to the music of the spheres.
    Like some critic said about Godard: You have to catch his rhythm.

Wild at Heart has a rhythm, a pulse, an Elvis Presley cadence.
    Nicolas Cage plays Sailor Ripley, a guy who just got out of Pee Dee Pen, and he's in love with Lula (Laura Dern). When they aren't gettin' it on between the sheets, they're on the road, they're dancing, they're makin' hay while the sun still shines.

Lula's Mom Marietta wants Sailor dead, and she sets up a hit.

That's all I'm gonna give you on this one.
    It's got some disturbing ideas & themes- abuse, dysfunction, betrayal, and I kept thinking that Oliver Stone or Tarantino took some inspiration from Lynch for NBK. And QT might have had even more juice from this to write True Romance. Seems that way. This film also follows in the tradition of Malick's Badlands

One of my top three fave Lynch films.
    It's the kind of movie that was made for those who love experimental, offbeat esoteric films.
    Everybody in it has a kind of internal logic to their behavior.
    The soundtrack is killer: "Wicked Game" by Chris Isaac, "Baby Please Don't Go" by Van Morrison & Them, Nicolas sings an Elvis tune to Lula (and another one at the end), and lots of flames dance during the opening credits.

It's a fucking COOL movie, man. Really rockin' & rollin'
    with really bizarre and disturbing avenues.

I'm so glad David Lynch walks the earth.
    I asked a guy I know at work who loves movies what he thought of Wild at Heart and he said all David Lynch films are just one long movie. Hmmm...

And the Wizard of Oz is all over this movie...
    Make of it what you will.
    Last edited by Johann; 06-06-2008 at 10:53 PM.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd