Thread: SOUTH OF THE BORDER (Oliver Stone 2009)

Threaded View

SOUTH OF THE BORDER (Oliver Stone 2009)

Oliver Stone: SOUTH OF THE BORDER (2009)

At the Walter Reade Theater September 23, 2009.
    [UPI Laura Cavanaugh]

SOUTH OF THE BORDER opens Friday, June 25, 2010 at Angelika Film Center in New York and in LA July 2. I do not know of its further release schedule in the US.* When I get the chance to see it, I'll provide a review here. This is just a preview.

In this new documentary Oliver Stone travels around Latin America and interviews seven left-leaning and allied leaders: Hugo Chavez of Venezuela, Evo Morales of Bolivia; Cristina Kirchner of Argentina; Rafael Correa of Ecuador; Raúl Castro of Cuba; Fernando Lugo of Paraguay; and Lula da Silva of Brazil. It premiered at Venice last year and also was shown in NYC by the FSLC with Lula and Chavez present.

Fabiola Moura wrote that "While the movie is explicitly rosy in its picture of South America's politics, it's a tonic dose of a perspective rarely seen in U.S. media coverage of the region." NPR says the film tells only one side of the story and gives "kid glove treatment" to Chavez and his allies. --Wikipedia

Stone's "Border" Shows Fall of South America's Berlin Wall
    In April 2002, a U.S.-backed coup against the democratically-elected government of Venezuela collapsed. The failure of the Bush Administration's effort to overthrow President Chavez was world-historical for South America because it sent a powerful new signal about the limits of the ability of the U.S. to thwart popular democracy in the region. Following the reversal of the coup, presidents were elected across South America promising to reverse the disastrous economic policies promoted by Washington. The story of this dramatic transformation has been largely untold in the U.S.. But on Friday, Oliver Stone's new documentary, "South of the Border," opens in New York.
    -- Truthout

See also: IMDb.

*Yes I do. It's here: http://southoftheborderdoc.com/in-theatres/. It comes to my area of northern California July 16, 2010.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 07-11-2010 at 09:51 PM.