Thread: Nanette Burstein: American Teen (2008)

Nanette Burstein: American Teen (2008)

Nanette Burstein: American Teen (2008)

High school types, in real life

Though not searching or unusual, the new documentary American Teen, which focuses on a group of students in their senior year at a high school in the little town of Warsaw, Indiana, still hits enough of the bases to be, for mainstream audiences, sensationally touching, interesting, and familiar. And if there is nothing new or newsworthy, the joys and sorrows, cliques and outsiders will take you back. Burstein worked on the Oscar-nominated documentary On the Ropes. She knows what she's doing, and this stuff is well packaged.

In some ways it's almost too well packaged. First of all the jaunty editing of the intro and the animations to show different kids' fantasy lives are a bit too cute and pat--though maybe it's fair to say these kid's fantasies aren't too complex in real life. Warsaw, Indiana is not a place of great sophistication. Burstein structures things in the same old way with familiar categories: The Jock (Colin Clemens), the Geek (Jake Tusing), the Rebel (Hannah Baile), the Princess (Megan Krizmanich), and the Heartthrob (Mitch Reinholt). The director picks one of each and sticks with them. Thankfully they depart from category--as Burstein expects them too--even as they tend to buy into the way life or school have type-cast them. Colin the Jock almost blows his chances of an athletic scholarship to college. Megan the Princess commits an act of vandalism that takes her down a peg when she's caught, and she's far from a shoe-in to her chosen school (Notre Dame). After many disappointments and rejections, Jake the Geek finds love. Perhaps most remarkably of all, for a while at least Mitch, the Heartthrob, happily dates the misfit girl Rebel, Hannah.

Social behavior and social categories in high school are predictable. But it's the ways those categories get twisted and the rules are broken that make life real and a story like this something that transcends sociology and tiptoes by the back door into something romantic and human and multi-layered. There's no doubt about the fact that the film finds the Rebel and the Geek most interesting in the bunch over all, and focuses on the popular kids most attentively when they become momentarily interesting by messing up.

A warning for anyone outside the Red State American white middle class. Though Colin's dad can't afford to send him to college without a scholarship, the film doesn't show us real poverty--or extraordinary wealth, even though Megan lives in a McMansion and drives a Mercedes. There's nobody gay, or foreign, or handicapped in sight, and even the basketball team (the "Tigers," the athletic pinnacle of Warsaw High) seems to have only one black member. There's also nobody markedly brilliant or intellectual and not a minute is wasted on whatever goes on in the classroom except for a mock interview where Hannah candidly reveals she has not the slightest interest in landing a conventional job. Reading and writing and 'rithmetic? Whatever. Basketball? Big deal. Dating? Big, big, big deal--especially for the ones who find it hard to land and hold onto a boy or girl.

The "winners" are the most predictable. Megan is self-centered and bossy. Mitch is cute and has an infectious smile. When Megan's best male friend and best girl friend start getting interested in each other, Megan gets hopping mad. Darn it, it's meant to be all about her. Jake and Hannah have a perpetual hard time. Jake, who would be very cute if he took meds to clear up his acne, articulates the dysfunctionality of his school identity for the camera willingly, like the outspoken boy with Asperger's Syndrome in Jennifer Venditti's documentary Billy the Kid. Jake says his life sucks and girls shun him. Self-fulfilling prophesy? Not entirely. In earlier days maybe "geek" wasn't such a clear category. Jake knows the characteristics. Megan is blinded by ego, but even she shows some perception, post-Heathers, of the pros and cons of being an Alpha Female. The blurbs for this new movie say it's better than John Hughes or The Breakfast Club, but a lot of how we see these kids and they see themselves grows out of earlier pictures of high school in movies like Hughes'.

Jake talks in a monotone--as he notes--and his life is a dull round of slight failures. He is not a real outcast. He's at least in the school band. And his lack of friends, he says, makes him have a special need of a girlfriend so he keeps trying and sooner or later is shot down. This is not, however, a full-timne Geek. It's Geekhood lite. To avoid one important school dance he has no date for, he weekends with his older brother in San Diego, who gets him drunk in Mexico. He has a good time. He's a disaster at any social event with popular kids around. But he makes it to senior prom, and that leads to a surprise.

Dramas are not earth-shaking but many. In fact it would have been nice if the film had been edited to include more fun and funny moments and gone a little easier on the tears, to show teenagers do get to laugh and play. (One of the best laughs, and surprises, is a sequence showing Colin's dad moonlighting as an Elvis impersonator.) But it's true: for high school kids, almost anything can look like the end of the world. Most dramatic in that vein, Hannah's long-time boyfriend dumps her (all such assassinations are now conducted by Text Messaging). It turns out her mother is bi-polar and her father absent and she's essentially raised by her granny. The rejection leads to a depression so severe she can't go back to school for 17 days and she almost loses her chance to graduate.

