Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New Directors/New Films and Film Comment Selects

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Knipp View Post
    You should not take my reviews personally. They only express my own views.
    I'm sure you must have known that statement would draw a reaction.
    "They must find it hard, those who have taken authority as truth, rather than truth as authority" Gerald Massey

No, I didn't.

I'm working on a revised and slightly expanded version of this somewhat hasty summary (prepared to be out before I left the city and before the series public screenings began) for Cinescene and I will take into consideration your objection to how I described Belle Épine, but I still have to be true to my own response.

March 24, 2011 New Directors/New Films press release:

New York, NY, March 24, 2011-The Museum of Modern Art and Film Society of Lincoln Center announced today that the members of Hole will reunite to celebrate the first of two New Directors/New Films screenings of P. David Ebersole’s documentary, HIT SO HARD at MoMA on Monday, March 28 at 6:00PM.

The reunion will mark the first time Love, Erlandson, der Maur and Schemel have been together at a public event in 13 years.

Courtney Love, Eric Erlandson and Melissa auf der Maur will join former bandmate Patty Schemel for the New York debut of Ebersole’s rockumentary.

Screenings:
    Monday, March 28th 2011 | 6:00 PM | MoMA
    Wednesday, March 30th 2011 | 9:00 PM | FSL

Filmleaf review.

Highly recommended. Last chance for ND/NF screening:

Bogdan George Apetri: Outbound (Periferic) 2010

ND/NF screenings:

Thursday, March 24th 2011 | 9:00 PM | MoMA
    Saturday, March 26th 2011 | 5:30 PM | FSLC

Norwegian film series-

The Film Society of Lincoln Center is mounting a series, THE FAR SIDE OF PARADISE: NEW FILMS FROM NORWAY. Since this is somewhat unusual I want to provide info on it, but I will not be attending. I'm in California and expect to do coverage of the SFIFF as announced. There is not link for this schedule yet so I'm just inserting it here for now.

PRESS RELEASE

FILM SOCIETY OF LINCOLN CENTER announces
    THE FAR SIDE OF PARADISE: NEW FILMS FROM NORWAY
    April 27 - May 4

Screening Venue:

The Film Society of Lincoln Center – Walter Reade Theater
    165 West 65 Street, between Broadway & Amsterdam (upper level)

Wednesday, April 27
    2:00PM THE LIVERPOOL GOALIE (85min)
    4:00PM LIMBO (105min)
    6:15PM THE KING OF DEVIL’S ISLAND (120min)

Thursday, April 28
    2:00PM TOGETHER (100min)
    4:00PM THE MAN WHO LOVED YNGVE (99min)
    9:00PM LIMBO (105min)

Friday, April 29
    12:45PM DEATH IS A CARESS
    2:40PM THE ANGEL (97min)
    4:40PM DAMAGE SHOT (94min)
    6:45PM DEATH IS A CARESS (92min)
    (Followed by Film Discussion)
    9:15PM THE MAN WHO LOVED YNGVE (99min)

Saturday, April 30
    4:40PM THE ANGEL (97min)
    8:30PM THE KING OF DEVIL’S ISLAND (120min)

Sunday, May 1
    2:00PM DAMAGE SHOT (94min)
    4:00PM THE LIVERPOOL GOALIE (85min)
    6:00PM HOME FOR CHRISTMAS (85min)
    8:15PM Experimental Film Program (100min)

Monday, May 2
    6:15PM Short Film Program (87min)
    8:10PM TOGETHER (100min)

Tuesday, May 3
    2:30PM THE WAYWARD GIRL (95min)
    4:30PM Experimental Film Program (100min)
    6:20PM HOME FOR CHRISTMAS (90min)
    8:40PM THE WAYWARD GIRL (95min)

Wednesday, May 4
    1:00PM Short Film Program (87min)
    3:00PM LEND ME YOUR WIFE (80min)

FILM DESCRIPTIONS FOR THE FAR SIDE OF PARADISE: NEW FILMS FROM NORWAY

THE ANGEL (2009) 97min
    Director: Margreth Olin
    Winner of the National People’s Choice film award and Norway’s Oscar candidate this year, Olin’s deeply felt drama follows a woman trying to get her life on track after years of struggling. Growing up, Lea has a fragile mother who is attached to a cruel alcoholic; as an adult, she herself faces the heartbreaking challenges of drug abuse. Showcasing a wrenching Maria Bonnevie as the adult Lea, The Angel moves from a lyrical treatment of Lea’s childhood years to the hard truths of adult responsibility, in a story drawn from the experiences of one of Olin’s friends.

HOME FOR CHRISTMAS (2010) 85min
    Director: Bent Hamer
    Norwegian all-star Bent Hamer has a knack for striking and holding the deadpan tone that eludes most would-be conjurers of life’s many absurdities. With his latest, Hamer (who directed the superb Charles Bukowski adaptation Factotum)beads together the darkly comic travails and passions in a small town on Christmas Eve. Building on the humor, mood of solitude, and warm visuals of his past films, the ensemble story displays Hamer’s wry take on yuletide sentiment.

KING OF DEVIL’S ISLAND (2010) 120min
    Director: Marius Holst
    Based on a notorious uprising at a boys’ reform school in 1915 that required military intervention, Marius Holst’s island-bound epic is a grim study in adolescent rebellion and the rigors of regimentation. At the prison-like institution, the boys endure the rough-handed abuse of the school’s staff, who run the risk of pushing their charges over the edge. Starring Stellan Skarsgård as the school governor and a rugged young cast drawn heavily from nonprofessionals.

LIMBO (2010) 105min
    Director: Maria Sødahl
    A coming-of-age drama for adults unfolds in the sunny climes of Trinidad in Maria Sødahl’s Seventies-set feature debut. Sonia and her two children arrive to join her husband, who manages off shore oil rigs, in a verdant expat paradise replete with cocktails, sun dresses and casual infidelity. The radiant Line Verndal turns in a moving performance as Sonia, who must reconsider the boundaries of trust in a home that is not her own.

THE LIVERPOOL GOALIE (2010) 85min
    Director: Arild Andresen
    A school-daze crowd-pleaser and award-winner at this year’s Berlin Festival, The Liverpool Goalie takes us to the suburban world of the shy, studious 13-year-old Jo (Ask van der Hagen), who treads a careful path through the disaster-prone world of middle school, until he falls into step with The New Girl, a spitfire named Mari. Director Arild Andresen sends wide-eyed Jo through increasingly madcap adventures that show growing pains in full force.

THE MAN WHO LOVED YNGVE (2008) 99min
    Director: Stian Kristiansen
    Set in 1989 with vintage soundtrack, a young man's rough and tumble search for identity and a sense of belonging animate Stian Kristiansen’s high school sex comedy. Amateur rocker Jarle, his girlfriend Katrine, and best friend Helge are a tight-knit bunch, until handsome Yngve arrives at school to send an unexpected charge through Jarle. Based on a best-selling novel, the popular adaptation by Kristiansen captures the surging, sometimes crude, and sometimes beautiful energy of adolescence.

TOGETHER (2009) 100min
    Director: Matias Armand Jordal
    What’s fascinating about Matias Armand Jordal’s stirring father-son portrait is the emotional strength displayed on the younger side of the equation. After a sudden, catastrophic accident, twelve-year-old Pal (Odin Waage) and father Roger (Fridtjov Saheim) find themselves without the one radiant person who anchored their lives – wife and mother Kristine. Jordal takes us through a world of grief that brings out the best and the worst in those left behind.

EDITH CARLMAR TRIBUTE
    Norway’s first female director, Edith Carlmar (1911-2003) blazed a ten-year trail across the Norwegian cinema with work that was also profitable at the box office, working together with her husband Otto, in their independent production company.

DAMAGE SHOT (Skadeskutt)(1951) 94min
    Director: Edith Carlmar
    Carlmar helped rejuvenate a national industry with successful melodramatically tinged works, and Damage Shot reflects her willingness to confront fraught issues of social concern. An intriguing moment in her career came with this look at a troubled husband whose melancholia tips over the edge into a dark depression as problems at home hit a crisis point. While the treatment he receives may be an artifact of the time, the way people around him respond reflect Carlmar’s interest in the tensions and fears that can arise when a life grounds to a halt.

DEATH IS A CARESS (Døden er et kjærtegn) (1949) 92min
    In this offbeat, finely-detailed melodrama wealthy socialite Sonja chooses handsome, muscular mechanic Erik when she drops off her car for repairs. He comes to accept her attention. She divorces and he breaks off his engagement to marry her. Few films have more effectively conveyed a kind of “male hysteria,” as Erik comes to regard his wife as a deepening enigma whom he can’t control or understand.

LEND ME YOUR WIFE (Lån meg din kone)(1958) 80min
    Carlmar Film, the independent production company the filmmaker ran with her husband Otto, also put out comedies, including this adaptation from a witty novel by Erik Pouplier. The director’s second-to-last movie is a comedy of the sexes about a man looking to get ahead in his career but lacking one key component of the successful executive profile: a wife. When a helpful married friend makes an unusual offer, shenanigans follow, with Carlmar clearly keeping one winking eye on the polite-society backdrop.

THE WAYWARD GIRL (Ung flukt)(1959) 95min
    The final film by the remarkable Edith Carlmar turned out to be the work that introduced the world to one of cinema’s most magnificent actresses — Liv Ullmann. A ravishing 20-year-old here, Ullmann radiates a sensuality that alternates between innocence and a dark seductive power. The illegitimate daughter of a bitter mother, Gerd (Ullmann) attracts the attention of Anders, a student from a good middle-class family. Defying his parents, who strongly disapprove of Gerd, Anders takes her on a trip to a cottage deep in woods. There, their relationship flowers; Carlmar includes provocative scenes of the two young people together that must have been shocking for contemporary audiences. The isolated world they create at the cottage seems too good to be true, and it turns out it is, as their idyll is interrupted by a passing vagrant and the concern of their parents.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 04-08-2011 at 06:19 PM.

Tweet from the Film Society of Lincoln Center:

FilmLinc The Film Society
    WSJ - Lincoln Center Hits Its Mark. Renovated Film Society Gets a New Description: Multiplex http://ow.ly/5fauU

This is big news for the FSLC. They have opened a new theater complex on the other side of the street from the Walter Reade Theater where New Directors/New Films, The Rendez-Vous with French Cinema, Film Comment Selects, and the Press&Industry screenings of the NYFF are all shown. This is part of the general renovation of Lincoln Center that has gone on for several years and includes the sharp-looking re-do of Alice Tully Hall. That building also houses the Jullianrd School. I'll see the new Film Society cineplex this fall when I am there for the New York Film Festival.

Natalie Keyssar for The Wall Street Journal
    The new Elinor Bunin Munroe Film Center includes an 87-seat amphitheater, above, with a 152-inch plasma screen, the largest in the world.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234