Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Yo, DJ.....HIT ME!!

"Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

And here's the Legendary Wendy O. Williams, getting you up off your knees. You'll Suck. Seed.
    (and check out the Plasmatics if you have a shred of cool in you)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zgdfi9dk7w

An announcement has been made that would, under most circumstances, make me go berzerk with Joy.
    But sadly, I have to condemn it.
    BLACK FLAG, the Iconic hardcore punk band are re-forming this year for one show in August.
    WITHOUT Henry Rollins.

And that my friends, is an Unforgivable Sin. And I'll explain why.

Greg Ginn is the founder and Lead guitarist for Black Flag. He is a musical Genius. That much is not EVER in question.
    However, he has never paid any royalties to any band member. No one.
    I have exchanged e-mails with Henry last year and he replied to me that he doesn't need the money as he's very fortunate with his tours and shows and publishing company. But there are OTHER members of Black Flag who aren't doing so hot and could use some cash.
    Greg Ginn has been referred to as someone who "Only plays Offence, never Defence", and Henry has said many times that Greg Ginn is "Black Flag Incorporated"- I have dropped quite a lot of money into Greg's coffers (SST Records)- I have everything Black Flag ever did- EVERYTHING. They are my second favorite band next to The Doors.
    Greg must have made millions and millions since 1986.
    And he's never thrown any band members a royalty bone. It's astounding.
    Henry told me in an e-mail that Greg is, in legal speak, IN BREACH.

And here Greg is, resurrecting the band that he quit! He called Henry and told him HE was quitting in late '86, something Henry found very odd, as it was Greg's band. Obviously without Greg there is no Black Flag. And there hasn't been a Black Flag band since then.
    They did a reunion show disaster awhile back without Henry. People wanted their money back.
    Ron Reyes will be the singer for the August 2013 gig. I have no problem with Ron, but the best Flag songs (besides first frontman Kieth Morris' days) are with HENRY. That is an ironclad fact. My favorite BF songs are ones with Henry on the mic:
    MY WAR
    BLACK COFFEE
    ANNIHILATE THIS WEEK
    IN MY HEAD
    and on and on...

Henry has said he doesn't want to re-tread the past, but I think that was more out of sheer frustration and embarrassment over Greg Ginn and his Chronic Habits.
    Greg is an asshole.
    I hate to run down one of my Heroes, as Black Flag are an INVINCIBLE band to me, but without paying a SOUL a royalty, Greg sux donkey cock.

And hey, I know the band made no money in the 80's- but since the group broke up, the sales of Black Flag swag and LP's went through the ROOF! And Henry Rollins was the one who made me buy em, just like many many other fans. So Greg is an asshole.
    I wonder what the hell he is doing with this re-forming of the band. Selling more merch?

I disgusts me. The band IS Greg's- he can do whatever he wants. But his Legacy wasn't accomplished without help.
    Think about that before you get jacked up about the TYRANNUSAURUS REX of HARDCORE doing a gig this year....
    Last edited by Johann; 02-12-2013 at 02:17 PM.

NOW I can go berzerk with Joy.

Chuck Dukowski, the original bassist for Black Flag has basically given the middle finger to Greg Ginn, by forming FLAG, with original singer Kieth Morris (the first and best Black Flag vocalist- of the Circle Jerks), Dez Cadena- another BF singer from the Glory days- and drummer Bill Stevenson.

They play Toronto on June 20th at the Opera House. Will I be there? Does the Pope think he's catholic?
    They will be performing Black Flag songs.

Henry Rollins is conspicuously absent, but I understand why.
    He has said he has no happy memories from his Black Flag days and that he does not want to re-tread the past.

I think my soul will explode at the FLAG gig.....I can't believe I'll be seeing 4 original members Live....

One thing I love about Toronto is that all the big bands play here.

The Rolling Stones play here next month (I couldn't get a ticket to save my life), Patti Smith has a "Camera Solo" exhibition at the Art Gallery of Ontario until July (I will not miss that- I wanted a ticket to see her perform Live at the AGO but guess what? SOLD OUT.)
    The Specials play Kool Haus soon (love that group! THIS TOWN IS RUNNIN' LIKE A GHOST TOWN...), Bad Brains play June 13th, and Glenn Danzig will play at Sound Academy- gotta be there for that gig- guitarist DOYLE from the Misfits will join him.

But the show of the year for me is FLAG, with Kieth Morris, Dez Cadena, Bill Stevenson and The DUKE, Chuck Dukowski on bass playing the Immortal songs of Black Flag. I already have my ticket, and I got it a week before they went on sale. First on the stack! number 0000001!
    You say you're a Black Flag fan?
    Well I got the first ticket, Bitch.
    You're not as big a fan as me.
    Sad that there's no Henry Rollins on the mic, but I know exactly why. It's no mystery.
    And Greg Ginn?
    He alienated everyone in the punk world.
    It's astounding.
    Greg....your Genius Legend Status has taken a Massive hit.
    But you probably don't care, right?
    Last edited by Johann; 04-19-2013 at 11:23 AM.

FLAG at NXNE

I had the incredible honor of seeing heroes of mine play immortal hardcore music at the Opera House in Toronto for NXNE.
    FLAG, Chuck Dukowski's touring version of Black Flag (minus co-founder Greg Ginn) played for 1 hour and destroyed all comers.
    Stephen Egerton and Bill Stevenson from the Descendents (and Bill was Black Flag's drummer for a while) joined Dez Cadena and Chuck and original frontman Keith Morris to deliver an Epic setlist of classic Flag tunes. I was in heaven, it was just sheer nirvana.

The crowd was a mixed bag, with youngsters and old "vets" who saw these guys in their prime. One 50+ guy in particular made himself look like a total jackass by telling Keith to "stop talking" the first time he spoke to the crowd. I'm surprised Keith didn't kick him in the face.
    The guy was a drunk, greasy old punk. I hope he wasn't from Toronto. He made us look bad.
    Keith was talking about Hermosa Beach, and how there isn't much cool to do there except surf and look at girls in bikinis when that idiot shouted "stop talking!" Keith looked at him and said "What?" The guy shouted again: "stop talking!"
    Keith just said "OK, I'll just take my mic and go. I'll listen to you..." Fuck what an idiot he was.
    The "fans" who stage-dived were morons. I couldn't believe they got up onstage (repeatedly) and stage-dived, bumping into Stephen as he played, no compass, drunk on their asses- one of them, he looked like a 16-year old muslim with a hand-made Black Flag tee and red headband, got up multiple times and bumped into Chuck like a total moron- at one point Keith singled him out- "HEY YOU! with the red headband! You don't have to get up here and manhandle Chuck!" What does the kid do? He climbs up onstage and hugs Chuck! Chuck just shrugged at Keith. Amazing. Chuck did some bass noodling and Keith tells him to stop: "You can do your bass solo later..."

Bill was on a riser, behind his impressive Yamaha drumkit. He was like the Rock of Gibraltar. Precision and Perfection on drums. The Ultimate Anchor Man.
    Hearing those songs Live was almost too much for me. It was like I'd died and gone to heaven. No joke.
    They played all the "hits", if you can call them "hits":
    Revenge, Padded Cell (sung by Dez), My War, Jealous Again, Clocked In, Fix Me, Wasted, Gimme Gimme Gimme, Rise Above, Police Story (also sung by Dez, he dedicated it to "the guy at the border", American Waste, No More, Thirsty & Miserable, No Values, Six Pack, Louie Louie and for the encore they did two:
    DAMAGED I- Incredible to hear that one and even more incredible to hear I LOVE YOU from the My War Lp- I was very surprised that they chose that one. Keith said before they started the encore that they intended to play those 2 songs as the crowd were filing out of the venue, but it was clear that no one was gonna leave until FLAG were off the stage for good.

I took photos (they'll be up on Facebook sometime soon) and I got my Rise Above CD sleeve signed by Chuck- he wrote "MY LIFE IS THEIR DISEASE. AIN'T NO PHASE" (Henry Rollins and THE DUKE have signed my CD sleeve!!!) and I also got a photo and chatted with Dez outside before their van took off for Montebello Quebec. He's a big NY Giants fan and loves baseball.
    They played with Marilyn Manson and Alice Cooper at Montebello and Dez told me to listen to ALice's radio show- "He plays some great stuff on his show!"

If Dez Cadena tells me to listen to Alice Cooper's radio show, I will abide by that.
    Last edited by Johann; 06-17-2013 at 04:19 PM.

I love these posts of yours, such vivid descriptions and such passion for (real good) music. I wonder, Johann, as a fan of the group as well as other bands that recorded for SST such as Descendents and Minutemen, if I would miss Greg Ginn, his guitar playing in particular, which is to my ears reminiscent of the great Johnny Thunders (RIP).

Thanks Oscar.

Greg Ginn wasn't even missed. It seems incredible, but Stephen Egerton played the songs exactly like Greg- I couldn't tell the difference.
    He played those (iconic) riffs perfectly. (on a CLEAR see-through guitar- an Armstrong guitar like Greg's? I'm not sure...)
    I met Chuck & Dez after the show- I was dying to meet Keith Morris but he just vanished after the gigs. He seemed very angry that night, so I don't know if he wanted to meet and greet anyone.

I can honestly say I saw Black Flag Live now. Without Henry and without Greg. As Keith said, these songs require people who know them, who've LIVED them, and these guys definitely LIVED them. If only Henry joined them- it would've been the icing on the cake.
    I asked Chuck what inspired him to do this tour and he said "STRAUSS". I said "Johann Strauss??" He said "Yep." and his Father-in-Law, who is apparently in his 90's and dives without a snorkel or tank. I thought that was cool.
    I also asked him about Henry Rollins, and how he has no happy memories from his Black Flag days.
    Chuck smiled and said "THAT'S A LIE. HE HAS SOME HAPPY MEMORIES".
    Last edited by Johann; 06-22-2013 at 02:11 PM.

Have you heard Johnny Thunders' version of Elvis' "CRAWFISH"? I love that song.

And I also love "I was Born to Cry". There is also a film I've been looking for forever: BORN TO LOSE.

I don't think I'd heard it before. Just did. Very cool. Who knows when BORN TO LOSE will be available for viewing. The director made another documentary on punk rock titled D.O.A. way back when, which I have seen and would be thrilled to have a chance to see again.

Yes- I've seen D.O.A. I think it's from 1980 or around abouts. GREAT doc.

And also at NXNE they screened a new documentary film chronicling the Descendents, called FILMAGE: The Story of the Descendents/All.
    I couldn't get out to see it. It played only one night. And so did the Rolling Stones film Charlie Is My Darling, which apparently has rare footage from 1965 in Ireland and includes the first professional concert film of the band. I know you are Stones fan, so you might wanna earmark that one.
    I still haven't seen WE JAM ECONO either, the doc on the Minutemen.
    OR Dave Markey's MY CAREER AS A JERK- the doc on the Circle Jerks.

Dave and Mike Watt are Facebook friends of mine. An Honor to have them as FB friends.
    And guess who accepted my friend request two weeks ago?
    TONY FUNCHES, the personal security man for Jim Morrison! I was amazed he was on FB. He lives in Denver and always has cool things to say/post.
    Last edited by Johann; 10-16-2013 at 07:15 AM.

Greg Ginn has launched a lawsuit against FLAG (and Henry Rollins) for copyright infringement.
    It's amazing. Truly stunning.

Greg says that there may be some "confusion" for consumers, in that FLAG is a facsimile of Black Flag, which Greg says he owns all rights to.
    I have an e-mail from Henry himself telling me that Greg has been (in legal speak) "IN BREACH" for years and years for not paying anybody a single royalty on Black Flag merch or SST records sold.

I can't wait to see Greg "GREEDY" Ginn get his ass handed to him. It's been a long time coming.

I had the incredible once-in-a-lifetime experience to meet John Densmore this past weekend at Sunrise Records.
    He was signing copies of his new book The Doors: Unhinged (which is a sobering read on greed).

I waited almost 3 hours to get in to see him, and it was Awesome. He signed my book and my L.A. Woman CD.
    I asked him what would be the first thing he'd say to Jim if he walked into the room:

John replied Look at all this chaos you caused!!

Awesome news: GREG GINN lost his lawsuit against Black Flag.

A judge has ruled that the registration of the Black Flag name/logo by Henry Rollins and Keith Morris was "made in good faith", as the band had neglected to nurture the property rights for almost 30 years.

Greg Ginn cannot stop members of FLAG (Keith, Dez, Chuck, Bill & Stephen) from performing Live.
    I love it.
    Henry Rollins testified that he never actually quit the band, (which he didn't!), and I hope Greg Ginn can take a loss for once.
    He believes he IS Black Flag.
    True fans know that that band is as much Chuck's & Henry's as it is Greg's.
    Chuck Dukowski, if you wanna get really technical, was the heart and soul of the band.

www.nme.com/news/black-flag/73160

Another article on the Black Flag lawsuit:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,4793900.story

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast