Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Art-house theaters in your area?

LA theaters

the ones I've been to in LA:

The Egyptian

A beautiful theater from the classic days of Hollywood. Well curated and with quite a few appearances from directors/cast.

The New Beverly

Going tonight. All I know is that it's got a nightly double feature for $6. Tonight - Chinatown and The Tenant. Apparentally it's in danger of closing...

There are many others which I have yet to visit.
    P

I walked by The Egyptian in L.A. (American Cinematheque). They were showing Lawrence of Arabia at the time. Hollywood Blvd., right?

Too bad I didn't have time to go in. The exterior of The Egyptian is stunning.
    Last edited by Johann; 03-03-2004 at 06:06 AM.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Yesterday I drove by a strip mall here with a new sign up for "Bollywood Theater". I'm intrigued. The environs are standard suburbia stuff, but the films being shown inside sound interesting.

Hey, J

I'm a recent devotee to Bollywood (1.5 years). We have a theatre dedicated to Bollywood here called the Moviedome. I go every couple of weeks when they show a new film. (New for me- the films are often many years old).

The themes are the same for the most part in Bollywood.
    Now I watch them for the odd dynamite song or gorgeous starlet.

Come To Salt Lake City for Art Theatres!

Salt Lake City has doubled its art movie theaters - Madcap is now operating out of newly renovated Odeon Cineplex multiplex housed in the Historic Trolley Square just a few blocks from downtown Salt Lake City. The capitol of Utah now boasts of eight movie screens for art cinema - one at the Original Tower Threater, four at The Broadway under Tower Management and now three more screens at Trolley Square.

So anybody wanting to experience independent films now has a great reason to move to Salt Lake City (though I must admit I have to drive 30 minutes myself to get there).

Actually, the theater is called "Bollywood Cinema 6", which is the perfect name for an Indian movie theater located in the heart of American suburbia. I'll have to check it out.

Tabuno, I was in Salt Lake City in December, went there to go skiing (and the skiing was phenomenal) but I was impressed with the city itself. Clean, beautiful, and friendly. I didn't make it to one of the theaters you mentioned, but we did go see "The Last Samuri" at The Metroplex. The theater had bean bags at the front near the screen, which was pretty cool. Just walk right by the seats and plop yourself down in front.

Cowman Guest

Art theatres in Detroit...

I'm from the Detroit area, and there's (unfortunately) very few arthouse theatres around here, as I'm sure is the case with most cities nowadays.

But we do have:

The Main Art Theatre in Royal Oak
    The Maple Art Theatre in Bloomfield Hills
    The Fine Arts Theatre in Detroit

and the best of them all is the Detroit Film Theatre, located within the Detroit Institute of Art... This is not only my favorite place to go to see movies, but it's one of my favorite places to go, period. The Museum itself is absolutely gorgeous and has an amazing collection of all kinds of art, and the theatre is constantly showing little-known foreign/indie/art films, both new and old. They just got done screening Modern Times with Charlie Chaplin recently. Has anybody else ever been here?

Are you still in L.A., P?

The Egyptian is showing a Lars von Trier retrospective until the end of the month!

The Kingdom part 2 on the big screen!

Salt Lake City, Utah Art Theatre Directory

For those passing through town in Salt Lake City, Utah and feel a little lost without your art film fix, here are the theater specifications for anymore who needs to feel more at home:

Tower Theater, 876 East 900 South.
    Broadway Theater, 111 East 300 South.
    (801) 321-0310.
    www.saltlake filmsociety.org.

Regency Theaters, 602 East 500 South (in Trolley Square).
    (801) 746-1555
    www.Regencymovies.com
    All seats $5.00 before 5:30 pm

Salt Lake City, Utah missing link

Oops.

Website site address got chopped off.
    Tower Theater, 876 East 900 South.
    Broadway Theater, 111 East 300 South.
    (801) 321-0310.
    www.saltlakefilmsociety.org.

I feel pretty lucky, I live around 3 miles from the nearest Art-house cinema "The Chapter" but it's the only one in this area of Wales, none of the larger towns/cities certainly within a 20 mile radius of Cardiff have one. On average I use "The Chapter" around 6 times a month as opposed to around 8-10 times a month at the mainstream multiplex.

The only problem (and the reason I don't use "The Chapter" more often) is because it's awkward to get to, even though it's only a few miles the traffic congestion is so bad it's quicker to walk there which is fine in the daytime but not so hot in the evenings. Still I've seen some terrific films there, just this year I've seen the likes of:

Kontroll
    Head On
    Turtles Can Fly
    Onibaba
    8 1/2
    Samaria
    Maria Full of Grace
    Vodka Lemon
    Holy Girl and many more that would never have been in the multiplexes.

The website for The Chapter is www.chapter.org and they have a strong line up (although smaller than usual) for April.

Cheers Trev.
    The more I learn the less I know.

Regency Theater

Another art house theater has been open in Salt Lake City, Utah for about a year now, located in the Historic Trolley Square, former home to the City's trolley system that operated until sometime into the middle of the last century, 602 East and 500 South. Regency took over from an earlier theater chain that went out of business. The five theaters have been refurbished and offer both art house films and mainstream films. Prices are little cheaper than other movie theaters in the City.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12