Hannah has a tough journey ahead of her. But she takes anti-depressants, drags herself back to school, and learns to smile again. In the end she's the only one in Burstein's group who dares to see beyond the horizon. She doesn't just want to be on the winning team or get into Notre Dame. She wants to become a filmmaker and she wants to get out of Indiana. San Francisco State is her goal. Her parents reunite on camera to be surprisingly mean. They won't support her and her mother tries to scare her about being "alone in a big city."

Mitch takes up with her. He's never met her but always been attracted to her. A Heartthrob can choose whom he pleases. Opposites attract. Maybe she completes him. They have a little whirl. But when she accompanies him to Megan's house with all the popular kids, it's a disaster. Like the male in Neil LaBute's play Fat Pig, Mitch dumps Hannah because no matter how happy they are together, and they evidently are, peer pressure tells him she won't do. But Hannah survives that and goes to San Francisco planning to work for a year till she becomes a California resident and can hope to pay the fees of SF State. Hannah is a brave and determined soul and a free spirit and for my money, the coolest kid in American Teen. I'm rooting for Hannah. She could live to make an American Teen of her own--a richer, more comprehensive, less packaged one. Please don't tell me this documentary is funnier than Napoleon Dynamite or wittier than Juno. It's not. And when it comes to dissecting and recombining the categories, it can't beat Freaks and Geeks. But it has one big advantage. These kids are, more or less, taken directly from real life. This is the winning mainstream documentary of the summer of 2008.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 08-03-2008 at 01:42 AM.

It would be instructive to watch this on a triple-bill with the great Fred Wiseman's High School (1968) and High School II (1994).

What is the position of the director with regards to the material? Do the filmmakers express an opinion or interpretation of the material in any way other than editing and montage? Is there a voice-over? Does the film reveal the reason(s) why the topic is of particular interest to the filmmakers? Does the film reveal the filmmakers ' biases? Was she "princess", "rebel", neither?

Good questions to which I have no answers. The voiceovers are all the voices of the five kids. I have never seen the Wisemans. As I said, her interest is in the stereotypes and how they get twisted or deviated from. You will see it no doubt and find out more. I have not read any reviews of it, interviews, or background material, just based this on what I observed in the film itself. Though it's a bit too slick and pat and focused on cliche as well as on a mid-western bland milieu, it is somehow a classic statement because it goes into reasonable depth about each of its subjects and collectively they provide a panorama of American kids that a lot of us can relate to. My thought was though, that I was not the type people thought I was, or that I was, in fact, unclassifiable.

That is what somebody who knew me a long time told me about 10 or 12 years out of high school and I've always thought it was the greatest compliment you could get.

My curiosity is satisfied because I am mostly interested in whether the answers to my questions would be found in the film itself.

After reading your review, I thought that possibly this film could serve as a corrective to the numerous non-fiction, "TV reality shows" about teens which seem mostly interested in kids when they are violent, overtly sexual, or transgress norms in one way or another.

I'm glad your curiosity is satisfied but I hope that doesn't mean you aren't going to see the film.

In various interviews I've now looked up, Burstain says a series of films called Seventeen "made in the early '80s and shot in Muncie, Indiana " that she saw later when they were shown on PBS while she was in film school (Tisch, NYU) inspired her because if their honesty and the openness of the kids who were in small midwestern schools and encountered special problems such as interracial marriage. In her interview with Onion AV Club :
    I was looking for kids from different social classes and different social cliques that would surprise me, that seemed like they were one way on the surface but were in fact another, and that all had strong storylines. They all had to achieve something that year.
    She narrowed it down, if you can call it that, to ten schools in three states and then interviewed all the kids. She chose ten kids in the Warsaw high school, and then narrowed them down to five. Her skill is in simultaneously following the five kids in some depth and, of course, they were chosen to be interesting and varied and to have lives that would continue to be eventful throughout the year.

