Thread: Egoyan gets political

Egoyan gets political

Canada has few filmmakers that are household names.
    Atom Egoyan is our child- we love the guy and he never lets us down.

Ararat is a powerful political piece that he's wanted to make for a long time. A labour of love shot not far from my city, he's made his "damn the torpedoes" film. I'm glad the reviews have been universally positive, because the film is stunning. Deep yet entertaining- once you get into the story you are INTERESTED.
    Christopher Plummer is great- so is the lead- and of course, the always riveting Bogosian. Some people in these woods have said it's Egoyans' best- you decide. GREAT MOVIE
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Re: Egoyan gets political

Originally posted by Johann
    Canada has few filmmakers that are household names.
    Atom Egoyan is our child- we love the guy and he never lets us down.
    David Cronenberg is no slouch but Egoyan is more consistent. He came to Miami for the American premieres of Speaking Parts and Family Viewing and I was fascinated. He matured as an artist with his masterpieces: Exotica and The Sweet Hereafter, which had more of an emotional impact on me than his earlier films. I also appreciate the way he experiments with narrative structure. I eagerly await Ararat's release here(and Cronenberg's Spider).
    Johann, one of my fave films of the 90s was made for Canadian T.V.: John N. Smith's The Boys of Saint Vincent. Have you seen it?

I have not seen "St. Vincent", but I have heard of it..
    What's it about?

BOYS OF ST VINCENT

Part I(90 mins.) of BOYS OF ST. VINCENT deals with a real life case of child abuse in a catholic orphanage in 1970s Newfoundland. Part II is a court drama dealing with the impact of the abuse on the lives of the boys 15 years later. I naively expected Henry Czerny to become a big star based on his awe-inspiring performance.

Ah yes, I remember now. I grew up in the maritimes- this story was a BIGGIE in it's day. It was a big tv event too, if I recall, but I didn't see it. Was it CBC or the National Film Board? I'll try to track it down.
    Preists should not have to remain celibate. Or Nuns, for that matter. How can you supress your primal human urges in the name of spirituality? Mind over matter, I suppose.