Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chris knipp's 2009 movie best lists

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately), this one is not available at my local video store which has about every release known to mankind and makes my list of films to see grow exponentially each week. I'm gonna explode.

Ha. I'm afraid it may not get to a US DVD. We'll have to see about that. But his previous film, Drama/Mex, is out on DVD, so that's hopeful.

They do

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Knipp View Post
    Ha. I'm afraid it may not get to a US DVD. We'll have to see about that. But his previous film, Drama/Mex, is out on DVD, so that's hopeful.
    Oops! They do have it - under the title "I'm Going to Explode". - I'll have to add it to my list which has become very long. Do you think I could handle the "jerky camerawork?
    Last edited by Howard Schumann; 01-28-2010 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Add something

Let us know, if you would be so kind, when you find out, who put out this DVD, because I couldn't find it listed online.

E1

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Knipp View Post
    Let us know, if you would be so kind, when you find out, who put out this DVD, because I couldn't find it listed online.
    It was put out by E1 Films of Canada (www.E1films.com) Their website says this:

E1 Films, an Entertainment One company, is a growing presence in Canadian film and fast becoming one of Canada's leading film distributors. The company holds the Canadian distribution rights to a diverse range of titles from Summit Entertainment, IFC, Yari Film Group, Fortissimo Films, Lakeshore Entertainment and Cinetic Media. E1 distributes its filmed product theatrically, on DVD, via television broadcast and online.
    Last edited by Howard Schumann; 01-28-2010 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Misspelling

Jerky

In the film Voy a Explotar, how bad is the hand held jerky camera? Do you think I could handle it?

Yo voy a exlootar

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Schumann View Post
    It was put out by E1 Films of Canada (www.E1films.com) Their website says this:
    So I found it finally for sale on Amazon Canada:

http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_nos...XPLODE&x=0&y=0

though it is partially out of stock. I'm signing up for info on E1 Entertainment releases.

Don't remember the camerawork as "jerky." That's an unnecessary smear by a detractor.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 01-28-2010 at 11:44 AM.

IFC releases on DVD all films they distribute theatrically, which includes I'M GOING TO EXPLODE. It should come out in a couple of months. BTW, the best Mexican film I saw all year is PARQUE VIA. It won the Golden Leopard and FIPRESCI prizes at Locarno but has no distributor.

I attended the press conference for the MIFF today. Campanella's new one, mentioned by Howard, is the Closing Night selection.

Aha, that's good to know. Maybe it's just as cheap used from Amazon.ca now though. The other movie you should tell us about when it becomwes available on a US DVD. It was shown at the Oct. 2008 LFF.

I saw The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus today and was very underwhelmed.
    Despite promising artistic flourishes, it left a me bit cold.
    I was looking very forward to being whisked away on a Terry Gilliam expedition of fine fantasy.
    And I was. Sort of.
    There are some convincing special effects/animations and I loved the costumes of everyone involved.
    There was zero connection with the audience in my humble opinion. The lines just don't connect.Especially Verne Troyer's.
    And as good as Heath Ledger is in this final role, I felt he was still bogged down by the enormity of the role he just finished on The Dark Knight.
    I could hear the Joker's voice through his accent.
    Big thumbs up for production design and colors. It's bright and dazzling that way. But the story just seemed to be pedestrian to me.
    Maybe I need to see it again later, who knows. Maybe it just didn't jazz me up enough as a movie.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

The Imaginarium and Avatar.

Well, it's not on my Best Lists anywhere, so what are you talking about it here for on my Best Lists 2009 thread? It is a somewhat damp and boggy fantasy; I was pleased that it was not as uninvolving or as boring as some reports had led me to believe. The best part was the wandering in and out of the mirror kingdom; the mirror itself. The idea that a tacky fantasy device could really work, be real. I also liked having Johnny Depp, Jude Law, and Colin Farrell all do versions of Heath Ledger and the way the writers worked in explanations for why the character looked different those times; the idea that these hunky cute guys are all sort of interchangeable. Johnny actually did look like Heath at first and so did Jude, but when when Colin came in with his slick features and distinctive moth eyebrows, he didn't fit any more. I don't agree that Heath Ledger still had the sulfurous steam of the Joker rising from his tired flesh; you're reading too much into it. But having the three other hotties dance around his character helps us to see what defined him as a man: he is the most inward-looking and strong and soulful. The others are slick deceivers: he felt more deeply. He was imploding all the time, like his character in Brokeback Mountain, and it ate him up inside. But it made him beautiful and touching.

I liked the boy character Anton played by Andrew Garfield, and now I realize yes, this was the young actor with the long neck born in the US but partly raised in England, so he does a good English accent, and he starred in the excellent English movie Boy A, as well in the not successful preachy Iraq war movie, Lions for Lambs (Rob Redford: stick to Sundance, man). He has a future, that boy, and his enthusiasm is fresh. Christopher Plummer was more than adequate for the role. He's having a rich old age as an actor; I'm looking forward to seeing him ham it up as Tolstoy in The Last Station.
    Big thumbs up for production design and colors. It's bright and dazzling that way. But the story just seemed to be pedestrian to me.
    I agree, only I'm not sure the word is exactly "pedestrian." Too rambling, yes. And the imaginary landscapes were great. To tell the truth, I liked them better than Pandora, James Cameron's "Maxfield Parrish" world as Armond White wittily calls it in his Avatar review, Blue in the Face. Read that and weep.

I mentioned Parnassus here because there's no thread mentioning it (that I've noticed, anyway) and I didn't want to start a whole new thread just for my short expression of being underwhelmed. I didn't mean to take anything away from your "BEST LISTS" work here. My comments are unrelated, uninspired and completely lacking in substance. Disregard if need be. We agree that Dr. Parnassus is a rambler.

In another unrelated note, I'll be seeing AVATAR today finally. Last night was too many people. I exchanged my ticket for today instead.
    But I don't have my hopes up...it's a weekend screening,the film is still doing the wicked biscuits for business.....
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

You took nothing away. My comments re AVATAR don't fit here either.

Just in passing... I looked over cinescene web site, where you and Howard write reviews. Interesting. Good points: You list some great film links (except this site is not mentioned nor IMDB, although they hardly need a link). I like the visual format. The reviews have great depth with collegial level vocabulary not really intended for the general public (unless you actually believe people can actually understand passages like: "...forever tag it by its moment of creation and tangential cultural detritus, rather than its more essential and deep criteria, missing the work’s continuing relevance." Exsqueeze me? Why not simply say the film breaks from the cultural norm of its time?

What I didn't like about cinescene was the inability of anyone to comment on what was written. In this blogosphere, response is nearly as important as the critic, which many of us realize.

Here's a good DVD release site: http://www.dvdverdict.com/ If you click on the upcoming releases tab you will find a plethora of titles that include nearly everything and anything that will be released on DVD (also not mentioned at cinescene)
    Colige suspectos semper habitos

Cinescene

Quote Originally Posted by cinemabon View Post
    "...forever tag it by its moment of creation and tangential cultural detritus, rather than its more essential and deep criteria, missing the work’s continuing relevance." Exsqueeze me?
    Sheesh! Can't image who could have written that.
    What I didn't like about cinescene was the inability of anyone to comment on what was written. In this blogosphere, response is nearly as important as the critic, which many of us realize.
    Keep in mind that the site is run by one individual, Chris Dashiell. He tried a forum at one time but it got very little response, certainly not enough to justify its maintenance.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast