Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Yo, DJ.....HIT ME!!

I bought a ticket to see WEEN on July 29th at Kool Haus. Can't wait. Will post about it.
    Love those guys.
    I'm hoping to maybe smoke a J with Gene or Dean afterwards...here's hoping!
    :)
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Boognish Bliss

My head was blown clean off my shoulders last Thursay night (July 29/2010).
    I saw the Mighty WEEN do a mind-bending show at the Kool Haus.

I've never seen them live and I was told by a longtime fan after the show that that was the best show he'd ever seen them do (and he'd been to 16 of their concerts!)
    No opening act.
    It was all WEEN, and what they did was both EPIC and SOUL-SHAKING.

I knew Dean Ween was a great guitar player from the CD's I have but I was not prepared for the sonic onslaught he delivered that night.
    Very few electric guitarists are compared to Jimi Hendrix seriously: Stevie Ray Vaughn, for one. But Dean Ween is a man who can unequivocably be compared to the Mighty Jimi.
    (and Deaner was born just a couple days after Jimi died. Coincidence? Ween's manager told me that via a recent e-mail)
    The psychedelic sounds he pulled from his guitar were proof positive that Dean has the Jimi-style chops. I even said to myself that Jimi himself would've nodded in approval. Dean was all over the fretboard, all over the strings- he flew it at us just like Jimi did- a fearless, courageous musician who MEANT IT.

WEEN are the best band you've never heard of.
    They've been around for quite a while and have quite a fan following, but they are largely an unknown Mega Music Force to be reckoned with.
    I only got into them seriously about 4 years ago, and none of my friends like them or have even heard of them.
    All I gotta say is go to youtube after you've smoked a chonger or drank a six pack of 9% beer and type in the following songs:

1. Booze me up and get me high (Live in Chicago 2003)
    2. Ocean Man (my fave track from their Masterpiece album "THE MOLLUSK")
    3. MY OWN BARE HANDS- another fave track of mine from "LA CUCARACHA"--it's just sheer awesome power, with Dean barking the lyrics out like Lemmy from Motorhead.
    4. Piss Up a Rope- the best country break-up song ever (brace yourself- it's loaded with expletives and nasty sentiments)
    5. All of My Love (Zeppelin cover= Gene Ween sings close to Robert Plant- Live in Chicago 2003)

I just realized that this list could become a 700+ song screed (if you include bootlegs, and you MUST lol)

They did a cover of David Bowie's "LET'S DANCE" and for the encore did a brilliant version of "OHIO" by Neil Young.
    Blew my head clean off.
    It was exactly what a Live show should be- teeming with energy and power.
    They had a good time up there (no wonder- those songs are so great to listen to that I imagine playing them would be NIRVANA). Some big balloons somehow got tossed around the audience and ended up on stage a few times, with Dean asking "what is this, the Flaming Lips?? what's with the balloons?"
    They also did a great punk-rock type track that I'd only heard for the first time that night: "DR. ROCK"- just kick-your-ass-AWESOME.

What can I say? I was blown away by that band and I'm a die-hard WEEN fan now.
    I was just a casual fan before, but now my fanboy allegiance is ironclad for the Boognish

LINK TO PHOTOS:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...7&id=622980066

BOOZE ME UP AND GET ME HIGH
    (why don't you give it a try?)
    Last edited by Johann; 06-22-2011 at 01:14 PM.

PUBLIC ENEMY have a brand-new single out, to be included on the much-anticipated box set from these rap Legends.

It's another revolutionary anthem, with the imitable Chuck D. rhymin' as hard as usual (who I had the ultimate honor of seeing live in person last year and get his autograph- I got pics to prove it).

Song's called "SAY IT LIKE IT REALLY IS"

I'd link to it but the URL is too long. but here's youtube:

www.youtube.com.

Just type it in. And then start pumpin' your angry fist...
    Last edited by Johann; 06-22-2011 at 01:16 PM.

The White Stripes are no more

Thank you Jack and Meg White.
    Somewhat sad news today.

Now that you are no longer a band, I want to thank you for your amazing music and art.
    I had the priviledge to see you both Live at the 2007 Bluesfest in Ottawa Canada and will take that show to the grave.
    (and your Canadian tour album & film were Incredible gifts to the world (and Canada especially).

Many many thanks from a fan.

Robert Plant and the BAND OF JOY

The kick-off to the 2011 Ottawa Jazzfest was Incredible last night.
    I had the historic honor of seeing the frontman for Led Zeppelin and his Band of Joy deliver some of the sweetest music ever made.
    And I didn't pay a dime.

No, I didn't hop any fences or scale any walls to see the Golden God. I just stood on the Mackenzie King bridge, with about 200 others, looking down on the open-air stage in Confederation Park. It was Glorious.
    An unknown band opened the show at 8PM, and by quarter after nine the Band of Joy began their set with a sensuous bluegrass version of Zep's Black Dog. Incredible. Everybody there was pumped up. I admit I'm not familiar with Band of Joy's songs or new album. I only knew "Angel Dance", a staple on classic rock radio these days. Angel Dance was the third song of their set. Mr. Plant spoke to the crowd after the song:
    Good people of Ottawa! It's great to be back! Giant roar from the crowd.

He looked like a million bucks. Black satin shirt with intricate purple designs, long blonde locks (STILL!) and he can still sway and move like a jellyfish in the sea. I noticed some ladies getting all hot and bothered at Plant's visage. Not Bad Robert! You can still make the ladies moist. HA HA

And by Zeus, his voice is still as powerful and rich as it ever was. A guy in his sixties turned to me and said "Do you hear that voice?!!?! it's still as great as the records!" I said "I know, I know". Plant's oh-so-familiar vocals soared over the ottawa night sky, which, I must add was absolutely perfect for the show. We had the most ominous black clouds hanging in the sky to the north. Everybody was bracing for a downpour at any time. But amazingly, the clouds kept moving briskly East, and the sky broke with white clouds during the set. Thunder "thundered" and rumbled a few times, we had little flickers of lightning in the sky, with someone shouting "the opening act!!" at the weather.
    And we had no rain.
    Until..
    the set was over, the whole band takes a bow and Plant said "Good night! A Beautiful Evening! Keep in touch!"
    The crowd got REAL loud for an encore, and then they came back out to the stage.
    GALLOWS POLE blew our minds. People went apeshit when that song began. It was EPIC.
    And guess what happens just after the song begins?
    The rain POURED like a mofo.
    The old guy beside me said "I can get soaked for that man".

They only did the one song for an encore. But it was all we needed.
    Robert said "That's All, GOODNIGHT!"
    and the exodus of peeps heading home began.
    Glad I was there to see a Rock Icon in the flesh. It was beautiful.
    Last edited by Johann; 07-01-2011 at 12:35 PM.

The setlist:

Black Dog (Led Zeppelin)
    Down To The Sea
    Angel Dance (Los Lobos cover)
    What Is and What Should Never Be (Led Zeppelin)
    House of Cards (Linda and Richard Thompson cover)
    Somewhere Trouble Don't Go (Buddy Miller cover)
    Monkey
    A Satisfied Mind (Porter Wagoner cover)
    Satan Your Kingdom Must Come Down (Uncle Tupelo cover)
    Ocean of Tears (Patti Griffin cover)
    Black Country Woman
    In The Mood
    Please Read The Letter (Page & Plant cover)

Encore:
    Gallows Pole (Led Zeppelin)

