Thread: "Frida" A Major Work From Salma Hayek

Hybrid View

"Frida" A Major Work From Salma Hayek

Frida is a major motion picture, one of the best of the year (2002) describing in both brilliant color and surrealistic imagery the life of Frida Kahlo and Deigo Rivera two major Latino artists of the past century. Richly told, involving, and illicit sex, beautiful paintings, sparkling color, and a tapestry of words and acting that explicitly tells of the heroic triumph of spirit of a Latina. Salma Hayek's inspiration of this movie is a triumph and moving story of betrayal and loyalty, based on real life characters of international importance.

Being the HUGE fan of Taymor that I am, I've seen Frida twice now and plan to see it again. Salma is smokin' in this.
    But the real surprise was Al Molina. Guy should win an oscar.
    Frenchy as a waitress, great mexican songs, Salma nude, what more could you ask for?

Rent Julie's stage show Oedipus Rex- a masterpiece.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

jayjaysaldana Guest

Definately Oscar worthy

I hope this film gets the recognition it deserves. I would love to see this movie receive Oscar nominations in Best Film, Actress, Actor, and Director. The music in the movie should also be recognized. Beautiful movie that can make you laugh and make you cry.

bazarov Guest
    It's hard to believe that this cliched and extremely boring film should reap such high status amongst people, I'm begining to think that all you lack any sense of critical values...

Critical values?

I'm assuming you've read A Will To Power? The history of nihilism is NOT something Nietzsche promoted. He just observed it's political qualities- (i.e politics is the art of controlling your environment)- are you a fan of Nietzsche or not? I really hate it when people don't "get it" when it comes to philosophers.
    Friedrich would only meet you for research, my russian friend.
    The Will to Power was not intended for publication- it was his ever changing notes and progresssions of thought in his final years. But more importantly, it was an EXCERCISE in political observation, and nihilism was a big part of it. You're the kind of person who would cut your nose off to spite your face, huh? The kind of rebellion Nietzsche advocated was pro-active not reactive.
    What cliches are you speaking of? They must be very peripheral, because I found none in the film.
    If you found Frida boring I'm beginning to think you have a limited attention span...Let's go toe to toe. I've read ALL of Nietzsche's stuff and i have very strong opinions about it. Do I have to remind you that Nietzsche killed himself? or is that romantic to you...
    Last edited by Johann; 12-06-2002 at 06:30 AM.

bazarov Guest
    Yes, critical values, I'm not going to define things which are common sense to people with a brain.

Your assumptions are of no interest to me, I have read all of Nietzsche's work and I've never taking him and abused him and made him my own demon such as you do, I am assuming you know all about him, were you there when he wrote each of his works? You pretentious cretin, why not just put your nose in the cold air because you will not get any respect from me.

My nihilism has nothing to do with Nietzsche, where you get that analogy I do not know, I think you just want to strut around here like some moron.

"Don't get it" about philosophers? Again, pretentious and assuming, since philosophy has multiple meanings, there is nothing to "get". So take your shabby ass and stuff it.

And I'm not your "friend" dick breath.

And my "attention span" is worth more to the world than your observation, I don't call an overtly dull and boring movie "attention filled". But do go on and call it a wonderful piece of cinema since its constructed toward simpletons and morons.

I'm no "fan" of Nietzsche for I don't seem him as a curiosity but as a noble breed of rare humans who fought against mediocre values that people like you possess.

He did not kill himself either, learn history before you deal with me you ignoramus piece of deritritus. This is the last response you'll get from me asshole.

Aw...to be crazy

[/B] A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.

Any casual stroll through a lunatic asylum will also show the strange realistic power that the insane possess.

If Baalozov or molotov is russian, then I'm the king of Siam.

I was hoping for an intelligent word war. No dice, eh?
    I say "limited attention span", you call me "dickbreath & moron" and say educated phrases like "shabby ass". Did you learn that in ESL classes? Not once did I resort to name calling. I'm convinced you're from the US. I don't think a Russian would be so quick with slang.

If you knew me you would know that I'm the farthest thing from pretentious. (You've given friends of mine lots to laugh about) I just happen to be well read and appreciate vast amounts of art. I'm just a regular joe. If you had intuition, you would realize that that "friend" comment was dripping in sarcasm.
    To clear up what I meant by "get it" with philosophers is: YOU don't "get it" with NIETZSCHE. See, hooked on phonics!
    A nihilist who reads Nietzsche. ALL of Nietzsche.
    BUT HIS NIHILISM HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH NIETZSCHE?
    Back up the bus Chachi.
    I have completely ceased taking you seriously.
    How can a nihilist not like a story about 2 communists in a love/hate relationship? (and one who screws Trotsky?) I'm instantly reminded of Antonio's line "I'd rather have an intelligent enemy than a stupid friend."

Goodbye stranger. You're not either padre.

and I really wanna know what the fuck critical values are...
    Last edited by Johann; 12-10-2002 at 02:34 AM.

If you knew me you would know that I'm the farthest thing from pretentious. (You've given friends of mine lots to laugh about) I just happen to be well read and appreciate vast amounts of art. I'm just a regular joe.
    ha (friend laughing). hats off to regular joes with vast appreciation for art. good enough for me.

THREAD OFFICIALLY OVER!! YIPPEE. Not a censor, but would prefer to ring the bell, call the fight etc etc.