Thread: Avatar 2009

Hybrid View

"THAT"S HOW YOU SCATTER THE ROACHES" -Col. Quaritch

Incredible movie. I waited a retarded amount of time to check Avatar out and it did not disappoint.
    Wow.
    In 3-D it is nothing short of breathtaking.
    I was just bowled over with the gorgeous 3-D renderings.
    The art direction (colors, character/vehicle designs, vegetation, MOONS!, etc.) was just incredible.
    Everything I want in a movie is here, except there are two things that kind of annoyed me (yet are quite forgivable):
    1. It seeems to me that Jake is plucked from nowhere to be the intel hero. Why? Why is he chosen? a crippled marine?
    His mental state hasn't been analyzed enough. It seems like they just picked him out of a hat. Maybe I missed why he's the man for the job.
    2. The Na'Vi accepted him pretty damn fast into their tribe. I had trouble with how they reason.They are extremely primitive, yet their communications and abilities to express themselves is quite developed. I was expecting maybe a little more "caveman" and a little less spiritual/native indian superimposition. But again, quite forgivable. James Cameron has suceeded in telling an interesting story about human folly transposed onto a fantastic forbidden planet.

That giant tree falling towards the end....holy shit. Just like the Titanic, falling to the depths!
    Loved Avatar. I wasn't going to write a review but I had to comment on it. It is an astonishing achievement in motion picture history.
    Everything was aces to me, each sequence was beautiful to behold. I often wondered how Cameron's SFX teams produced such amazing, believable images. The CGI was more believable than the great stuff we saw in the new Star Wars trilogy. Special effects are at a level now that surpass anything in the past. During Avatar I had flashbacks to when I first saw Jurassic Park, and The Phantom Menace. But Jake Sully's Avatar destroys the likes of Jar Jar Binks and Boss Nass. More believable and more interesting.
    Just a fantastic film.
    Avatar deserves all of it's recognition.
    James Cameron has shoved the medium forward.
    Last edited by Johann; 03-31-2010 at 02:32 PM.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd