Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Luminato Reel

The Luminato Reel

Produced in association with ONF/NFB, The Luminato Reel is labelled "A film festival within the Festival".
    "Luminato" is a festival of arts + creativity that is in full swing in Toronto every year at this time.
    This is my first time at Luminato, and I went to the NFB mediatheque to see a film, REDBALL Project. I enjoyed it, but some of the "personalities" in the film go a little overboard in their worship of the red ball in question. It's an "interactive visual art project" that has multiple "meanings" to each person who views it.

The filmmaker/artist (Kurt Perschke) gives us insight into how he designed the huge inflated red ball, what he sees in the balls' representation/purpose, and how he revels in the balls' success as a large urban art oddity that everybody has an opinion on in Chicago, where the ball was inflated, installed, deflated and removed to another location, again and again, and people loved it in the city. Big hit. People of all types had an opinion of it if they crossed paths with it. Some follow & take note of the balls' location all over the city, wherever it goes, because it heightens that particular locales' profile.
    It's created a cult of "Red Ball Followers", from kids to punks (some nice punk music thrown on at one point for effect), to curmudgeons to dogs, the red ball is quite the phenom in Chicago. It is squeezed between buildings, landmarks or just any old structure they decide to place it near, in, or on.

It's in Toronto now and I'm sure people are taking notice.
    Mr. Perschke was at the Hard Rock Cafe last Saturday to talk about his project with other speakers. I was too late to get over there. (And it was free- quite a few events at Luminato are free. It's just a matter of getting your butt to the venues).
    Last edited by Johann; 06-08-2009 at 10:10 AM.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Just got back from an amazing gallery showcasing gorgeous paintings by Raphael Mazzucco at Burroughes Building (639 Queen St. West)

It's running until June 14th and I'll be back to take some photos.
    I talked to the host who was kind enough to give me a press kit.
    Here's an excerpt:

Raphael Mazzucco is one of the world's leading fashion and celebrity photographers. In a career that has taken him from his native Vancouver to Milan, Paris and New York, his work has graced the pages of Vogue, GQ, and Marie Claire to name a few. Now Luminato, in partnership with L'Oreal Professionel and Lancome are bringing famed Canadian fashion photographer Raphael Mazzucco back to his native soil with a free cutting-edge mixed-media art installation. Among the highlights of the exhibition are two never-before-seen pieces specially commissioned by L'Oreal and Lancome. These works, created by Raphael and featuring FashionTelevision reporter Mary Kitchen are inspired by L'Oreal Professionel 's CENTURY OF COLOUR and Lancome's NEW ERA OF FEMININITY

Yes indeed Mazzucco's paintings strike me right between the eyes with their originality, bold colors, passionate vibes, and STYLE.

I love paintings like his, which incorporate actual photographic prints embedded into the canvas, flashy strokes of color, quotes inscribed onto the canvas, wild and beautiful juxtaposition of assorted elements give the overall impression of sheer ART.

You want to come back as soon as you leave, and that to me is the litmus test. Galleries like the one on the 3rd floor of the Burroughes building on Queen Street West are ones I like to haunt. A heritage building with the old old staircase, creaking stairs and all. Great trip to see some Art today.
    A film was shown in the gallery that documented Mazzucco's work on the two new commissioned pieces that are up for auction at the end of Luminato.
    12 paintings on display, 12 Masterpieces in my humble.
    I'll be back with my camera in hand...
    The Artist was there, but he had just stepped out just before I arrived, so I never got to ask him any questions. Next time.
    Tomorrow I'll post the names and descriptions (as best as I can do with text- yikes) of each painting.
    Black Beauty was my favorite.
    Last edited by Johann; 06-08-2009 at 08:32 AM.

RAIN- (commissioned by L'Oreal)
    on wood, oil paint (w x h) 96" x 48"

Beautiful canvas. Colors are amazing. (colors are amazing on every painting- no joke). It has an image of Mary Kitchen.
    Quotes embedded?
    These moments are like water from the clouds
    Tears drain away through two tear openings in the corner of the eye
    Tear ducts empty tears on the surface of the eye
    Last edited by Johann; 06-08-2009 at 08:34 AM.

