Thread: JOE STRUMMER: The Future is Unwritten

JOE STRUMMER: The Future is Unwritten

JOE STRUMMER: The Future is Unwritten (Julien Temple)

This is one powerful document on the late, Great Joe Strummer.
    Does he deserve a full documentary?
    Yes he does.

A very complex man who knew the difference between crap and truth, Joe lived a Great life, full of passion and epic highs and lows.

Masters Martin Scorsese & Jim Jarmusch speak about the impact Joe had on them, and the series of cool people who speak about Mr. Strummer are quite impressive: Johnny Depp, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, former friends & fellow students/squatters, Don Letts, Bono, even (choke) David Lee Roth embarrasses himself with his loud comment that bands like the Clash shouldn't be so serious. Yeah, OK Diamond Dave...will do....

This is a man who was keenly intelligent, loved Rock and Roll and loved people.
    He was always happy to be alive, because unbeknownst to his mates or loved ones, he had a heart condition that could kill him at any time.
    We're lucky we had him until 2002.

The film opens with the voice of Joe over the radio airwaves, broadcasting his radio show. He says to the listener that his favorite Elvis Presley song is "Crawfish", (one I really dig too) because "t's got that New Orleans flavour to it". He plays "Day-O" (Harry Belefonte) and reggae tunes, among others. Man had taste in music..

The arc of his life is odd yet meteoric. He droppedout of art school and started a band after seeing the Ramones.
    He was a squatter that formed a band with his fellow squatters.
    Then the Clash were formed (great story about that) and their reputation and Legend grew and grew.
    The sold-out stadiums and massive success bothered Joe a little, because art vs. commerce is a problem for any real artist.
    This was a guy who took homeless people he didn't know into his care, this was a guy who admired a man who could create a whole aura around his own Art with NO HELP : Woody Guthrie.
    This was a man who hated stupidity and ignorance- see the interview where he goes off on an interviewer when he makes an issue of Paul's vomiting. Joe sets him STRAIGHT.
    The Energy Joe has...Man...that vocal booth shot on the opening credits where he just shouts: WHITE RIOT!!! and all you hear is his vocal...then BAM!!! the music kicks on and it's an Onslaught.
    Just tremendous.
    The whole film is tremendous.
    Julien Temple is known for the sex-pistols doc THE FILTH AND THE FURY

The Pistols just conquered, wherever they went. And so did the Clash. This film is essential viewing for a Clash/Strummer fan.
    And who isn't?
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Well lots of people are not Clash/Strummer fans and may know little or nothing about them. Thanks for this information. You liked these two docs so much you wrote their titles twice at the top of both threads.

I don't know why I didn't see this one, which is from 2007. I do see as many music docs as I can. But I have not seen THE FILTH AND THE FURY either, which is from 2000.

I'm watching The Filth and the Fury right now.
    Will post on it. It's just the kind of film I need at the moment...
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd