Originally posted by Johann
I've bet $100 that Michael Moore will NOT win the oscar. For the same reason he made his documentary: America cannot face the truth.
Johann--

This does not represent the Johann I know. BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE was a huge success in my part of the country. Some Americans cannot face the "truth." Others have a hard time with issues such as gun control because of the frustration of dealing with attitudes about the "right to bear arms" that the NRA has thus far successfully managed to engender as "holy writ." But enough people recognized Moore's point, and his effecitve use of film in delivering it, that he did win. Great!

Moore also was unafraid with regards to another issue that clearly shows a divided population. As you could tell if you watched Moore's acceptance speech, there were reactions even in the Academy crowd that showed how polarized Americans currently are about the preemptive war in Iraq. I was thoroughly enjoying what Michael had to say (especially considering that all of the nominees in that category were united behind him) to the point that I did not realize until I saw it replayed that there was both cheering and booing in the audience.

There are Americans, and then there are Americans? I doubt if there is any issue that can definitively characterize us.

Sorry you lost your $100. Was that in Candian funds?