She doesn't say if she was one type more than the other in high school. In a second interview, Burstein says:
    I grew up watching movies such as FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH and THE BREAKFAST CLUB. Those films had a profound affect on me back then because I could so relate to the portrayal of adolescence and all of its challenges. For the last fifteen years, I have wanted to explore those same themes in a nonfiction film but with all of the complexities and depth of real people that are often lacking in the teen fictional movies.
    Perhaps other influences on AMERICAN TEEN that should be taken into consideration are Burstein's previous documentaries, ON THE ROPES and THE KID STAYS IN THE PICTURE. But there's much more to it than that. Emmanuel Levy's commentary and interview gives more of the context of how the film was made and the aims she had going into the process. She lived in Warsaw, Indiana and shot at the high school every school day for the entire year (2006). At intimate times she shot alone--or refrained from shooting, if necesary. In another
    interview on Artist Direct, Burstein says she's still in touch with Hannah about her filmmaking aspirations:
    Yeah. She’s in film school right outside of New York City, so I’ve gotten to see her a lot since high school and talked to her. She either wants to be a director or an editor and she’s absolutely loving film school. She’s really happy.
    I thought it would work out like that. She seems really motivated and independent in the film.

I'm not familiar with TV reality shows focussed on teenagers who "are violent, overtly sexual, or transgress norms in one way or another." I don't think this is designed as a corrective to anything, but it is definitely not about those kinds of kids. These are nice kids. The only one you might not want to give a big hug to is Megan. And you come to understand and sympathize with her.
    I did have to go in front of the school board and pitch it, and describe what the experience would be like. First of all, I wasn't looking to make a film that was like "Look how crazy our teenagers are today. They're wild with sex and drugs!" I held to that promise, because it really wasn't an issue in this town.
    --AV Club interview. The school board wouldn't have agreed to let her film for a year if she'd been in search of sensationalism. She also had to find schools that were enthusiastic about the filming. Warsaw's Vice Principal was a former drama teacher who became Burstein's greatest chamption, and since it was a small town and a small school with not a lot going on culturally, it was seen by the school more as a valuable experience. The kids were aware of reality TV shows with teenagers and were wary that this might be like those. But they are happy--even Megan--with the way they are depicted.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 08-03-2008 at 05:08 PM.

Thanks for the information. I will watch the film. Currently my main interest is in non-fiction films that have a reflexive component (in which the filmmaker and/or subject question the methodology, structure, viability, content,etc. within the confines of the actual film) and non-fiction films that deal with issues of representation. To make an analogy, documentaries in which the wrapper is not of the discardable, see-through kind one ignores to get to the candy (content). Why? Because I'm contemplating writing an essay about this type of film for school.

Good luck with your project. I have to watch things as they become available for screenings. This one may be around for a while in theaters though. I missed Surfwise but just watched it. In contrast to American Teen this documentary about the surfing family is unsatisfying technically and hard to follow, but the material is too interesting to miss.

What would be notable examples of the type of documentary you're meaning to write about, in your opinion?
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 08-04-2008 at 12:04 PM.

Thanks. Project is merely at the "idea stage" at the moment. Some films under consideration:

Luc Moullet's ANATOMY OF A RELATIONSHIP and ANALYSIS OF A MEAL
    Ross McElwee's SHERMAN'S MARCH and BRIGHT LEAVES
    Kiarostami's CLOSE-UP
    Francoise Romand's MIX-UP
    Welles' F FOR FAKE and FILMING OTHELLO (If I can find it)
    Jim McBride's DAVID HOLZMAN'S DIARY
    Shirley Clarke's THE CONNECTION
    Deborah Hoffman's COMPLAINTS OF A DUTIFUL DAUGHTER
    Peter Watkins's LA COMMUNE (PARIS, 1871)

They're Not So Bad After All

AMERICAN TEEN
    Written and Directed by Nanette Burstein

Jake Tusing: My life sucks right now but what if it’s even worse after high school? I’m afraid of what’s going to happen to me.

I always just assume, as I’m dragging my tired ass out of bed, into the shower, out the door, into the subway and up the 22 flights of stairs to my tiny box my boss calls a cubicle that any teenager I pass has no clue about anything at all. I know I’m selling them short but I always see them just standing there, talking about nothing at all and making sure everyone around them can hear what they have to say. They’re texting each other and shoving each other and making out obnoxiously up against me on the bus. They annoy me but this is primarily because I wish I had it as easy as they do. The irony is that they do have it so easy but they think they’re going through the hardest part of their lives, that once they get out of high school, everything will work out in their favour. There’s a reason people are always urging young people not to grow up too soon, y’know.

I expected terror. I expected anxiety. I didn’t expect these things from the kids in Nanette Burstein’s documentary, AMERICAN TEEN, but rather from myself while having to sit through an in-depth exploration of what it means to be a teenager in middle America these days. I got neither. Instead, I felt sympathy, connection and nostalgia. The promotional material for this Sundance winner for Best Direction in a Documentary suggests that the five teenagers who make up the main subjects follow in the stereotypical footsteps of THE BREAKFAST CLUB. There’s Hannah, the rebel (who is really more of an artist than a rebel), Colin, the jock (who defies all preconceived notions of what it means to be a jock), Megan, the princess (who delights in drama and the suffering of others), Jake, the geek (who naturally plays video games and is in the school band) and Mitch, the heartthrob (who barely leaves an impression on the viewer like the others). The reality is that AMERICAN TEEN is actually a much more tender and understanding exploration of the insecurities that lie behind the images. All five of these kids turned into characters grow more into themselves before our eyes.

Burstein followed these five kids and a good number of their friends for the entire 2006 scholastic year at Warsaw Community High School. They had troubles with their parents, with their friends, with where they would go to college and with what the prom theme would be, to name but a few of the daily dramas in their lives. As one would expect from a teenager, they believe the world revolves around them and that their problems are monumental in comparison with anyone else’s. What struck me most though is that their problems are not really that different than my problems or those of my friends. Now I haven’t been a teenager for many a year but I still struggle with finding a partner, with finding myself. I still wonder where my life will lead, where I fit in. With responsibilities like bills, rent, a job, staying fit and keeping up with Jones’, I don’t have time to let the drama consume me. These five and the millions of others just like them define themselves by their dramas as they don’t know the fragility of life yet. Still, their subtle self-questioning, their longing to belong and their hope for their futures gives me a whole other kind of hope for the future of humanity.

AMERICAN TEEN is an enjoyable, refreshing documentary that will inevitably play differently to all who see it, as everyone had a different adolescent experience. Some have moved on while others still hear the echoes of torment or thrill in their minds. I know I was just as lost as they were at their age but I’m pretty sure I wasn’t as loud or vindictive - and, yes, I am aware of how simply making this statement ages me more than is necessary. Thanks to Burstein’s finely balanced exposition though, when I see a bunch of kids loitering outside my local corner store, I won’t focus solely on the loudness with which they ponder which Jonas brother is the hottest but rather remember the confusion that lives inside them and still lives somewhere within me.

Black Sheep Reviews
    http://www.blacksheepreviews.com
    I have no idea what I'm doing but incompetence has never prevented me from plunging in with enthusiasm.
    - Woody Allen

Great review, Chris. I can't quite tell if you truly enjoyed it as you chalk it up to be a pleasant documentary for mainstream audiences as if you feel yourself separate from that particular group. I like my movies slightly on the cuff but I do like proper packaging and this film certainly has that. I like how you referred to it as too perfect at times, cutting to the animation and what not. Also, I too couldn't help but notice how little focus was placed on studies.

I came across an IMDB posting, supposedly from one of the students in that graduating class who claims the film is a big lie. I wonder how much truth there is in that.
    I have no idea what I'm doing but incompetence has never prevented me from plunging in with enthusiasm.
    - Woody Allen

No, mouton, and welcome back, by the way, I loved this film, and with no sense of detachment from some "inferior" less-sophisticaed-than-me "mainstream" audience(s) it was "made for." Are documentaries really "mainstream" anyway? Till Michael Moore, maybe not.

There's a lot of competition in the documentary field just lately--Bigger, Stronger, Faster; Constantine's Sword; Gonzo: The Life and Work of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson; Operation Filmmaker; Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired; Taxi to the Dark Side, Chris and Don: a Love Story; To the Limit (German) and above all Man on Wire. Also interesting though flawed were Standard Operating Procedure, Shine a Light, Surfwise, and Up the Yangtze. I'm sure there are others I haven't seen but released in the US in the past few months. But to me, American Teen was one of the most engaging.

It's safe now to say American Teen failed at the box office. Consider this evidence:
    Total b.o. on Saturday, Aug. 2 at 39 theaters: $72,294
    Total b.o. on Saturday, Aug. 9 at 76 theaters: $56,100

The American teens who live in my house agree with my contention that the lack of interest has a lot to do with the high quantity and variety of non-fiction and pseudo non-fiction about teenagers available on television, especially cable channels like MTV. My favorite of these is simply called "Made". It's an hour-long program about teens who strive to change from one particular type of clique/activity to a completely different one. Like the "tomboy" who wants to be "prom queen", or the "jock" who wants to make it into the school's debate team.

So I was wrong, if I predicted a hit. I usually am. That's not my forte, and to tell the truth I don't really give a damn about box office anyway....

Be that as it may, I still like American Teen. I thought you said the TV ones were too extreme. Maybe it was the kids in American Teen who thought that and were leery of appearing in the doc for that reason. I don't have cable.

Oh well, I'm glad we had a bit of discussion, and got some hits for it.