Thread: BEST MOVIES OF 2010 -- so far

Hybrid View

BEST MOVIES OF 2010 -- so far

RECOMMENDED US THEATRICAL RELEASES THUS FAR (regularly updated)

As of Dec. 24, 2010.

-Ajami (Scandar Copti, Yaron Shani 2009) DVD
    -Alamar (Pedro Gonzalez Rubio 2010) DVD
    -American, The (Anton Corbijn 2010) DVD
    -Animal Kingdom (David Michôd 2010) DVD
    -Anton Chekhov's The Duel (Dover Kosashvili 2009) No DVD yet
    -Daddy Longlegs (Josh and Benny Safdie 2009) DVD 2011?
    -Exit Through the Gift Shop (Banksy 2010) DVD
    -Eyes Wide Open (Haim Tabakman 2009) DVD
    -Father of My Children, The (Le père de mes enfants, Mia Hansen-Løve 2009) DVD
    -Fighter, The (David O. Russell 2010) Dec. 2010 release
    -Genius Within: The Inner Life of Glenn Gould (Michèle Hozner, Peter Raymont 2010) DVD in 2011
    -Ghost Writer, The (Roman Polanski 2010) DVD
    -Greenberg (Noah Baumbach 2010) DVD
    -Mademoiselle Chambon (Stéphane Brizé 2009) DVD
    -Making Plans for Léna (Non, ma fille, tu n'iras pas danser, Christophe Honoré 2009) no DVD yet
    -Prophet, A (Un prophète, Jacques Audiard 2009) DVD
    -Social Network, The (David Fincher 2020) DVD
    -Solitary Man (Brian Koppelman, David Levien 2010) DVD release
    -Somewhere (Sofia Coppola 2010) Dec. 2010 release
    -Terribly Happy (Henrik Ruben Genz 2010) DVD release July 13, 2010
    -Toy Story 3 (Lee Unkrich 2010) DVD
    -Welcome (Philippe Lioret 2009) DVD release August 1, 2010
    -Winter's Bone (Debra Granik 2010) DVD

This is from a page on my website where I list all the films I've seen in theaters so far this year with links to my reviews of them. The year is now half over. Have there been any great new American movies? Even though TOY STORY 3 was overrated in my view I list it here in recognition that it is well made and moves many people. But for me, THE SOCIAL NETWORK is the real grownups' great American movie of 2010. Brilliantly done, relevant, with wide appeal.

Many of these will be on DVD within a month or two if they aren't already.

*Alamar July 14-20 at Film Forum in NYC. SFFS at Sundance Kabuki in San Francisco from July 20. Making Plans for Lena at Kabuki August 6.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 12-24-2010 at 09:32 AM.

I am glad you posted this list. You inspired me to start my own. Something I had not done this year.Many of the films I have really liked this year are unlikely to get distribution. They include Grandmother (Philippines), Moloch Tropical (Haiti), Crab Trap (Colombia), Eccentricities of a Blond Girl (Portugal) and Medal of Honor (Romania). It is nice to reminisce about these screenings. Who knows if I will get a chance to rewatch any of them. However, City of Life and Death directed by Chuan Lu (the excellent Mountain Patrol) and Nothing Personal (starring Stephen Rea) are likely to be released before the end of the year.

At the moment, my 3 favorite movies distributed in 2010 are:
    NO ONE KNOWS ABOUT PERSIAN CATS
    FISH TANK
    THE MILK OF SORROW ('09 Silver Bear winner finally opens next month)

Just below these in no particular order:
    The Wind Journeys (Colombia) Film Movement
    Lourdes (Jessica Hausner)
    Alamar
    Cyrus
    The Secret in Their Eyes
    Vincere
    Chloe
    Here & There (Serbia/USA)

I am sure I forgot a title or two.
    Last edited by oscar jubis; 07-16-2010 at 10:27 PM.

My list is only US-released films (though many you could not see in the middle of the country or rural areas). If I listed unreleased ones there would be others. Some of the Rendez-Vous and ND/NF ones, and You Think You're the Prettiest, But You're the Sluttiest (Che Sandoval 2008). If Hadewijch (Bruno Dumont 2010) is a US release I will list that. The Rivette and Resnais ones are coming and you may want to list them; I may take another look at the Resnais, which is coming to the Bay Area soon. NY film buffs love Zhao Dayang's GHOST TOWN and he does show talent but I did not like it. I think it counts as a US release though. There is also LEBANON, the Israeli film, a prizewinner, coming to theaters. I reviewed that as part of the 2009 NYFF.

THE SECRET IN HER EYES didn't especially grab me so I left it off.

FISH TANK is great and I forgot to list it so I've added it to my ongoing list above.

LOURDES makes sense but it leaves me cold so I won't list it.

MILK OF SORROW or PERSIAN CATS I have not seen -- or any of your unreleased favorites. So we compliment each other by seeing and commenting on different things.

NOTHING PERSONAL I've read about but not seen.

I had forgotten Cyrus which has now been added to my previous post. I know you wouldn't want to list it.
    But, based on my readings of your reviews, I think you would want to list I am Love, right? I would have to find the time to see it tonight (last day of theatrical run) otherwise I will watch it on disc.

Right, I would not list CYRUS. I am debating about I AM LOVE. But I would advise seeing it, and if possible, in a theater.

I notice that you included the Banksy doc. Have you seen The Oath and/or Stonewall Upraising? The former is dominated by a fascinatingly ambiguous character. The latter is amazing to me because there is scant photographic record of the historical events depicted and yet the filmmakers manage to create intense drama out of interviews, a few old photos, and very brief recreations.