BEAUTY TROIS (commissioned by Lancome)
    photographic print, resin, oil paint 96" x 48"

Just gorgeous (again with an image of Mary Kitchen).
    Both canvases will be auctioned.
    Both are brand-new works from Mazzucco.

New Mexico- one of my favorites (top 5 for sure).
    Just astounding art. I'd love to have it hang in my home.
    The photos he juxtaposes...some have flames, exotic locales, fantasy women, beaches...it's wonderful to gaze at.
    Most artsy-fartsy galleries and showcases display the work of an egomaniac who calls himself an "Artist". Not so at all with this man. Proud to learn he's Canadian. (But he's a World-man).

Underwater- just stunning.
    Splash- just stunning.
    Africa- astounding piece. Anybody with an eye would admit that. Simply gorgeous. What I'm gonna try to do with this thread is post links to a roll of photos that I'll take of these 12 paintings.
    I'll "make it so" somehow. You have to see these paintings.
    It's rare to see them all in one place, so I have to pass it on.
    Life- another one that stuns with it's beauty and colors.
    It could be tied with "Black Beauty" for my favorite. I wish I could describe them better, but you'll see for yourself when I get the links up. This one has Indian headress feathers embedded.
    Orange- as you can imagine, bold use of "citrus" colors on this one.
    Indian Girl- mysterious painting, haunting almost. Beautiful.
    Jackie- another unknown, mysterious female subjetc. Love it.
    Gisele- another *Huge 68" x 80"! Almost 8 foot canvas* of a female subject, and this one has sand melded into the frame
    Galapagos- a dreamy, luxurious painting that I also wouldn't mind hanging in my home. Just stupendous images and color..
    A Day and a Life- this is the first one that grabs your eye in the gallery, as it's the first one you see to your right as you enter.
    Has cloth melded to it, a rainbow of colors are all over the canvas. Just extremely appealing art Mr. Mazzucco creates.
    All very very special and great museum pieces.
    I'm prone to call them all Masterpieces, but you can decide for yourself when I post the links.
    A great Canadian Artist who deserves to be noticed and appreciated. Grateful I got to see the Artworks in person.

BLACK BEAUTY- The Greatest piece he has in the collection in my humble, I just stood and marvelled at "Black Beauty" The colors just appealed to me so much. I really appreciate how this man uses color. He knows what the right color in the right place can evoke. It's amazing. Black Beauty is 50" x 60" and I don't even want to describe it. You are just supposed to admire it.

mroF (it's a huge part of Art)

Metallic
    Chemical
    Composition
    Last edited by Johann; 06-08-2009 at 08:43 AM.

unrelated but still cool...

Here's a short clip of the C.N. Tower getting hit with lightning.
    I was told the tower is hit over a hundred times a year but I've never seen it. Looked it up on youtube and found this.

By the way, the tower is made of 130,000 tons of concrete, which was all mixed on-site in the mid-70's when it was built.
    From base to skypod took only 4 months to construct.
    I look up at the tower about 20 times a day.
    It's a beautiful structure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCm2UCj6eDU&feature=fvw
    Last edited by Johann; 06-08-2009 at 11:18 AM.

I'm heading over to the Burroughes Gallery shortly to get my pics of his paintings.
    Did some more research on this man Raphael Mazzucco, and I hope he's there so I can get him to take a snap of me with my disposable Kodak. HA HA!
    He's an astounding Artist. Every video I've seen of his work and photographs is just amazing. AMAZING EYE he's got.
    He's photographed Legendary actors and celebrities, he's living his life like a work of fine art itself.
    As soon as I can get those photos up the better!
    everybody here will like them I think.
    I just gotta figure out how to get them all in one place, on one page...

Mission accomplished. But Mazzucco was not at the gallery.
    His rep there said he was last at the gallery on Monday but doesn't know if he'll be back before the 14th.

No matter tho, as I got a photo of each painting.
    I still have about 12 photos left on this roll, so it may be a couple weeks before I post 'em here.
    But I will. Mark my words.
    Awesome paintings this man has done.
    His rep also told me that it takes about 3 weeks for him to complete a painting and that the sheen on some of them is resin, which takes a while to prepare and apply. Some of them look like they have glass on them but no, it's a resin.
    So there's something.
    Can't wait to see the prints.
    I told his rep "I'll use a flash for every one- I don't know how well lit these are" and he replied "They're lit really well, just get the right angle".
    So that is what I tried to do.
    Links will be forthcoming, I just don't know exactly when.
    Last edited by Johann; 06-10-2009 at 05:56 PM.

Luminato has turned out to be a real revelation for me.
    This festival is awesome, and just 2 weeks ago I was completely oblivious to it.

Today I was downtown to clear up some business and I went over to Yonge and Dundas square (as I do quite a bit).
    Tonight is a special night, and of course I can't be there because of work. A film screening of a 1919 German silent film with Conrad Veidt is playing *FREE* with a live musical accompaniment with 3 bands. Monday was a nice write-off for my Neil Gaiman ticket because of work and now this news. Sucks.

But at least I'm in the city while this festival is going on.
    Saturday I'll be down at the waterfront to see the Cirque de Soleil do their tribute to Toronto. I've heard rumblings that it'll be very cool to see. And tomorrow I'll go to the Ryerson campus to see this REDBALL that's so famous. I got a *round* brochure from the info kiosk and of course today was the ball's day off...
    So gotta go tomorrow and see how they place it, get a photo.
    I'll probably post the whole roll here. Why not?
    I got a sweet Harley photo, Hard Rock Cafe pics, a Maroon Lamboughini (never seen one up close before- had to take it quick- the driver was at a stoplight. It'll be a rear shot. I walked to the front of the car but that's when the light changed.
    Last edited by Johann; 06-11-2009 at 05:07 PM.

I was walking on Yonge street yesterday and spotted a Converse shoe display in a window. They had bands on them- Slayer, Iron Maiden, the Doors and others. I wanted to see the Doors sneaks up close.

So I go in and there are two different Doors designs on the Doors sneakers and I asked the Asian lady clerk if I could take a photo.
    WHY DON'T YOU BUY?!?!
    She says, loudly.
    I say "I might buy, but I want to take a photo"
    She says "OK".
    So I take a snap of both sneakers- they look awesome but I'd never wear them- they are total collector's items to me. I wouldn't want to dirty up the Doors logo by walking these scummy streets. Plus Converse sneakers don't appear to have any support whatsoever. I've never owned a pair- maybe they are comfortable as hell. I don't know.

They got all kinds of "limited edition" converse sneakers there.
    And they aren't fucking cheap!
    $139.99? That seems a little steep. Too steep for my wallet.
    They even had a Presdent Obama pair!
    His face on the TOP of the sneakers! Not the sides!
    That's a little disrespectful in my opinion.
    Some street kid who's down with Obama might think he's honoring the Prez, but to me it was a little weird.

I walked out of the store without buying anything and I think that Asian lady hates my guts. Hey, there's no law saying you have to buy something everytime you enter a store.
    That reminds me of the time I was in Vancouver and I needed a plastic bag, so I dropped in to one of those ghetto corner stores on Hastings and asked for a bag. (another Asian, an old man worked behind the counter)
    YOU BUY SOME-TING!
    I was like "for a plastic bag?"
    He shouts back: "FIFTY CENT"
    I said "WHAT?!"
    He shouts "YOU TINK IT'S FUCKING FREE?!?!"

I just walked out.
    Owned by a foreigner..
    Last edited by Johann; 06-12-2009 at 06:33 AM.

Photos of Mazzucco's paintings are back from the lab (and my other pics from Luminato), but until I figure out how to post 'em here the only way you can see 'em is by becoming a friend on facebook.

PM me if you wanna take a peek...

Chris, you're Magic.

You just need to make more use of URL's.

Yah, got the pics from the Guild up in the Lounge.
    Wow, modern technology...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast