Thread: BEST MOVIES OF 2010 -- so far

Hybrid View

My list is only US-released films (though many you could not see in the middle of the country or rural areas). If I listed unreleased ones there would be others. Some of the Rendez-Vous and ND/NF ones, and You Think You're the Prettiest, But You're the Sluttiest (Che Sandoval 2008). If Hadewijch (Bruno Dumont 2010) is a US release I will list that. The Rivette and Resnais ones are coming and you may want to list them; I may take another look at the Resnais, which is coming to the Bay Area soon. NY film buffs love Zhao Dayang's GHOST TOWN and he does show talent but I did not like it. I think it counts as a US release though. There is also LEBANON, the Israeli film, a prizewinner, coming to theaters. I reviewed that as part of the 2009 NYFF.

THE SECRET IN HER EYES didn't especially grab me so I left it off.

FISH TANK is great and I forgot to list it so I've added it to my ongoing list above.

LOURDES makes sense but it leaves me cold so I won't list it.

MILK OF SORROW or PERSIAN CATS I have not seen -- or any of your unreleased favorites. So we compliment each other by seeing and commenting on different things.

NOTHING PERSONAL I've read about but not seen.

I had forgotten Cyrus which has now been added to my previous post. I know you wouldn't want to list it.
    But, based on my readings of your reviews, I think you would want to list I am Love, right? I would have to find the time to see it tonight (last day of theatrical run) otherwise I will watch it on disc.

Right, I would not list CYRUS. I am debating about I AM LOVE. But I would advise seeing it, and if possible, in a theater.

I notice that you included the Banksy doc. Have you seen The Oath and/or Stonewall Upraising? The former is dominated by a fascinatingly ambiguous character. The latter is amazing to me because there is scant photographic record of the historical events depicted and yet the filmmakers manage to create intense drama out of interviews, a few old photos, and very brief recreations.

Wrote a review of THE OATH as part of New Directors/New Films in March. Good material and thought of listing it, but it didn't stand out for me quite as much as Banksy's doc. Ever see Michael Winterbottom's ROAD TO GUANTANAMO?

Have not seen STONEWAL. It opened in Berkeley Friday but I've been under the weather.

Edmund White wrote a pungent piece in 2007 for the weekly The Stranger. I also liked a witty rant White wrote for that Seattle mag's 'Queer Issue' in 2003, "Appropriate Stupidity,"
    Specifically the Gym-Haunting, Dick-Worshipping, Book-Avoiding Sort. . .Once upon a time straights cornered the market on dumbness.

INCEPTION will be the Best Film of the Year.
    (just FYI) lol
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

The early reviews are very positive. The Variety review gives me confidence to predict Inception may well be the best American film of the year (so far) because reviewer Justin Chang is usually reliable. The possibility that a challenging, cerebral movie may be massively popular is very exciting to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Johann View Post
    INCEPTION will be the Best Film of the Year.
    (just FYI) lol
    I just watched "Inception" last night and I've got mixed feelings about it. It is a cleverly constructed, well acted and properly executed piece of cinema. It has its unique climax built by a very powerful score (by Hans Zimmer) and a surprising mix of visual effects and cinematography (Wally Pfister). The weak part of the movie is the story. Don't get me wrong - it's quite an interesting, half-original idea and it shines compared to most modern blockbusters. But it still disappoints. The whole idea seems simply so unreal and the problems so out of touch that I found it very hard to get engaged.

Here is my "first impression" Inception review.
    Borys 'michuk' Musielak

Filmaster.com -- film buffs community, social movie recommendations