Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Otoko-tachi no Yamato (2005)

Otoko-tachi no Yamato (2005)

YAMATO

This "60th Anniversary of the Yamato's sinking" film is very beautiful and very compelling to me. I loved watching every minute. I was told about this film (and another one that I've been recommended to check out: Rengo Kentai), which dramatizes the story of the biggest battleship ever built (by the Imperial Jap Navy): the Yamato.

"Yamato" is the Ancient Japanese poetic word for "Japan", so that name is not taken lightly by Japanese people. Indeed, today the legend of the Yamato is massive in Japan, with a gorgeous museum in Kure dedicated to the Supership, and young Japanese idolize it with a space cartoon that elevates the Yamato to a ship amongst the stars. It was an illegal battleship, and Japan broke a treaty with it's construction. The Japanese didn't play fair in that war...
    It was just about as long as the Titanic and no battleship has ever matched her in size. From any country. (of course aircraft carriers are bigger, but that's another matter).

The ship was attacked by 600 aircraft during a final suicide mission against the American fleet battling to capture Okinawa and was sunk on April 7, 1945, losing almost all of her 2700 crew members. (2,498 men were lost and the Captain lashed himself to the bridge in his final moments, shouting "I am one with the Yamato")
    The battle scenes in this film have to be seen to be believed.
    They are the whole reason you should watch the film.

Although, my navy history friend says he doesn't understand why the filmmakers wouldn't present the attack exactly as it happened, with an hour and a half in between waves of aircraft- subtitles are there for every other major event in the film, why not one saying "an hour and a half later another wave of aircraft advanced"? which would be a good time to show quick edits of crew members doing repairs, fighting more fires and other tasks that the history books say they did after the attacks. He also doesn't understand why the ship was being hit with way more bombs than it actually was because the authenticity of everything else was immaculate. The uniforms, the training, the scale sets of the ship (which are stunningly blended with realistic CGI), the DISCIPLINE of the Japanese Navy! Wow.
    Those guys weren't sissies by any stretch.
    You fuck up on a Yamato class ship and you seriously suffer, Paco!
    I won't tell you the scenes, you'll just have to watch it.
    Those Japs didn't fuck around.

There are various criticisms of the movie online that I've read and I don't know what to make of them.
    I feel Yamato is an important, classic film that properly honors the to-be-respected Japanese people when it comes to engineering and dedication to fighting a hell of a fight.
    Some shots of that ship are really something in this movie man..
    They convey the size of it quite well, with nice emphasis on it's massive guns.

For military types and war buffs this film is a can't-miss feature.
    It was not released outside of Japan for obvious reasons.
    The Japanese don't want to put too much of a glory spotlight on this particular part of it's WWII history- these battleships were supposed to be secret weapons, and all information about them is available but not widely trumpeted. Nobody wants to see Japanese military chest beating...so it's an under-the-radar Epic war film.
    Directed by Junya Sato
    Excellent Cinematography by Yoshitaka Sakamoto
    Last edited by Johann; 05-26-2009 at 07:03 AM.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

This is a clip from Otto Preminger's In Harm's Way (1965), which has a simulated shot of the Yamato, with cigarette smoking Yank sailors which the Japs would've spotted with their night vision ten miles away, and actual footage of genuine ships (oil tankers?)being torpedoed by U-Boats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q455S9oGPM

There is a fictional novel (alternate history) of the Yamato battleship that is only available in the Japanese language called "Senkan Yamato", published in 2002, where the cover has a painting of the ship grounded in Okinawa (it's original plan for the final battle) and firing at the Americans, casualties on the deck.
    If you understand Japanese and are interested in checking out another (alternate) part of Yamato lore, then go to www.yesasia.com and search Japanese books for "Senkan Yamato". You'll see the listings.
    Last edited by Johann; 05-23-2009 at 03:48 PM.

Did any of you guys know that German U-Boats took photos of New York harbour in 1942?

I'll try to find the footage I saw of it on youtube...

Check this out

If you were wondering why the cameraman doesn't help out when the boat is flooding, it's because he's a "Propaganda Kameraman", a "PK", and he had orders...

Luftwaffe's advance (secret) weapons

Here's a couple links to some interesting items, like the amazing stealth plane Gotha Ho-229. If the war had lasted another 6 months the Germans could've achieved local air support over Germany. And that could've altered the outcome of surrendering in May 1945. This aircraft was to be ready to go Aug./Sept. 1945.

I mention it because there is an alternate history where a German painter made a painting of the Gotha providing air cover for the Yamato! Imagine that. They would've made Okinawa no problem!

That plane was made of plywood and filled with charcoal dust (to reduce radar signature by 58%) and had a slender airfoil just like the B-2 Stealth bomber's got. It's armament was two 30mm cannons.

http://www.aviastar.org/air/germany/horten_ho-9.php

http://www.screenshotworld.com/forum...s&showfile=623*click on the first main image on the page to enlarge!*

http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/hargrave/horten.html

http://www.luft46models.com/manufact...o229/ho229.jpg

http://www.luft46.com/horten/hox.html

and my favorite painting of it: (Luft46.com has the best Masterpiece paintings of German secret advanced Air Force weaponry). Ahead of it's time, wasn't it?

http://www.luft46.com/mrart/mr229-1.jpg
    Last edited by Johann; 05-27-2009 at 06:09 AM.

You like that stuff? Take a look at this

And check out this insane plane:

http://www.greyfalcon.us/Sanger.htm
    Last edited by Johann; 05-26-2009 at 05:40 PM.

And this bad boy would've been ready by the end of '45

http://www.truveo.com/TRIEBFLUGEL/id/430317923

TRIEBFLUGEL means "Tri" or "tri-flight"
    Last edited by Johann; 05-27-2009 at 12:52 PM.

Playstation Yamato?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TheaRMubVxk

She defeats the attacking American air force, then reaches Okinawa to engage the American invasion fleet!

It's pretty awesome to my eyes...
    Last edited by Johann; 05-26-2009 at 05:59 PM.

SUPERSONIC! powered by coal dust explosions! MACH 2!

In the Kreigsmarine footage I posted, of significant note is the way the German sailors salute. It's a Naval salute. They didn't do no Hitler "Seig Heil" salute. Ever.

And did you know that Hitler thought the Bismarck was "underarmed"?

Tell that to the Hood.

And Captain Hardegen was a Captain with humanity.
    He always picked up the survivors from ships he sunk.
    He survived the war and has had a long life. Heavily awarded man, even by the United States!
    He had the balls to tell Hitler to stop building tanks and to build more U-Boats.
    Hitler couldn't believe it.
    He's still alive, the salty old bastard!

*the German Navy was NEVER prosecuted for war crimes. They always made efforts to pick up survivors, unlike the Japanese, who were really HATED. The Japs machine gunned survivors*
    Last edited by Johann; 05-28-2009 at 09:48 AM.

I read your review and subsequent posts with great interest. I wouldn't call myself a "military type" or a war buff but I'm interested in history and I enjoy spectacle. I'm convinced YAMATO provides plenty of both. So it goes on my list of films to watch with my promise to post again when I do that.

Awesome. Hope you do.
    You will LOVE Yamato.
    The cinematography will impress you very much.
    And the battle scenes...forget about it.
    You won't believe your eyes.
    Better than Saving Private Ryan perhaps?
    Interested in how you like it.
    Although I'm not sure how you can locate it in the States.
    Netflix have it?

Also, the sound on the DVD-R copy I have is in dolby digital.
    I paid three bucks for it in chinatown.
    It's an exact rip from the original DVD.
    It even has the bonus features.
    $3!
    The battle scenes are unreal in surround sound.
    It's really too bad none of us across the pacific got to see it on the big screen.
    Last edited by Johann; 05-27-2009 at 05:19 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast