Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oscar nominations

Shit! I just found out I said the line wrong. But no matter- he got what I meant.
    The line is "No wonder he saw Jesus- Homey's rocking the ganj!"
    My bad.
    It's still stuck in my head tho: "He must've seen Jesus, Man- he's rocking the ganj!" It just SOUNDS that way to me...ha ha
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

I don't quite agree with your guys that this year's nominations are the lousiest in years. Quite the opposite, I think that compared to last year's triumph of a mediocre-in-all-respects-but-cinematography "Slumdog Millionaire", this year's nominations are quite interesting.

I watched 7 out of 10 of the films nominated for Best Picture (missed "Up" and still waiting for "The Blind Side" and "Precious" to hit UK cinemas) and I cannot say I disliked any of them. Sure, District 9 is not worth an award, but films like "Up in the air", "Inglourious Basterds", "Avatar" and "A Serious Man" are great achievements (each in its own genre). I don't want to join the flame-war about "Hurt Locker", but I have to admit it's a movie that was made with a reason (a message even) and that in spire of that, it did not turn into unwatchable propaganda - quite an achievement.

As for the actors, lots of remarkable roles have been appreciated, like Mulligan's performance in An Education or Firth's great role in A Single Man.

Not a bad year for film and not bad nominations (although as always, a few crappy ones as well, just to mention "Ajami" in the "best foreign film").
    Borys 'michuk' Musielak

Filmaster.com -- film buffs community, social movie recommendations

There's no consensus here on that. I haven't condemned the year's films or the Academy's choices. The Best Foreign category remains a weak area.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12