Thread: Art Gallery of Ontario

Hybrid View

Some other artworks that I took note of at the AGO:

- a stunning bronze statue by Giovanni Battista Foggini called "Perseus Slaying Medusa"

-Degas' "Woman at her bath" is beautiful. I stared at it for a while.

-Kiki Smith's "Self Portrait" made me think, shocked me and reinforced the notion that disturbing things can sometimes be mute-exalted works of art. Look up that photo online. It's powerful. (Made with gelatin and silver)

-Luigi Bazzani's 1917 "Arch of Septimus Severus" was cool to look at

- Otto Dix' 1922 "Portrait of Dr. Heinrich Stadelman" freaked me out

- Waterhouse's 1915 "I am Half-Sick of Shadows" (said the Lady of Shallott) commands you to look at it. It's just amazing to see up close and in person. The details are dreamy...

-Roberto Matta's 1939 "Psychological Morphology" will morph your mind into appreciating the use of color in bold new ways. (It's also a painting that's very psychedelic, kinda like Dali, so if you go in to look at a Matta, some pharmaceuticals might help the experience...)

and of course, these names of simply gorgeous ART by William Holman Hunt:

-"Isabella and the Pot of Basil" (1866)- jaw-dropping!
    -"Il Dolce far Niente" (1859)
    -"Bianca" (1869)- gotta see that one. It's so detailed, with Bianca holding a lute...
    -"The Birthday (of Edith Holman Hunt)" (1868)
    -"Portrait of a Lady"( Mrs. George Waugh) (1868)
    -"The Flight of Madeline and Porphyro during the drunkeness attending the revelry (The Eve of St. Agnes) (Mouthful, huh? 1848)
    -"Valentine Rescuing Sylvia from Proteus" (1850)
    -"Claudio and Isabella" (1853)
    -"The Long Engagement" (1859)
    -"Peace Concluded" (1856)
    -"The Awakening Conscience" (1853)- this one is featured on the cover of one of the deluxe books on Hunt in the gift shop, one I'll be buying on a future visit to the gallery.
    Last edited by Johann; 03-24-2009 at 03:44 PM.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd