Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Yo, DJ.....HIT ME!!

Hybrid View

I bought a ticket to see WEEN on July 29th at Kool Haus. Can't wait. Will post about it.
    Love those guys.
    I'm hoping to maybe smoke a J with Gene or Dean afterwards...here's hoping!
    :)
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Boognish Bliss

My head was blown clean off my shoulders last Thursay night (July 29/2010).
    I saw the Mighty WEEN do a mind-bending show at the Kool Haus.

I've never seen them live and I was told by a longtime fan after the show that that was the best show he'd ever seen them do (and he'd been to 16 of their concerts!)
    No opening act.
    It was all WEEN, and what they did was both EPIC and SOUL-SHAKING.

I knew Dean Ween was a great guitar player from the CD's I have but I was not prepared for the sonic onslaught he delivered that night.
    Very few electric guitarists are compared to Jimi Hendrix seriously: Stevie Ray Vaughn, for one. But Dean Ween is a man who can unequivocably be compared to the Mighty Jimi.
    (and Deaner was born just a couple days after Jimi died. Coincidence? Ween's manager told me that via a recent e-mail)
    The psychedelic sounds he pulled from his guitar were proof positive that Dean has the Jimi-style chops. I even said to myself that Jimi himself would've nodded in approval. Dean was all over the fretboard, all over the strings- he flew it at us just like Jimi did- a fearless, courageous musician who MEANT IT.

WEEN are the best band you've never heard of.
    They've been around for quite a while and have quite a fan following, but they are largely an unknown Mega Music Force to be reckoned with.
    I only got into them seriously about 4 years ago, and none of my friends like them or have even heard of them.
    All I gotta say is go to youtube after you've smoked a chonger or drank a six pack of 9% beer and type in the following songs:

1. Booze me up and get me high (Live in Chicago 2003)
    2. Ocean Man (my fave track from their Masterpiece album "THE MOLLUSK")
    3. MY OWN BARE HANDS- another fave track of mine from "LA CUCARACHA"--it's just sheer awesome power, with Dean barking the lyrics out like Lemmy from Motorhead.
    4. Piss Up a Rope- the best country break-up song ever (brace yourself- it's loaded with expletives and nasty sentiments)
    5. All of My Love (Zeppelin cover= Gene Ween sings close to Robert Plant- Live in Chicago 2003)

I just realized that this list could become a 700+ song screed (if you include bootlegs, and you MUST lol)

They did a cover of David Bowie's "LET'S DANCE" and for the encore did a brilliant version of "OHIO" by Neil Young.
    Blew my head clean off.
    It was exactly what a Live show should be- teeming with energy and power.
    They had a good time up there (no wonder- those songs are so great to listen to that I imagine playing them would be NIRVANA). Some big balloons somehow got tossed around the audience and ended up on stage a few times, with Dean asking "what is this, the Flaming Lips?? what's with the balloons?"
    They also did a great punk-rock type track that I'd only heard for the first time that night: "DR. ROCK"- just kick-your-ass-AWESOME.

What can I say? I was blown away by that band and I'm a die-hard WEEN fan now.
    I was just a casual fan before, but now my fanboy allegiance is ironclad for the Boognish

LINK TO PHOTOS:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...7&id=622980066

BOOZE ME UP AND GET ME HIGH
    (why don't you give it a try?)
    Last edited by Johann; 06-22-2011 at 01:14 PM.

PUBLIC ENEMY have a brand-new single out, to be included on the much-anticipated box set from these rap Legends.

It's another revolutionary anthem, with the imitable Chuck D. rhymin' as hard as usual (who I had the ultimate honor of seeing live in person last year and get his autograph- I got pics to prove it).

Song's called "SAY IT LIKE IT REALLY IS"

I'd link to it but the URL is too long. but here's youtube:

www.youtube.com.

Just type it in. And then start pumpin' your angry fist...
    Last edited by Johann; 06-22-2011 at 01:16 PM.

The White Stripes are no more

Thank you Jack and Meg White.
    Somewhat sad news today.

Now that you are no longer a band, I want to thank you for your amazing music and art.
    I had the priviledge to see you both Live at the 2007 Bluesfest in Ottawa Canada and will take that show to the grave.
    (and your Canadian tour album & film were Incredible gifts to the world (and Canada especially).

Many many thanks from a fan.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123