Thread: Where are they now?

Where are they now?

I'm curious to see if anyone knows more about upcoming projects for some of my favorite writers / directors:

Spike Jonze ("Being John Malkovich") - I think he's working on another film with Charlie Kaufman, the writer of "Malkovich". I'm sure it will be just as "wacked out" as the first.

David O. Russell ("Three Kings", "Flirting with Disaster") - I've heard nothing about new projects for him. "Three Kings" was a great movie, and I'd really like to see where he goes from here.

Alexander Payne ("Election") - I think's he responsible for the movie "About Schmidt", starring Jack Nicholson. It ran at Cannes this year, I believe, and should be released in the States this year. I'm looking forward to it. I appreciate Payne's rather dry, straightforward storytelling style.

Wes Anderson ("The Royal Tenenbaums") - Any word on a follow-up project to "Tenenbaums"? Again, interesting to see where he goes from here.

Micheal Bay ("Pearl Harbor") - Just Kidding! I don't care what's he working on right now, I'm sure it'll be mediocre.

Anyone heard anything?

David Cornelius Guest
    Spike Jonze and Alexander Payne have films opening in the next few months. Jonze has "Adaptation," the Kaufman collaboration, and Payne has "About Schmidt," with Jack Nicholson. Both have been getting good buzz. Not sure of the exact release dates.

As for Bay, get ready for next summer's "Bad Boys 2." I'm sure it will have explosions.

Dave

Anderson is working on a new script but this one's being written alone (no Owen Wilson). Owen, Jason Schwartzman and Bill Murray are all expected to have parts in the film. Mark Mothersbaugh is either going to score it or it will be an all-Devo soundtrack.
    P

Thanks for the responses. I still haven't heard or read anything about what David O. Russell's up to, and it's been 3 years since "Three Kings" was released. That was such an original and well-done movie, I would expect something similar or better next time from him...

I'm looking forward to seeing Jack Nicholson in an Alexander Payne movie. I can't imagine that it would disappoint.

It'll be interesting to see a movie written by Wes Anderson alone. I think I remember him saying on the DVD commentary to "Royal Tennenbaums" that he ended up writing more of that movie than Owen Wilson did because of Owen's busy film schedule. It showed, in my opinion. I think Owen keeps the movies grounded a little more. Grounded in reality, I guess I mean, whereas Wes tends to drift into the clouds a little more.

Also, did you know that the kid playing the young Richie Tennebaum (Luke Wilson's character) in "Royal Tennebaums" is John Turturro's son? Take a look, you can really see the similarities. Same mouth and eye expressions, and same mannerisms.