Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BEST MOVIES OF 2010 -- so far

I haven't seen too many movies in theatres this year, so I'm sorta out of the loop on what's good or great so far.
    I'm jealous you guys get your butts into so many screenings...

As for INCEPTION, I'm really looking forward to it, as it's been two years in the making, and is the next picture for Nolan since The Dark Knight. (and the cinematography looks very very similar..coincidence? I think not). Wally Pfister is a Master director of photography. I love how he works too: he never knows what the shot is going to look like until they are about to do it- it's very loose, very free- it reminded me of Stanley Kubrick saying that he never knew where he would put his camera, that he would just "try and get the most interesting stuff going" and then the shots find themselves.

I think we're all looking for a "GOOD MOVIE" right now. Something with a good story and is told with some skill and impactful images.
    Are those movies rarer and rarer or what?
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

I've added another title that I didn't think of at first:

Daddy Longlegs (Josh and Benny Safdie 2009)

I think these boys could turn out to be more interesting than the Duplass brothers. DADDY LONGLEGS is an obscure film you could probably only see if you were nearby the IFC Center in NYC at the right time, or LA, or Sundance, or BAM.

A unique film I'd like to draw people's attention to. Available via Video On Demand.

After so much discussion of I AM LOVE, I will add it to the list, even though it may not make the final cut of my "Best Foreign" films if what comes out in the fall is good.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 07-14-2010 at 10:03 PM.

[QUOTE=Chris Knipp;24688] I'm impressed that the film appeals to a 17-year-old since Andy is that age. When I was 17 my tastes were very different. They haven't changed much, just new movies have come along. Back when I was your son's age, movies I liked were REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE, PICNIC, MARTY, TO CATCH A THIEF, MR. HULOT'S HOLIDAY (an all-time favorite,) RIFIFI (ditto) and THE LADYKILLERS. I did not want to see GUYS AND DOLLS or LADY AND THE TRAMP.
    Dylan has fairly wide interest in movies. He absolutely loves GUYS AND DOLLS by the way, and appeared in a stage production of it. He loves the Harry Potter films almost as much as the books. He also loves well-made horror films. The last film he really liked was the very adult drama CHLOE. A film I found utterly absorbing. Something that might sneak into my 2010 list. It's by Egoyan so I am not surprised I like it more than most people.

I see two of your favorites are ones I've missed, WONDERLAND and BUTTERFLY KISS.
    Dennis Lim aptly describes WONDERLAND as "a bruised romantic's wary valentine to London life" and compares it to WKW's "ravishing Hong Kong nocturnes". What is absolutely undeniable about BUTTERFLY KISS is Amanda Plummer's fierce performance.

Now it's become too late to watch 9 SONGS tonight. But I've enjoyed our exchanges today on this and I AM LOVE. I am stuck at home sick so it gave me pleasantly distracting to do.
    I've enjoyed them too. And I hope you get well soon Chris.

*I missed chances to watch DADDY LONGLEGS. It's clear I wouldn't list I AM LOVE.
    Last edited by oscar jubis; 07-15-2010 at 10:46 AM.

Thanks for your good wishes.

You didn't answer my question re Winterbottom:
    Not sure of course about the ones I haven't seen. Have you seen the ones I've mentioned and just not liked them?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Knipp View Post
    Thanks for your good wishes.

You didn't answer my question re Winterbottom:
    WELCOME TO SARAJEVO (1997) 72 :Good movie.

24 HOUR PARTY PEOPLE (2001) 85
    A print-the-myth, self-aggrandizing approach to rock history but a lot of fun anyway.Dennis Lim was right to write: "As a historical document, 24 Hour Party People may be most meaningful to fans whose epiphanies were experienced at least one remove away -- at a different place or time."

9 SONGS (2004) 43
    This movie plain doesn't work but I won't begrudge Winterbottom for experimenting a bit. Watched it in NYC with a sizable crowd who seemed bored by it.

ROAD TO GUANTANAMO (2006) 64
    I found it disappointing.I went into detail about its flaws in this forum a few years ago.

TRISTRAM SHANDY: A COCK AND BULL STORY (2006) 80
    A MIGHTY HEART (2007) 74
    I liked these two. I remember defending A Mighty Heart here at Filmleaf. The search engine makes it difficult to find the precise post.

THE SHOCK DOCTRINE (2009) XX
    THE KILLER INSIDE ME (2010) 53
    I haven't seen them
    Last edited by oscar jubis; 07-15-2010 at 10:57 PM.

Oscar,

If you loved "The Milk of Sorrow" you should definitely see "ALTIPLANO" ( that I reviewed as part of the TOFIFEST coverage: http://www.filmleaf.net/showthread.p...n-Torun-Poland ) which is starring the same actress, also takes place in Peru, and shares equally unique cinematography, but discusses a completely different problem.

From other movies llisted,
    - I loved "Fish Tank", "Eyes Wide Open", "Father of My Children, The" and "Ghost Writer, The"
    - "Prophet, A" was interesting but I prefer previous Audiard's films
    - " Lourdes" was interesting and discussion-provoking
    - so was "Trush Humpers" but that's a film I would not safely recommend to anyone
    - I liked "The Killer Inside Me" - a fair movie, very well-directed, but it's not a must-see
    - "No one knows about Persian cats" was nice but I just could not ignore the fact it was such a low-budget film with no real actors (reviews it on Filmleaf earlier this year)
    - "Alamar" bored me to death
    - "Ajami" was way too long and had an amateurish feel I didn't like (think: poor man's Amores Perros but more political)

And from those not mentioned, I also recommend:
    - Kynodontas (Dogtooth)
    - Tetro
    - "10 to 11" (Turkish film)
    - Patrice Chéreau's "Persécution"

And I'm seeing INCEPTION tonight :)
    Borys 'michuk' Musielak

Filmaster.com -- film buffs community, social movie recommendations

Thanks, I will make sure I watch ANTIPLANO when it opens in the US later this year.
    Like you, I wasn't all that impressed by AJAMI but I understand why many are quite fond of it.
    I liked TETRO but it opened here last year hence not listed in this thread.
    I absolutely hated PERSECUTION, especially the protagonist as played by Roman Duris.

Thanks for all your comments, Michuk, and I'm glad you're up to speed on all these. Please check inn more often if you can. I second most of what Oscar says. Will watch for Altipiano. Dogtooth has not been shown theatrically here. You are both right about Ajami; it's just interesting for the content, and the circumstances of the filmmaking. Tetro was last year in the US as Oscar says. I saw Persecution as part of Film Comment Selects earlier this year and agree with Oscar on that one, annoying film, annoying Romain Duris. One thing I tend to disagree on is Prophet, by Audiard. His previous films may be more interesting conceptually but it is an ambitious and memorable film, hence every bit as impressive as they are.

I plan to watch Inception now too, but having been sick for the past week I may not get to it the first day as I usually do. Also to see here is The Kids Are All Right, very well reviewed already, which opened in San Francisco last Friday and in the East Bay today.

I added Marco Bellocchio's VINCERE to the list I posted in the previous page. Chris wrote a good piece on it for his NYFF coverage last year. It's a formally lush view of Mussolini and his moment in history from the perspective of his betrayed and unacknowledged first wife and son.

VINCERE. Did you just see it, Oscar? I wrote a "good piece" on it for the NYFF 2009, but I have not listed it for anything. It's best visually, and for the sound, and is rather operatic. I think Michuk gave it a 7. I don't think it will make the final cut but it is above average certainly and in a generally weak Italian field it stands out, but not on a level of IL DIVO or GOMORRAH (neither of which I particularly love). VINCERE comes off very well on Metacritic (85). Pretty high.

Did you see any of the other Duplass brothers films, Oscar? What did you think of CYRUS? I thought you commented favorably on it here but I don't see that.

I watched VINCERE months ago, but did not spring to mind while writing the post listing the movies I liked this year. Images from the film kind-of popped into my consciousness the way film images tend to do and I remember my enjoyment of it. So I decided to edit the post to include it. I find it to be much more compelling than Il Divo.
    I thought the earlier Duplass films were quite forgettable. As I argued in another thread, Cyrus is a good movie. I hope people go see it.

Where is that other thread where you argued in favor of Cyrus?

Quote Originally Posted by Johann View Post
    INCEPTION will be the Best Film of the Year.
    (just FYI) lol
    I just watched "Inception" last night and I've got mixed feelings about it. It is a cleverly constructed, well acted and properly executed piece of cinema. It has its unique climax built by a very powerful score (by Hans Zimmer) and a surprising mix of visual effects and cinematography (Wally Pfister). The weak part of the movie is the story. Don't get me wrong - it's quite an interesting, half-original idea and it shines compared to most modern blockbusters. But it still disappoints. The whole idea seems simply so unreal and the problems so out of touch that I found it very hard to get engaged.

Here is my "first impression" Inception review.
    Borys 'michuk' Musielak

Filmaster.com -- film buffs community, social movie recommendations

I'd agree, and am impressed by your photos of the London crowd; not so many to see it here in the East Bay. Haven't seen lines like that since BEING JOHN MALKOVITCH. But tht cinemas has folded.

I only would add that the STORY is a pretty major element. Some of the initial palnning about the dream-invading projects and their purpose seems a little vague.

I'd sum up:

A good cast and clean, elegant look make this story of dream-manipulation the class blockbuster of the summer. Narrowly Hollywood, though, the concept that dreams consist of nothing but action movie sequences.

I have written a review of INCEPTION and you'll find it here.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 07-17-2010 at 09:04 PM.

By the way, the best movie of 2010 is Fritz Lang's METROPOLIS.

Unlike the digitalized BREATHLESS currently in theaters, this METROPOLIS should be considered a new release. It is 25 minutes longer than any version released previously in the US. That's a significant improvement. The 2008 discovery of this footage in an attic in Buenos Aires is the event of the decade as far as film historians are concerned. This is one of Fritz Lang's undeniable masterpieces, about class conflict in the 21st century, and now we can delight in something damn close to the original 1927 German release.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast