Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best movies of 2010 lists

What about Hard Eight? As a noir?

Not related, but you have seen Incendies? I forget. I think you have.

Also have you seen Tatiana Huezo's documentary The Tiniest Place?
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 07-10-2011 at 12:37 AM.

Paul Thomas Anderson released two movies in 1997. I listed Boogie Nights and not Hard Eight, although I remember liking it. My guess is that I like(d) it more than the Dahl films...

Incendies played at the MIFF then had a theatrical run here. I missed it. But it will start at 2 week-run at another cinema and I will check it out. Have not seen Huezo's film but remember your review clearly.

Most of my diet consists of films I might show my students and films I might reference in my book, but I do try to watch enough contemporary cinema to have a clear sense of what's going on. I've stayed away from summer movies but that's about to end with the Potter and Planet of the Apes films coming up.

Do try to see INCENDIES and Heuzo's film if you get a chance. INCENDIES is seriously flawed but nonetheless a remarkable piece of work, one of the best of ND/NF this year. THE TINIEST PLACE seemed to me flawless.

Of course PT Anderson is a better director than John Dahl, it's just that Dahl produced some nearly pure noir with the true noir kind of situations and characters. I think HARD EIGHT was made a good while before BOOGIE NIGHTS and they were released 17 months apart. HARD EIGHT in Un Certain Regard at Cannes May 1996 and BOOGIE NIGHTS at Toronto October 1997. I'd say Anderson keeps things very simple in HARD EIGHT, whereas his other films are complicated things with bathos, violence, and absurdity and multiple plots.

I was going by date of US theatrical release. I agree with your comments.
    Chris, if you were to show one, perhaps two films noir to a large group of 20 year-olds, which would it (they) be?

Two films noir isn't enough! Needs to be lots. But do you mean classic American; French; or US neo-noir?

I'm not much of a real fan of B-picture B&W American noir. Going by the Wikipedia list you could include as noirs films by A-listers, The Maltest Falcon and Strangers on a Train.

French noirs particularly Jean-Pierre Melville - Le Doulos and Le Samourai. They list The Third Man on the Wikipedia Film Noir article.

So how about three, one from each group?

P.s. It seems to me Hard Eight came out in US theatrical release well before Boogie Nights. Do you mean they came out at the same time? No, but maybe the same year, I don't know.

Two things to consider: The scope of the course is wide: world cinema since 1940. There are 13 screenings of 2 hours 40 minutes each. Enough time to show one regular feature and a shorter related documentary, about the director or style for instance, or a feature and something shorter like La Jetee or Night & Fog. These are the films noir I am considering for the screening and their duration. Perhaps I could get permission to stretch the screening time to show Gun Crazy and Pickup as a double feature... I am inclined to show Out of the Past and a short educational film about the noir style.

THE BIG HEAT (89)
    MINISTRY OF FEAR (86)
    PICKUP ON SOUTH STREET (80)
    GUN CRAZY (86)
    OUT OF THE PAST (97)
    TOUCH OF EVIL (95)

Hard Eight was released in the US in Feb. 1997 and Boogie Nights in Oct. 1997 (according to IMdb)

Well in that case you are dealing with the classic noirs, which I don't care for that much, but those are good ones. Your last idea sounds like the wise choice.

Like I said Hard Eight was almost in 1996 and Bogle Nights was almost in 1997 :).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123