Thread: Yo, DJ.....HIT ME!!

Threaded View

I've been doing more research on the Black Flag saga, and I've learned that Ron Reyes said "Greg threatened my family" with regards to Ron's departure from the band. That's a pretty serious allegation, yet Ron doesn't or didn't elaborate on what it means.
    What do you mean Greg "threatened your family", Ron?
    Explain this! You should write your own book of your experiences with Black Flag Ron. You seem to have a lot of stories to tell.
    Mike Vallely says Ron made it clear many times before the Australian tour that he was leaving the band after the tour.
    And that Mike and Greg were merely preventing Ron from quitting onstage again. Apparently Ron said he would book a flight out of Aussie Land ASAP if tensions within the band didn't ease. They took him at his word and did a cowardly pre-emptive strike.

Henry Rollins said that toward the end, Greg told him that he was ruining the band. Henry replied "Why? Because I'm the only one who won't leave?"
    And in no uncertain terms Greg said he didn't like Henry. Henry said it made playing Live interesting, knowing that you aren't liked within your own band, but that at least Greg told him to his face.
    Greg Ginn's thought processes are mysterious.
    I've only really been a Black Flag fan for a little less than a decade and I'm still trying to get a grip on what this band stands for/stood for.

Items like this throw me a curveball:
    - Henry singing "Thirsty & Miserable" & "TV Party" on the first record: Henry wasn't a drinker and was never a partier. Yet he's singing about his brother needing" a ride to the liquor store" and "what do they know about partying? Or anything else??" Greg wrote those songs. Henry did his duty and sang 'em. For the Team. How do I place that information?

-"Your Last Affront"- Instrumental track on THE PROCESS OF WEEDING OUT. Who's last affront? Greg! Who has been affronting you so much that you needed to express it on an instrumental album with no lead singer? I think the answer is obvious.

-Raymond Pettibon. (Greg's brother)
    Greg is still using the Black Flag name and 4 bars logo- on concert posters and his website and it is on the WHAT THE...(2013) album.
    Raymond apparently still has severe rage and contempt for his brother using his artwork for Black Flag. The new album is obviously sporting a cover that Raymond did not create - it was created by Kill City graphics. And rumour has it that Greg is regretting using that album cover idea, as it was Ron Reyes's concept. And Ron and Greg aren't on speaking terms anymore. If Raymond and Greg are not on speaking terms, like most ex-members of Black Flag, what do their parents think about it? I've read that the whole Ginn clan are Geniuses.

I could go on and on with things that don't seem Jake with this band.
    I am still fascinated by the group and always will be. Black Flag is my #2 favorite band.
    "MY WAR" is the greatest song ever written, as Henry Rollins says. The album cover for their second album is also the greatest album cover art I've ever seen. A puppet head with a boxing glove holding a knife against a blue background. That is the most Incredible album cover I've ever seen. Everytime I look at it I get stoked. MY WAR. YOU SAY. THAT YOU'RE MY FRIEND. BUT YOU'RE ONE OF THEM. I think I'll get a tattoo of that image to go with my 4 bars....

I know I'm alone in the woods discussing this band, as no one here seems to know anything about the group or why they are fascinating.
    Maybe someone will join who likes hardcore punk music and we can wax poetic about Black Flag and what it all means.
    Maybe it means nothing.
    Maybe it means everything.
    Last edited by Johann; 04-03-2014 at 10:13 PM.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd