Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: THE LIMITS OF CONTROL (Jim Jarmusch 2009)

THE LIMITS OF CONTROL (Jim Jarmusch 2009)

JARMUSCH SHOOTING IN SPAIN WITH DE BANKOLÉ AND GARCIA BERNAL
    (Photo by Teresa Isasi-Isasmend, NYTimes).

Jim Jarmusch: The Limits of Control (2009)

Review by Chris Knipp

The limits of cool

This time Jarmusch has made a thriller-cum- fairy tale whose suave hitman hero slays a gangster dragon with the string of an historic guitar. A succession of short scenes, enigmatic steps toward the goal, evokes many worlds of cinema from Cocteau to Orson Welles, with a finale out of David Lynch, but it's all Jarmusch, the style as consistent, sui generis and alive as ever. And he's working at the top of his game. This is a brilliant, virtuosic piece of Jarmuschism, the best thing he's done since Dead Man.

The heading above is not snide but admiring. To stretch to cool's outer reaches yet stay within them is an fine feat. Jarmusch came to fruition in the New York hipster world and remains true to it. This movie really is so hip it makes your teeth hurt. But it's a good hurt.

Jarmusch has reveled in comic dialogue, right up to his last, Broken Flowers. But this movie having a stony-faced and enigmatic hero who speaks in monosyllables, the director's attention has shifted to the visual. Like Woody, he's also moved to the photogenic Old World, setting the action in Spain. For images that sing, he's sensibly hired the great cinematographer Christopher Doyle to man the camera. Limits is a feast for the eye. Where the director's first films were in black and white, this time the message hinges on subtle and lovely shifts in tint.

The title refers to the finale, where a gangland boss (Bill Murray), who might as easily be a Bush era Neocon, finds his periphery penetrated. "How the f--- did you get in here?" the man demands. And protag Isaach De Bankole' replies, "I used my imagination."

Control that's pushed but never lost is embodied in the tight-lipped hitman (Bankole'), billed in the script as "Lone Man." His mission is a mystery, maybe even to him. He moves in a sphere of stoical nihilism, and his rituals are strict. It's as if Jarmusch had finessed Beckett, reincarnating the tramp in a form that's fit and elegant and moves through a revolving series of momentary sidekicks. They're recognizable actors who arrive in character, perform the ritual as guides, then spin off riffs that link with one another. In the end Lone Man finds his Godot: he kills the king. His sense of order spins outward from the body. Periodically, even in an airport toilet stall in the opening scene, he shapes the air with razor-sharp gestures in his own brand of highly symmetrical, angular Tai Chi. His frame is all tight triangles sheathed in well-cut silk suits, one in a new color for each new locale. Madrid gets shiny blue and Seville dull tan.

De Bankole's recurring Sphinx-like visage orders every successive scene. He's a samurai, like Ghost Dog or Delon in Melville's film. He doesn't sleep, lying awake through the night, and never eats -- except bits of paper and a slice of pear, and refuses sex saying "not when I'm working." He doesn't shed the suit appropriate to each locale till his train approaches the next. He always has his two espressos served to him in two separate cups.

He doesn't smoke or drink alcohol -- or talk to any strangers (as he sits sipping his espressos) who don't begin with the code question, "Usted no habla espanol, verdad?" ("You don't speak Spanish, right?"). He answers no; then two little matchboxes are exchanged. Once one has diamonds in it for a naked woman (Paz de la Huerta) but usually they have a piece of paper with something written on it for him, letters and numbers Lone Man reads and then swallows, washed down with the coffee.

Mixed in with their chitchat the folks with the new matchboxes deliver philosophical messages, e.g., "The man who thinks he knows the world will be taken to the cemetary and then he'll learn what the truth is." This comes in various languages, including literary Arabic. Another refrain: "La vida no vale nada," "Life is worth nothing," which is painted like a slogan on the Mexican ex-con's tow truck (Gael Garcia Bernal).

Another truck driver is Hiam Abass, who could be driving Isaach De Bankole' across Israeli territory, or to the outskirts of hell.

What's it all mean? Jarmusch's movies are stylish shaggy-dog put-ons, but also hilarious and magical, sometimes (often in Dead Man) both at once. Here the rage for order vies with a rage for beauty. Doyle's photography makes a train's red doors glorious. He films a rambling Seville flat to evoke Wong Kar Wai's Buenos Aires. Lone Man visits the Reina Sofía museum of contemporary art in Madrid -- each time to admire a single painting (a very good idea; too bad so few follow it), seeking in vain the secrets of the universe. For diversion, there are the people with the matchboxes. A Brit (John Hurt) complains about bohemians. A dame (Tilda Swinton) in blonde wig and raincoat (like Brigitte Lin in Chungking Express) refers to Orson Welles' Lady from Shanghai and says she likes it when people just sit in movies and don't talk.

Despite the rage for order, everything is unexpected. Swinton, with her transparent parasol, reappears in a movie poster -- and an old one. Paz de la Huerta turns up repeatedly, naked, except for glasses and a pistol, in Lone Man's flat. If Lone Man knows where his road leads, we don't. The flat's front door opens and closes with a satisfying thud and click. Like the cinematography, the sound design (by Drew Kunin) is important and masterful this time. "Conceptual Japanese noise-rock" by the group Boris surges throughout the movie like Neil Young's in Dead Man, creating a special environment and intensifying the action, and Jarmusch has confessed music is a major inspiration for his films. An intense dialogue with Christopher Doyle was an important new element in the creative process. Ultimately this film is quintessentially cinematic, a tight blend of story, image, and sound.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 01-03-2010 at 11:43 PM.

Your review captures a lot that's within this movie Chris.

Besides having the trademark Jarmusch authorial stamp, the cinematography is some of the best your eyes will ever witness, by the Amazing Christopher Doyle. Doyle and Jarmusch are a divine pairing.
    Your mentioning of the glorious red train doors is just one example of the great cinematic standards that Jarmusch has.
    His camera is exactly where he wants it, and it's usually a wonderful POV.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Thanks.

The thing about a film that's in a way almost pure style (though it's very far from being meaningless: see Howard Schumann's excellentreview in Cinescene today) is that you can enjoy watching it as often as you like, and you can pick it up at any point and savor those elements of sound and astute POV and lovely Chris Doyle image.

Yes indeed, this type of moviemaking never goes out of style.
    You can definitely watch it over and over.
    Without a doubt you're right Chris: this film is his best since Dead Man.
    I got a very Ghost Dog/Samurai vibe from it as well and what can I say? You like fucking films?
    Really?
    You LOVE cinematography?
    Really?
    Then this film should be one that ranks very high on your scale of standards in cinematic excellence.
    Films like The Limits of Control are the films you dream about existing. Period.
    Evocative, tragically hip, and achingly gorgeous, this is one for the film history books. I'm seeeing it yet again (this time at Carlton- they switched theatres. It had a very short run at Cumberland).

I think I lost my answer to this. I was saying the release here is weird because they started it for the whole SF Bay Area at a second-run house nobody much goes to, with zero publicity, and the first showing had four people at it. I do not understand why according to Metacritic it rates a horrible 40, but Hoberman is very favorable, and he knows what he's talking about.

Yes, it definitely has a Ghost Dog tie-in, but this is better, much better really.

I've been blabbering on about "controlled uncertainty" in other posts but this one is the zenith of controlled uncertainty.
    I think a main reason for critics not liking it so much (I've read 4 reviews that don't have too much praise for it) is that the ending seems somewhat conventional. I think the critics are hoping for more of a payoff after sitting through all of the interesting "waiting" and what-not. Myself, I was just in love with the whole experience of it, with what Jarmusch does as a filmmaker.
    I just love his style man.
    That's the bottom line here.
    Viewers who want their cake and eat it too might be disappointed but I was not. Not for one second of both screenings.
    It's glorious.
    First-rate filmmaking and creativity.
    What a team Jarmusch assembles!
    And they all deliver.
    They all do their part, which is, being part of a timeless movie that is so cool and esoterically hip that it destroys.

Stanley Kubrick wasn't influenced by any other directors.
    He basically had no attachment to "fellow film directors".
    He was very aware of them, but he didn't necessarily want collaborators in the telling of the story (although it's impossible to do in the film medium), he wanted no one to emulate except maybe Max Ophuls.
    Jarmusch is the exact same way. (His emulator might be Ozu?)
    They both acknowledge other filmmakers (and love some films very very much) but ultimately they stand on their own, with visions and stories that cannot be put into a box.
    The Limits of Control is a real feast for the cinephile.
    I actually feel bad that I can't rattle off all of the references to other films or film history that I know are all over this picture.

I have such a grand feeling over Jarmusch's latest.
    He's absolutely in the prime zone here.
    (Not that he never wasn't). This one's got quite a bit more juice than his previous films that is extremely satisfying to this viewer.
    Last edited by Johann; 06-09-2009 at 08:22 AM.

At the two screenings I went to there was hardly anybody there either. Just a handful of peeps. I'm guessing they were the die-hards, the hipsters or film buffs who knew they had to get their ass to a theatre.
    Carlton has a bigger profile and is right downtown, so it should have a good run now.

Hoberman, whose review I recommend and who gets The Limits of Control thoroughly right, thinks Jarmusch hits perfection once a decade: thus, Stranger Than Paradise, Dead Man, and this. Other reviewers just don't get it. Chicago Reader's Jones sees only "an assortment of two-person rap sessions." For him Lone Man is "a stylish cool cat," full stop. As you anticipate, Jones too is disappointed in the finale: "the movie's main pleasure lies in the early scenes." You're probably right then that the ending for some viewers may feel like it lacks a payoff. They miss the fact that in much art, to use John Barth's famous line from Chimera, "The key to the treasure is the treasure." Lone Man's journey is the key and the treasure.

The initial poorly attended screening at an obscure venue is all part of some sort of marketing strategy, perhaps, designed to titillate the conoscenti. In NYC The Limits of Control is showing at the Angelika Film Center, one of the city's best-attended art house cineplexes, though not the poshest. The Landmark chain (though Angelika isn't part of that) is whowing the movie, should mean that it will come out in multiple locations in Northern California -- San Francisco, Berkeley, and down on the Peninsula. In Baltimore it's showing now at The Charles, the city's best art house.

The bad reviews will have an unfortunate effect, though, and are sad to contemplate. In the circumstances one must rejoice in the good ones. My sister who lives in Baltimore has referred me in the recent past to some very good movie writing in the town's City Paper, and it's got an astute piece by Steve Erikson about Jarmusch's new masterpiece: "It's proven to be extremely divisive, but like David Lynch's Inland Empire and Jarmusch's own Dead Man, the negative reactions testify to the shock that innovative cinema can produce. "
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 06-09-2009 at 12:48 PM.

Jarmusch takes seemingly unimportant things and charges them with an otherworldly relevance. Just walking or looking at someone has weight in his films. He doesn't do anything willy-nilly. The consciousness of his films really grabs me and excites me.
    It's hard to explain. Within the first few minutes you feel something profoundly interesting yet profoundly unknown is going down. Let him lead you...
    Great movies engage you, keep you watching until the end, preferably making you a better person afterwards, either with insights you never thought of or knew, or just plain old faith in the human race because there's a filmmaker out there who can get it on and bang a gong. With an impressive Artistic integrity.

To me there is nothing better than wicked images and wicked music melded in union. Jarmusch has got that special touch when it comes to selecting the right music to match the right image.
    He's got it down cold.
    Other filmmakers should drop a knee to the man.
    He's got some mojo that most would kill to have.
    And he's uncompromising about it.
    Forgive me for not talking about the film directly right now (I'll post my full "review" after I see it again this week) but something larger is going on with Jarmusch.
    And it's beautiful.
    Here's a man who is forging eye-grabbing, beautiful, timeless films from the heart. So precious few of those types nowadays.
    His stand before the world seems to be: I'm an individual cinematic outlaw, one you can love or leave. How can any intelligent person (who has a healthy distaste for the mainstream) not stand in Jarmusch's corner and shout COMPROMISE IS FOR SUCKERS. AM I CREATING OR CONFORMING?
    YOU. TELL. ME.
    Last edited by Johann; 06-09-2009 at 01:23 PM.

I absolutely agree. When I first walked into a theater and watched Stranger Than Paradise I was instantly on the edge of my seat. Indeed something new and special was going down. Every little detail counted and you couldn't look away for a millisecond. Right from then on he had absolute control and created an utterly brilliant new feel. Nothing like it had quite ever come before. I can remember the sheer thrill and fun of that first Jarmusch experience. He has done it again now. Not a repetition though, of course; but he hasn't lost those qualities you allude to.

You can conjure endlessly with the title, The Limits of Control. He was once able to work brilliantly with cheap black and white and virtual unknown hipster pals, but now he makes something equally tight and riveting and unique with famous actors on location in glamorous European settings (never conventional though) and the best cameraman in the business.

Somehow you can do the job at times, Johann, without even writing a conventional review. You capture the feel of Jarmusch's accomplishment better than I do:
    He's got it down cold.
    Other filmmakers should drop a knee to the man.
    He's got some mojo that most would kill to have.
    And he's uncompromising about it.
    The Toronto librarians are pouring over those words even as we speak.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 06-09-2009 at 01:42 PM.

Images that sing.
    That's it right there Chris.
    Doyle's camerawork is ALIVE, it's bursting at the seams with living pulses.
    Through the whole film.
    You're right about being able to watch this film at any point and be engaged immediately. How many films can do that?
    Pin you to your seat or lock your eyeballs into never looking away?
    That's the kind of thing that separates a film MAKER with a film ARTIST. Jarmusch is an Artist. All the way.
    He may be a hipster, but he's an ARTIST hipster.
    He can deny it all he wants.
    Neil Young admits he's an artist Jim!
    So should you!

I feel like listening to some Screaming Jay now.
    I Put a Spell on You

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JibSQCk3tW4
    Last edited by Johann; 06-10-2009 at 06:09 AM.

Jarmusch link you might like.
    The man himself with Harvey Keitel discussing smoking, coffee, sex. Along with Lou Reed and other New Yorkers.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FANQBrCg8vw

Thanks, interesting. Yes, I'd get scared in Sweden too. But I gave up smoking a good while ago. Jarmusch is a funny guy.

Screamin' Jay Hawkins was one of Jarmusch's discoveries for me who was stranger than fiction. Or Paradise.

Screamin' Jay is Awesome.
    Love that guy.
    Loved him in Jarmusch's Mystery Train.
    (He worked the desk at the hotel).

Jim would be a very cool cat to talk to.
    He has an awesome sense of humour to go with his bullet cool.
    He's the total package, man.
    Bulletproof.
    Can't knock him for NUTHIN'

Yeah, I know he was the Mystery Train clerk. His music seemed almost too good to be true. Like Jarmusch thought him up. Mystery Train was how I learned about his existence. Jarmusch from those YouTube videos clearly is a guy who expresses himself in a forthright and accessible manner. He's quite down to earth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast