Thread: The Perfect Holiday DVD Gift

The Perfect Holiday DVD Gift

We all love film and can't wait to get the next movie on our wish list as collectors. Some of us have wish lists all over the place, at most web site with large catalogues. We look at lists, drooling over titles we can't wait to add to our growing libraries.

So besides the obvious ones this season like, ET, Lord of the Rings SE, Spiderman, MIB II, etc., there are as many tastes out there as there are genres.

What's on your Santa list this year you'd love in your stocking?

I want so many older films, but I'll settle for the short list:

Back to the Future Trilogy (Robert Zemekis loving but hysterical tribute to small mid-western America)

The Indiana Jones Trilogy (Spielberg and Lucas collaborate to produce one of the finest across the genre spectrum film series ever created, featuring lavish locals and a lush rousing score by John Williams).

The original Star Wars Trilogy (what is it with threes!!!) Only tweeked a little more here and there to match the newest versions)

Some classics like Little Big Man, special editions of Titanic and Batman, or silly ones that mean something to me like the original Village of the Damned with George Sanders, or The Day of the Triffids (Great Britains's silly exercise in sci-fi). La Ventura in all its technicolor splendor. And speaking of technicolor, where in the hell is Errol Flynn's The Adventures of Robin Hood, the only slightly masculine version of the English hero out there.

Yes, I have a wish list... albeit, a rather impractical one. So Santa, I hope you read film post sites. Be so kind as to drop something down my chimney I can watch on Christmas night. I'm gettin tired of Wonderful Life, Miracle on..., Charlie Brown, Scrooge, and White Christmas. Please Santa, surprise me this year!

WISH LIST TOP 10.

GOD LIST

I wish these were released on any format:
    BERLIN ALEXANDERPLATZ(Fassbinder)
    AU HASSARD BALTHAZAR(Bresson)
    SATANTANGO(Bela Tarr)
    CAIDOS DEL CIELO(Grimaldi)
    KILLER OF SHEEP(Burnett)
    SMOKING/NO SMOKING(Resnais)
    A TIME TO LIVE AND A TIME TO DIE(Hou Hsien)
    SUMMER AT GRANDPA'S(Hou Hsien)
    INQUIETUDE(De Oliveira)
    PLATFORM

SANTA LIST

I wish I could afford these DVDs:
    THE CARL THEODORE DREYER BOX(Gertrude,Ordet,etc)
    LES VAMPIRES
    THE GERMAN HORROR BOX(Die Nibelungen,Golem,etc.)
    THE HUMAN CONDITION (3 vols.)

GIFT LIST

THE RIVER(Renoir) vhs
    THE MIRROR(Tarkovsky)
    SUNRISE(Murnau) vhs
    DEAD MAN(Jarmush)
    HALLELUJAH I'M A BUM!

Amen on "Au Hazard Balthazar". I haven't seen it yet but it's one I'm dying to see.

My DVD wish list is fairly esoteric:

The Kingdom part II (Trier)
    Salo (Pasolini)
    La Strada & Casanova (Fellini)
    The Baby of Macon (pipe dream in Canada)
    Tigero
    The Wicker Man (deluxe box) - I always debate buying this when shoppping. (I always leave without it) beautiful looking set.
    Noce Blanche (Vanessa Paradis is gorgeous-Depp is a smart man)

BTW, Anchor Bay is a saviour of a distributer. They have the same clout as Criterion if you ask me:
    Iguana, Girl on a Motorcycle, Suspira, Herzog films, Candy, etc etc.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd