Thread: Review of PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE

Review of PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE

"Paul Thomas Anderson is one of the more inspired filmmakers working today, taking giant steps beyond expectation and maneuvering his way through highly personal and universal topics. Even though his work on Boogie Nights and Magnolia recalls the films of the likes of Altman and Scorsese, it is so utterly unique and daring and sincerely realized that it demands attention, and Anderson deserves every bit of the praise lavished upon him just as much as every accusation of pretentiousness leveled against him. And this is why Punch-Drunk Love, Anderson ’s ninety-minute ode to desperate, needy love, is such a disappointment—a resoundingly unique, daring, and sincere one, but a disappointment nonetheless. Because of or despite its relatively short running time, Punch-Drunk Love is a case of a writer/director either not having enough time to develop certain aspects of his film or finding himself low on creative resources and filling in the blanks with anything. Or perhaps everything is in order, and I simply didn’t 'get it.' I admire the film on many levels, particularly one: the performance of its leading man (of all people), Adam Sandler."

Mark's Full Review
    Check out my reviews at Mark Reviews Movies

your review

I find your review inaccurate. I know it is a matter of opinion, but "Punch Drunk" is getting rave reviews. I find the way you desribe it as dragging to be way off base.
    " We can't run from who we are. Our destiny chooses us " - Rounders

Re: your review

Originally posted by missionimpossib
    I find your review inaccurate. I know it is a matter of opinion, but "Punch Drunk" is getting rave reviews. I find the way you desribe it as dragging to be way off base.
    I didn't think Punch-Drunk Love dragged, so I re-read my review to see where I may have implied that. I think it was my comment about the "aimless wandering," which I can definitely see someone interpreting as "boring," but take my word that the last thing I thought of Punch-Drunk Love was that it was boring.

And just to reiterate, I admired and enjoyed the film; I just wasn't thrilled with it.
    Check out my reviews at Mark Reviews Movies

Re: your review

Originally posted by missionimpossib
    I think everyone is entitled to their own review. "Rave reviews" are harldy a reason to call this film great. If you think its great, missionimpossib, then so be it, but each user is entitled to his or her own opinion. If we just went with the "reviews" then what would be the point of even showing up to discuss it here??