Ottawa Bluesfest report

The 2011 Ottawa Bluesfest had serious acts/artists on the lineup, and I caught a few.
    I didn't want to post anything about it until the fest was over. It was a great festival with a truly freakish accident of an end.
    On the last night of the festival (Sunday) a massive storm just swept in like a tornado and the main stage just collapsed.
    But there were no casualties. It could have been much worse, but everyone got out alive.
    Cheap Trick had just finished their song "I Want You To Want Me" when the stage was evacuated by stagehands and power was cut.
    Within seconds of everyone getting off the stage, it came down like a house of cards.
    3 people got banged up, but all 3 are out of hospital. (One was the driver for Cheap Trick)

I was at Lebreton Flats for 10 of the 14 days of the festival, and I bought two day passes (one to see Buddy Guy and one for the Tea Party).
    I support this festival 100%. It's something extremely positive for the city, and it really has transformed the formerly barren and apocalyptic Lebreton Flats. City Hall can actually be praised for how the Lebreton Flats redevelopment turned out. It's a nice area now.
    With the Canadian War Museum and the river right there...sunsets are nice. Also nice are the pathways for biking and walking. And without naming other cities, the people on the bike paths in Ottawa are WAY more polite. Trust me. Not naming names, but some cities have rude mofos on bike/walk/rollerblade paths. Nice guys may finish last, but rude motherfuckers can go straight to hell. Where they can bask in it.
    And even though this Bluesfest rocks in lots of ways, I must also give a heads up to anyone planning to visit Ottawa for the festival in the future.
    There are some downsides, including RUDE people. (like I endured for the Tea Party show- will explain)

Food and drinks are too expensive. But, like multiplexes, that's how they make their money. Not on the music/merch. On the concessions.
    On the alcohol. Everyone knows this, so if you want to get sloshed, bring a wallet of cash or drink a mickey at home before you head to the festival. Saves you money and you'll probably be more sloshed, Mang. LOL
    It's a festival of music! Who hates them? Drink up!
    As Ice Cube rapped on his Masterpiece I AM THE WEST:
    DRINK RESPONSIBLY. OR DRINK CONSTANTLY. BE WHO YOU WANNA BE. IN THIS ECONOMY.

The Buddy Guy show was probably the best thing I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot of amazing concerts.
    The Doors (Ray & Robby), The Cult, Slayer, Van Morrison, Dylan, D.O.A., Henry Rollins, Metallica, the Stooges, Ween, Dwight Yoakam, Tragically Hip, Roger Waters, The White Stripes, Paul McCartney, etc etc.

Buddy Guy was better than all of them.

His guitar playing is fantastic for a man in his 70's.
    The solos...Great God Almighty those solos..especially the one on "I'm 74 Years Young"- listen to that and tell me that that solo doesn't melt your face off.
    He introduced it by saying "I'm 74 fuckin' years young!!!!
    The crowd was in awe and in the palm of his hand for the whole night.
    At one point Buddy said "I hate to go...I could play all night!"
    Last edited by Johann; 07-20-2011 at 12:01 PM.

Buddy Guy was on the Subway stage (yes, this festival is no different from any other- corporate to the MAX) and halfway through his set he introduced a 12-year old kid named Quinn Sullivan.

And would you believe that this kid can do Buddy's solos? Jimi Hendrix's solos? Eric Clapton's solos?
    We all witnessed him do it.
    Our jaws dropped watching this KID- a 12 year-old KID- shred like a BEAST.
    Buddy jammed with him for a bit and then he gave up and tossed his hands in the air and smiled and walked away, shaking his head, as if to say
    "Forget it, this kid is too much...he's from Mars..."

Between a song Buddy introduced him, saying that Quinn was 7 when he started playing guitar to Buddy's CD's.
    7 years old!
    Then he said "Watch this kid...when I was 12, I could barely play the radio! When Hendrix went to England, that's when he started to go for the sound effects with his guitar. That's when he was REALLY hot....now watch this kid......"

and then Quinn did the riffage for Voodoo Child (Slight Return). We all were like: "HOLY DOGSHIT....."
    It was amazing. I'll see if I can find a good youtube clip..
    I took some photos for each show and I'll post a link when I have 'em ready.

Another heads-up: I know festivals are festivals and many people like to "smoke up" at the shows.
    But one thing that annoys the living hell out of me is seeing really young kids exposed to it in such vast quantity.
    And even worse, smoking it themselves. I saw it, and I was angry at their parents. Where are they/were they?
    I would never light up a J in front of a kid.
    Maybe my OWN kid, but only if it's in the garage and he's 17 years old...
    The Tea Party show and the Buddy Guy shows were literal smoke-fests. Weed was everywhere.
    The only time I smoked AT a show was the Doors- and security was on my ass in a minute.
    I would never even BRING it to a show for fear of having it taken, being charged, missing the concert I paid a lot of cash to see, etc etc.
    A whole host of reasons. So yeah, I'd suggest considering this aspect of the festival circuit seriously before you go.
    I saw GRANDMOTHERS wincing and choking at the Tea Party show at the amount of ganja smoke in the air.
    It was embarrassing, and I wasn't even smokin' the shit. THIS WILL NOT STAND, MAN.... LOL

The Tea Party are a Canadian group that I used to despise. When they first came out (1993) I was livid that someone could rip off Jim Morrison's look and style and mannerisms so totally. But I've since become a fan. Jeff Martin can sing, he can write good songs, and yes, his stage presence is dark and "poetic" like Morrison and his guitar playing style is very similar to Jimmy Page. Jimmy Page is a friend of his- he has the man's phone number and has been to his home in Los Angeles many times- it's public record- and Mr. Page actually taught Jeff how to use the bow and how to master the double-necked electric guitar. He got personal lessons. So if having Jimmy Page as a teacher still doesn't impress you, then consider that the man can play over 40 different instruments- from around the world. Everything from a Sitar to a Sarod. Jim Morrison could barely play the maracas...
    The way I came around to the Tea Party was "If they're taking cues from Zeppelin and the Doors, how fucking terrible is that? Does the music ROCK? Yes. Yes it does. Proof is in the ears..."

They broke up in 2005, and just a few short weeks ago the three members were in a room together for the first time in 6 years.
    You'd never know it from the show they put on. They played hits from THE EDGES OF TWILGHT, SPLENDOR SOLIS, TRANSMISSION, and SEVEN CIRCLES, all solid albums. Well worth your time. These are professional musicians, and I wish their critics would nut up and recognize that fact.
    This band has been called pretentious, fake, a total rip-off, scams, art/crap rock, etc..but none of it sticks.
    3 men. One giant sound. They can bang. I saw them in 2003 at the Commodore Ballroom in Vancouver and they closed their set with "WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE"- a version that in my opinion blew the Gunners away. I'm actually praying for that Live track to be included on a box set sometime in the future..they've gotta have that in their vaults somewhere....

I loved the show they put on. "WE'RE BAAAAAAACK" said Jeff at one point.
    The women outnumbered the men ten to one, easily. They all love that guy Jeff Martin. I'll admit the guy's got a Johnny Depp vibe going on.
    But they love him so much that they become rude bitches.
    I was shoved from side to side to back to front, other people had their drinks spilled on them, elbows in the ribs, all because rude BITCHES, yes, BITCHES, want to jostle to see Jeff Martin a little better or closer. Get real. If you wanted to see him so badly, you would've been front row, hours ago, when the grounds were opened at 6pm!
    But no, you arrive fashionably late, half-drunk, delirious and ditzy at seeing a lead singer, and proceed to become a chick-zilla who elbows all who are in her way.
    There wasn't just one. There was about 3 dozen of these "girls" whose behavior could be accepted at a Bieber concert, but not at a Rock show with Class like this.
    I was hoping Jeff would stop the show and say "Hey! Stop pushing and shoving! We're all here to have a good time..." but alas, not to be. So I went to the east side of the stage until I just couldn't be in the mob anymore. I missed the last 4 songs. I loved the music tho.
    Thumbs up for this years fest, even with all the crappy stuff.
    Last edited by Johann; 07-20-2011 at 12:09 PM.

The other major acts headlining this years' festival were
    John Fogerty I heard him play, but didn't see him- I was at the Museum for the day and I heard his set- he still sounds great.
    Blue Rodeo- very mellow and enchanting set from them- I saw it on the jumbotron.
    Cancer Bats- screamo-shit. Says they are punk rock, but all I heard was screaming
    Billy Talent- crappy kiddy rock to me. Not my style at all.

and the biggest surprise (and were probably better than the Tea Party, now that I think about it) was the group from Indiana that just preceded the Tea Party:
    Reverend Peyton and his BIG DAMN BAND.
    The Rev. Josh Peyton is 30 years old and he plays the best slide guitar I've heard since Daniel Lanois.
    His wife Breezy played a washboard, which she proceeded to light on fire at the end of the set (a la Hendrix) and smash it to pieces on the stage (a la Who). Their sound is "unclassifiable"- a direct quote- but the Reverend said between songs that they are indeed "Country/Blues".
    So there.
    I'll post a link to one of his songs: "Sure Feels Like Rain". It's awesome.

Joe Satriani was due to close the festival, but due to the stage collapse and cancellation, he never got to play.
    Last edited by Johann; 07-20-2011 at 09:47 AM.

I went out Friday night intending to see a movie and then I heard that heavy metal Legends

ANVIL were playing for Juno Award weekend at The Great Canadian Cabin.
    Had to go.
    Can't miss Anvil, Man!
    Fukeneh!

They went on at one in the morning and played only 40 minutes. Opening acts were Monster Truck and Doll, both solid bands.
    I'd never seen Anvil Live, but I have seen the documentary on their story, which is great- BUY IT NOW!
    They only did 4 songs, and METAL ON METAL was the piece de resistance.
    Lots of brews in my belly by the time the band hit the stage, and I was blown away by their sonic onslaught.
    Lips was off the map- all over the stage, an absolute animal.
    And those drums were about as sonically perfect as an inebriated man like myself could hope for.

I bought a tee and their latest CD: JUGGERNAUT OF JUSTICE- WELL WORTH YOUR TIME KIDDIES.......
    :)

I've also bought my ticket to see Henry Rollins speak on June 13th.

Every time I've sent him an e-mail he's replied. He's just really down-to-earth, no-bullshit. He acknowledges fans and answers any question you ask, as long as you're not someone wasting his precious time.

This tour is called THE LONG MARCH TOUR, and I'm in awe of how many shows he does in sucession- his stamina and discipline impress me to no end. He's doing a spoken word show at Dominion-Chalmers church on Cooper street in Ottawa, and if you're in the neighborhood, BE THERE to hear a Great Man tell you things that are good for your head.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhpVtNw7hd4

A little ANVIL for ya.

FUKENEH!

No offence intended, just sheer toe-tapping AWESOMENESS of psychobilly genius:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysNlke8VKN4

The Cockroaches are amazing and they're from Montreal Canada. Trying to find their self-titled CD is almost impossible. I found it for $40.
    I don't know if they are still in existence or what. Their CD is out of print.
    I wish YouTube had the song "Long Blonde Hair", but this'll have to do..

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBGLXVzy4C8

A friend of mine schooled me on psychobilly music, and I'm hooked now.

You want badass music?
    Listen to Mad Sin (German psychobilly band), Tiger Army (w/ Nick 13), The Brains, Guana Batz, Nekromantix (they have a COFFIN bass!), Horrorpops, The Mutilators and the Grand Daddy band of them all,

THE METEORS- the original psychobilly band. There are legions of others, but these are a great start to this bastard child of Carl Perkins.
    Last edited by Johann; 01-23-2013 at 09:49 AM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast